PDA

View Full Version : 2007 400ex

Ohiostatefan
10-11-2008, 11:37 AM
ok - just bought a new (leftover) 2007 400ex...(black)

Ordered AC Nerfs, A Arms Skids, Front bumper, minus 1 tooth front sprocket, Shock covers.

What else are some good initial mods without touching the motor (yet). I don't want to add a pipe and jet it YET.

Interested in ya'all thoughts......
Go Bucks!

TheNewn
10-11-2008, 03:56 PM
Tires/wheels? Stock wheels are pretty strong, so some Kenda Klaws XC style would be nice.

Steering stabilizer? handle bars/risers? hand guards?

Just out of curiosity, why no pipe yet?

Darebee
10-11-2008, 07:04 PM
I know this goes against the norm here but I like my bike quiet.
I know you can squeeze a few ponies with a pipe but I am happy with the power as is (the handlebars try to hit my face in the first 2 gears as is(ya I like it but don't need more)).
Of course I am not a "power" user like a lot of you guys.

racerdan24
10-11-2008, 07:16 PM
my .02.....

Air filter?

Darebee
10-11-2008, 07:35 PM
Ya
K&N and hand guards yet.

lilyamaharacer4
10-11-2008, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Darebee
Ya
K&N and hand guards yet.

Get anything but a k&n, i like my uni and twin air filters.

Ohiostatefan
10-12-2008, 06:25 AM
Responses:

No pipe yet because I want to keep it quiet for now....I'm riding on some farm land across the street from my neighborhood. I'm sure performance will be coming in 2009 and I'll add a pipe, etc then.

Thanks for all the responses ....hand guards and filter are thingsI had not thought about.
I know the black shows every scratch...so I'm also thinking about graphics....

I'd love to see and hear your suggestions on those too....I'm surfing and reading everything I can so I'm sure I'll be up to speed quickly on the best sites.

Kepp postin' up your thoughts and suggestions!

Thanks....and GO BUCKS!

:macho

boosted3g
10-12-2008, 06:43 AM
How about a hcs1 thats really not opening an engine up. Good performance gain even with a stock pipe and easy to install.

lilyamaharacer4
10-12-2008, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by Ohiostatefan
ok - just bought a new (leftover) 2007 400ex...(black)

Ordered AC Nerfs, A Arms Skids, Front bumper, minus 1 tooth front sprocket, Shock covers.

What else are some good initial mods without touching the motor (yet). I don't want to add a pipe and jet it YET.

Interested in ya'all thoughts......
Go Bucks!

Go and order a pro armor or armadillo skid for the chassis and swingarm too, those are the most important skids there are. The stockers dont do anything really. Also why did you go down another tooth, 05 and up have a 14 up front. A 13 will just give ya more power but for trail riding the perfect combo on a stock motor seems to be 14/38

Darebee
10-12-2008, 09:42 AM
A 13 will just give ya more power but for trail riding the perfect combo on a stock motor seems to be 14/38

I intend to go to a 14 front asap as well.
I would like to use 2nd gear once in a while when in the bush.

Dangerous400EX
10-12-2008, 06:11 PM
I am very happy with my 13 tooth front, it makes reverse a lot tamer and makes 2nd very powerful for tight trails.

If you ride in wide open areas a lot, or a lot of high speed running you may want to keep the 14 tooth

Ohiostatefan
10-12-2008, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Dangerous400EX
I am very happy with my 13 tooth front, it makes reverse a lot tamer and makes 2nd very powerful for tight trails.

If you ride in wide open areas a lot, or a lot of high speed running you may want to keep the 14 tooth

Glad to hear you like it....I was getting worried about dropping a tooth.
I am looking for a bit more bottom end...I'm not intertesed in running top speeds as much as I am quick bursts.

I am curious now about how many mph I will actually lose on top end though. :confused: :D only curious and don't really care...if I know I am going to ride more open area's I'll change it back then.

TheNewn
10-12-2008, 08:06 PM
Two simple mods i think would wake up the engine a bit that i plan on doing soon to my 2002.

+6 degree key from sparks or something of the sort, and just a K&N with an outerwares and a simple rejetting would be a noticable improvement and still keep it quiet.

cheap and effective, both of them.