View Full Version : I'm S.O.L.

Brauap
10-11-2008, 07:46 PM
Back around April I bought a 2000 Yz125 for $1,000. The whole thing seemed fishy, and didn't come with a title, but I was too anxious and stupid to wait for another deal to come along so I bought it.

Well, recently I went to sell it, and put it on Craigslist. I had already dumped over 600 dollars into it, and was asking $1,300. Well, I got a call today and someone said they wanted to come and see it. They drove over 2 hours to see it. After he got here, he looked at a couple of things and said "Well, we have a problem here. This bike is stolen. And here is the title. It was stolen from me about 1 year ago."

So, he took it with him and didn't even leave me a dime for putting on a 400 dollar top end, 80 dollar sprockets, ect. So now I am S.O.L. and out about 1,600 dollars (Thats a ton for a 14 y/o!)

Just wanted to vent some. I am soo depressed. And my 400EX is screwed up. So far I have 101 dollars saved up. I need about 1,500. I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!

Ralph
10-11-2008, 07:58 PM
Did you get a bill of sale from the guy you bought it from?

Brauap
10-11-2008, 08:04 PM
Yes. I am atleast thankful he didn't press charges or anything. Be we are on Lou. The guy I bought it from. That no good, rotten son of a ....

coryatver
10-11-2008, 08:29 PM
Dude there is no way I would have just let the guy take it. They would have to come with some cops or somebody for it to go anywhere especially since you have a bill of sale

Kickstarts-suck
10-11-2008, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by coryatver
Dude there is no way I would have just let the guy take it. They would have to come with some cops or somebody for it to go anywhere especially since you have a bill of sale

^^^

What he said.

jrspawn
10-11-2008, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by coryatver

Exactly what he said!!! There are far too many similair scams going on nowdays. It might have just got it from you. Out of curiousity did you tell this person before they came for it or in your posting it didnt have a title?

You need to call your local DMV and police department. Try the DMV first and ask them to run the VIN for any theft issues. Sometimes it works, sometimes they tell you they cant and will give you a number to call the police. At that point call the police and they will run the number while you wait and can tell you if there is an issue.

I feel bad for you man, and i hope you just didnt get screwed on it. But like others said, you should not have let someone show up and take it with just showing you titlework(in which is VERY easy to duplicate/make) The police Should have been involved with both sides, i cant see them not showing up with the cops, or you guys should have called the cops then and there to verify it. But again i feel bad for ya man, hope it works out though for you.

Thank you
Justin

brian76708
10-11-2008, 09:14 PM
sorry to here that i guess your not fixing your 400 up know

Brauap
10-11-2008, 09:32 PM
I never said anything about a title. And when he came, the VIN matched 100% and he knew the number on the rear shock spring (Race Tech)

He was the orignal owner of it. He even had the purchase price of it.

Master LTR450
10-11-2008, 10:15 PM
does the bill of sale you got have the vin numbers and the signature of the person you got it from?

JForestZ34
10-11-2008, 10:20 PM
From reading his first post, when he bought it from the person he didn't have the bill of sale.. SO the original owner came to see it and HE STILL has the title.. So the guy that bought to for the really good deal got hosed.. I feel for ya but there is nothing you can do.

James

Master LTR450
10-11-2008, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Ralph
Did you get a bill of sale from the guy you bought it from?

Originally posted by Brauap
Yes. I am atleast thankful he didn't press charges or anything. Be we are on Lou. The guy I bought it from. That no good, rotten son of a ....

sounds like he got a bill of sale and if that bill of sale has the vin number and a signature you might be able to go after whoever sold you the bike if you can get in contact with the rightful owner of the bike and have him explain to the proper authorites what happened.

byrdman37876
10-11-2008, 10:35 PM
sucks but u are damn lucky, he could have went off of the deep end and called the po-po out.

Brauap
10-12-2008, 07:55 AM
This was his story when I bought it off of him.

I was painting this guys house, and when I got finshed, he never paid me. So instead he gave me this dirtbike as pay. But I really need money, thats why I am selling it.

Well, I hope the 1G that we going after him for sets him back even farther!

I KNOW I AM STUPID FOR BELIEVING HIM!!

