PDA

View Full Version : about the 400ex's

Chet
10-11-2008, 11:36 AM
let me give a brief rundown, where I am coming from, I wanted to try a quad back in 86. I bought a new 230 quadsport and had it a week, it had bump steer and was not what I wanted in the performance world, I sold it and purchased a new 86 Honda trx250r, this was a perfect quad, after porting it and adding a 38mm keihin and a Paul Turner pipe, I believe it is now Duncan Racing, this bike went on to many wins on flat tracks and motocross tracks including 2 wins at Loretta Lynn's Hurricane Mills, so now after 20 plus years I want to get a quad to play with and have a little get up an go, I am 63 and consider myself in decent shape and can still put it a few good laps before I get somewhat winded, but here are the facts, my buddy has his mind set on a new 09 Yamaha 700 Raptor, I want to go the 400ex route, most likely he will leave his stock and I will leave ot stock for awhile too, but there will come a time for us to run them side by side, I am asking some questions if the 400ex in the woods will stay with a 700 Raptor, how do they compare in the handling dept, example over the rough terrain and cornering. I went to a local dealer here in NEPA, North American Warhorse in Scranton PA, they let me take a few out in the parking lot for some test rides, first I test rode a Z 400 Suzuki, and after remembering what my 250R quad ran like, I figured over the years they would be close to performance, I was stumped when I rode it, it flattened out so fast, all bottom end and that was it, I did not know this was the trend in the sport quads, then I rode a new Honda 700xx with the independent rear suspension, and I thought that was worse, it fell flat when I opened it up quicker than the Z400 the Z400 seemed like it may have been a faster bike, but I only rode them in a parking lot going thru 3-4 gears, I never did get to ride the 700 Raptor, but with some of the 07's Honda 400ex going for good prices is why I am here with these questions, any opinions on this choice of quad, If I am going get lost in the Raptor 700's dust let me know, will adding a pipe and a larger carb do the trick or possibly a pipe and rejetting, I don't want to spend a ton of money on this project. and can any riders here mention a few places where some good deals can be found on some new left over 400ex's they can be found here for $5000.00 but I am hoping I can do much better.

thanks
Chet

street bikes,
Yamaha FZ1, tuned by Ivan's Performance. 132hp
SV6550S with an M4 pipe

drew416ex
10-11-2008, 09:29 PM
most 4 strokes from the factory are mostly bottom end. A lot of this has to do with the stock exhaust, its pretty restrictive. I havnt riden a 700 raptor, but I have ridden a 660 and the 400ex handles way better. Its not as heavy and it feels like it sits lower. As for power, a good slip on ($250 at most), 450 carb ($100 or less), and a stage 1 hotcam ($130). You wont flat out out run him, but he wont do it to you either. TO really get something out of it you need to bump up compression, get the head ported, and a bigger cam than the stage 1, but thats that much more money.

boosted3g
10-12-2008, 06:54 AM
In my opinion i would stay away from the 400ex if you are concerned with power output. I got an 07 at the end of last october and before it was even a year old the engine has been swapped with a 450r engine. I absolutly love the handling, feel, and comfort of the 400 it just dont have any balls. I did a piston, cam, full exhaust and carb and it made a difference but it needed more. I am 6-0 and about 210 lbs so i am also not the smallest guy riding these. With the prices on these now especially in Pa with the dealers being so overloaded id shop around. A new 400 can be had for less than 5k. If your having trouble head down here to Lancaster, they are on the floor here for 4700.

lilyamaharacer4
10-12-2008, 07:19 AM
Our local shop has brand new 07s for 3999 or something close to that.

