PDA

View Full Version : 3rd gear problem help!

Ntensweapon
10-11-2008, 08:06 PM
I started having a problem today. When i would shift into third the engine rev for a second and then grab. Almost like a clutch slip. The wierd thing is, it doesn't do it in any other gear. While trying to diagnose it further, it would occasionally make some noise. Similiar to a chain slipping. (my chain is tight)
I don't know. Feels like maybe it pops almost out of gear for a split second when i lay the power down. I can drive it nice in third for a while. once it grabs it will accelerate until it slips again
It still shifts up and down smoothly.There is no metal in the oil. I can take off in 4th gear when trying. So that would eliminate a bad clutch. Right?
So what could it be? I don't know the anatomy of these engines, but could it be a shift fork or spline or something that holds the gear?
I'll be taking it to my motor guy on monday. I'm just curious if anyone has had this happen. Or if a motor guru knows exactly what is going on

thanks in advance
Tom

Wheelie
10-11-2008, 09:20 PM
I had the same thing happen about 5 years ago to my quad. The ears on 3rd gear and the corresponding shift collar are rounded so 3rd tries to pop out under power.

The cases will need split and 3rd gear will need replaced. My suggestion is thoroughly look over every component in the trans for wear and replace anything in question while you're there.

Ntensweapon
10-11-2008, 09:52 PM
thats what i was afraid of. splitting cases is never cheap. Yeah we'll check everything out while it's open. definately cheaper in the long run.
thanks for the help

Wheelie
10-11-2008, 10:19 PM
If you're mechanically inclined, buy a service manual and do it yourself. Splitting the cases sounds intimidating at first, once you actually get it tore down and see how simple these things are, the fear will disappear.

Splitting the cases isn't very expensive when you do it yourself.

Ntensweapon
10-12-2008, 11:48 AM
would i need any specialized tools? I would like to do it myself. I watched my mechanic split cases on my blaster...it didn't look too easy. my biggest fear is parts falling all over and not seeing where they were suppose to go.

Wheelie
10-12-2008, 12:02 PM
Buy a good service manual, either Clymers, or Honda.

You'll need a torque wrench, strap wrench, flywheel puller, and press. There might be more, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Ntensweapon
10-12-2008, 12:20 PM
thanks wheelie