10-12-2008, 11:42 AM
not to sound like an *** but its your own fault. Thats the way it works, you should never buy something without a title because if it turns out to be stolen they get their vehicle back and your out of money. You cant even go back after the person you bought it from. At least the guy got his bike back.

mineralgrey01gt
10-12-2008, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
not to sound like an *** but its your own fault. Thats the way it works, you should never buy something without a title because if it turns out to be stolen they get their vehicle back and your out of money. You cant even go back after the person you bought it from. At least the guy got his bike back.

i agree, but to the OP, since your so young, your parents couldnt warn you away from a bike with no title? I know your young and anxious and we all get screwed in life, but just make sure that you learn your lesson this time. Sorry but you got screwed with no vasoline on this one

10-12-2008, 11:58 AM
i bought and sold tons of bikes without titles but always made a very detailed bill of sale.

YZ400EX
10-12-2008, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Brauap
This was his story when I bought it off of him.

I was painting this guys house, and when I got finshed, he never paid me. So instead he gave me this dirtbike as pay. But I really need money, thats why I am selling it.

This is believable and may have even happened.. Now the guy got his house painted for free and has his bike back if this is the case.. My friend who owns his owns his own siding business does this all the time.. if someone cannot pay for the job once finished, he works something else out with them and takes property of equal value.. It happens all the time.. You have to get paid somehow :D. You cant undo the work and the courts take forever for this type of stuff.. I do feel bad for you though.. sucks bad.. Hope things work out for you!

Master LTR450
10-12-2008, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider

I have been in a similar situation before and as long as you have a bill of sale that has the vin numbers and the signature of the person you got the bike from on that bill you can go after him for everything you paid for that bike and you put into that bike as long as you have all the reciepts as well. Also just so you know in the some states the dont even issue Titles, so how can you buy a bike with a title if it never had one, and i guess you shoulod never buy an aftermarket frame either because they dont come with titles either!!

But just for future refernce if you ever get a bike with a bill of sale make sure it has these 4 things. the selling pice, the vin number, date of sale and the signature of the person you are buying it from.

KXRida
10-13-2008, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by ******101
i bought and sold tons of bikes without titles but always made a very detailed bill of sale.

Same here. I've bought new bikes out of state from shops without titles.

As far as letting the guy leave with the bike, no way would that be happening, title or not. He'd be staying in town until things to worked out. I doubt this is your situation, but I've seen original buyers keep the title, sell the bike, end up wanting it back, report it stolen, and claim it theirs because they still have to title. It happened to a buddy of mine.

Plus... $400 for a top end? That better include a new cylinder and head for that price. 125 top ends are $150 MAX I think motosport outlet sells the kit for like $110 and that includes gaskets. Sorry to hear about your loss, but no way would some guy who I am not 100% positive is the real owner, leaving with my bike. I guess in a way though it is a good thing that the original buyer got his bike back, but scammer's are pretty damn good at what they do. This is what my bill of sale includes...

BILL OF SALE

I do hereby swear that on (enter date here) I sold/traded the following Motorcycle

Make:_____________________________________________ ______________

Model:____________________________________________ _______________

Year:_____________________________________________ ______________

I further swear as the seller that I am the owner of the described motorcycle.

Sold/traded to:_______________________________________________ ______________

For:______________________________________________ _______________

Make:_____________________________________________ _____________

Model:____________________________________________ _______________

Year:_____________________________________________ _______________

I declare and affirm under the penalties of perjury that this information has been examined by me, and to the best of my knowledge and belief, is in all true and correct.

Seller Signature:________________________________________ __________

Seller Address:__________________________________________ __________

Purchaser Signature:________________________________________ _______

Purchaser Address:__________________________________________ ______

Witness:__________________________________________ _______________

smr
10-13-2008, 09:26 AM
dude..there is no way you should have let the guy take the bike. Every state is different and Ky law says we don't have to transfer titles on off road vehicles. You should have gotten the cops involved and let them sort it out. You most likely would have still lost the bike but you would have had a really good chance of nailing the guy that sold it to you.

Brauap
10-13-2008, 01:04 PM
Welp, my dad said he is going to talk to his atturny (don't have a clue how to spell it) and he is going to send Lou a cerrtified letter. If he doesn't respond to it, we are going to take him to small clames court. I am going to add up my recepts and add it to the 1G I bought it for. It also helps my dad is good friends with a judge and lawers! ;) :p

Also for my top end, it consisted of:

New Piston/Rings/Circlip/Bearing (Wiseco)
Freshly Nikisiled/Dimond Honed/cleaned up cylinder

It came to $375

KXRida
10-13-2008, 03:26 PM
glad to hear you're pursuing it the right way though, but damn that was an expensive plating. Who did it? US chrome only charges maybe $200. Where did you get your top end from?