10-12-2008, 08:31 AM
ok...coming from a 2 stroke monster)the 250r), you will never have that hit that you want...the 450r and yfz 450 will come closer than either the machines you have mentioned. now in the 700 raptor vs the 400ex...in the woods...you'll be able to keep up, on any straight or oval track, most likely not...again a 450r will keep up with him until the very top end...

riding a 450r in the woods is not easy...i actually think it is more work with the clutch than a 250r...it needs to be kept in a higher rpm range, you can't just ease over on trail objects.

the geometry of the 400ex is almost exactly like the 250r geometry so the handling is very very close...a little change in suspension and the ex feels just like a 250r...the 450r took a lot of work to get it to feel like y old ex...

i haven't spent a lot of time on the rappy 700, but it handled better than the rappy 660's that i have been on. it wasn't quite as good as my 450r in the handling dept(stock ride height was higher on the raptor than my 450r, which was higher than my 400ex). i think the suspension was better on the rappy, but again the ride height took away from that...

i don't think you will really be happy with the power of either, coming from a 250r. the ex has some nice low end power that can be lugged around...not sure about the raptor for that, but the both kinda flatten out as a 4 stroke will. the rappy will pull much farther and have a higher top speed.

for me, after having passing my 400ex to my wife to get a 450r, i have since traded the 450r for a 400ex because it is a great trail machine. the 450r was too hard to ride on the tight trails that i ride on...at the slower speeds of the group i ride with most offen

Chet
10-12-2008, 08:56 AM
I am reading all the opinions and I am getting back into this sport, since I have the drive in me to have a competitive machine, i actually feel the same here as you guys about the 450 machines on the trails, still gathering info here, it maybe a 400ex, gonna do some reading about the potentials of the 400ex, is the aircooled a drawback in all day riding, do they get weak as the ride gets on in hot temps.

Chet

Chet
10-12-2008, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by lilyamaharacer4
Our local shop has brand new 07s for 3999 or something close to that.

Northern Cambria!! where are we talking what area.

Chet

good price

drew416ex
10-12-2008, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by Chet
I am reading all the opinions and I am getting back into this sport, since I have the drive in me to have a competitive machine, i actually feel the same here as you guys about the 450 machines on the trails, still gathering info here, it maybe a 400ex, gonna do some reading about the potentials of the 400ex, is the aircooled a drawback in all day riding, do they get weak as the ride gets on in hot temps.

Chet

If its jetted right, have some good oil, and maybe even a fan on the oil cooler, you can ride as long as you want.

10-12-2008, 09:20 AM
you may notice a little bit of fade in hotter temps, but anything will give you that...

for faster paced...non racing trail riding...the ex is where it is at...the big thing you will like about the ex is how close in geometry it was to your 250r. you will instantly fall into it and be able to max out its handling capabilities before you actually need more power...i am sure you know you can go faster with better suspension and a stock motor than you can with a built motor mated to an inferior suspension...

Chet
10-12-2008, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by speedyquad
you may notice a little bit of fade in hotter temps, but anything will give you that...

for faster paced...non racing trail riding...the ex is where it is at...the big thing you will like about the ex is how close in geometry it was to your 250r. you will instantly fall into it and be able to max out its handling capabilities before you actually need more power...i am sure you know you can go faster with better suspension and a stock motor than you can with a built motor mated to an inferior suspension...

Yes, I have been through that, I really got hooked on the 250r chassis and suspension mods in a hard pitched right or left turn, coming out of a fast right hander and the left front tire is off the ground a few inches, that was hooking up. I am hoping this is where my time will be made up when me and my buddy with his 700 raptor will have some fun.

Chet

10-12-2008, 11:27 AM
if you get the ex...through the woods shouldn't be a problem unless it is wide open full throttle woods...

the guy i my traded 450r to get his 400ex was doing well in his class on the 400ex...averaging 3rd...he would catch up and pass the 450s in the woods, but they would get him in the open fields...he is slowly working his way back up on the 450r...it is taking him a while to adapt to it...

Chet
10-12-2008, 12:35 PM
I noticed some of the riders are using over sized bores on the EX's. what are the stock cyls, are they lined or nicasil plated, how are you guys doing the over sized bores, new liners ect. please explain, on my 250R I had to put the liner in the oven to remove the old one, but it was a bugger, and since i had the 86 and it did not have the bridged exhaust port, that was a tough one to widen the ex. port, had to get an new 87 cylinder which had a bridged exhaust port and from then on we upted the pace, till we tried to use the cylinders from the CR 250 motocrossers and even made some more power, we were not able to utilize the exhaust valve, but it worked, Gary Denton back then was the boy to beat, he had some hi tech stuff back when it all started. Rodney Gentry was factory Honda on a 250R, after coming off of a 250r 3 wheeler and going to a quad, WHOA! what a difference it stopping power with the extra brake and wheel, we were charging hard into the corners where the three wheelers had to brake early. but back to the EX about the cylinders.

Chet

drew416ex
10-12-2008, 01:30 PM
The stock sleeve is just a cast iron sleeve with no coating. It can be bored up to a 426 (88mm piston or .120 over) and still be safe. If you go to a 440 (89mm piston or .160 over) it has to have a larger sleeve pressed in. Im not sure how its done because I get a machine shop to do it.

Chet
10-18-2008, 07:57 AM
I have been calling some dealers locally and the leftover 07's 400ex prices are still $4999 plus taxes, where are some dealers in PA that I give a call for some competitive pricing. still can't find the $4300 out the door pricing.

thanks
Chet

lilyamaharacer4
10-18-2008, 08:01 AM
The dealer is in carroltown pa and is only about 45 minutes from johnstown. Im not sure if they have any left up there or not. Ill pm you their phone number.

Dangerous400EX
10-18-2008, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Chet
I have been calling some dealers locally and the leftover 07's 400ex prices are still $4999 plus taxes, where are some dealers in PA that I give a call for some competitive pricing. still can't find the $4300 out the door pricing.

thanks
Chet
Dont be afraid to take a little ride to another state, I got my '07 out the door for $4500 with two helmets and boots in July. There are all kinds of dealers in southern MI advertising the $3999 for the 07's, and an '08 should not be more than $4500.

Honda ok's the prices, so a dealer who wont go lower is giving you the shaft

Dangerous400EX
10-18-2008, 10:44 AM
Oh yeah, for trail riding if you drop a tooth on the front sprocket you will be all over that 700's *** all day long. You will be giving up about 5mph on top end though

hypersnyper6947
10-20-2008, 09:58 PM
If your not to concerned about getting one brand new, and you have the cash you should look on craigslist, you can find some awesome deals outhere right now. I see stuff that looks showroom go for dirt. To me i will never buy new it depreciates before you even get it home to your garage. Let someone else take that depreciation then you get a deal.

I love my ex my buddy has a raptor 660, i know its different then the 700 a bit, but i like mine sooo much better. His is widened like mine but i still handle much better.

powermadd400ex
10-20-2008, 10:18 PM
i would look around for the right price, we picked up my 400ex brand new for 5k with moose nerfs,pegs, heelguards, all around skids, and a 1 year warranty back in march.

bmfgsxr
10-21-2008, 05:47 AM
watch ebay.. i saw a brand new 07 going for 3999 and i think it was in ct.

here is a new 07 for 4475

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Powersports_ATVs__New-2007-Honda-TRX400EX-Sport-Quad-ATV-Reverse-400EX_W0QQitemZ320310580091QQddnZPowersportsQQadnZ ATVsQQddiZ2816QQadiZ2753QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item32 0310580091&_trkparms=72%3A727%7C39%3A1%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

and as far as what quad to get it depends on what type of riding your going to be doing. if its mostly tight trails a 400ex is a great option, if its more wide open stuff then the raptor 700 might be a better option. although, id probably pick a trx450r over the raptor if the trails are wide open, and fast.

ridered1991
11-05-2008, 08:41 PM
I'm not sure where Scranton is but I know Tom Clark Motorsports has the brand new 07's for $3999. Its in Belle Vernon, PA

Tomclarksuzuki.com if you wanna check it out.

BTW you'll probably never get that 2-stroke explosive power at the top end from a 400ex or 700r but that's the beauty of the big bore. My friends 400ex's and Raptor's always have the power even in the low range. A 450 might do you good though, The easiest way to tell is to just get on it, but 450's today like to be ridden harder and revved out more like a 2-stroke (Which you may want coming from a 250r), and a 700r has the feeling of I'm the king with stump pulling torque.

It all depends on what you like.