PDA

View Full Version : Bearing carrier opinions

yernkie
10-10-2008, 10:13 PM
My stock one one my 400ex is toast, so I need to get a new one. What is the best way to go? My bike only sees trails and dunes. Are the double-row RAD carriers any good?

400exrider707
10-10-2008, 10:21 PM
The Rad's are probably one of the best choices for the money, usually fairly cheap on ebay.

Wildbrain
10-11-2008, 10:01 AM
Spend a few extra $$$$ and get a carrier with tapered bearings.

Make sure it is adjusted properly, keep it adjusted properly, and you will never again have trouble with your rear axel bearings.

I do some serious trail riding with mine and have never had any issues with my bearings since I switched to tapered bearings.

I do change the bearings at the beginning of a new season, weather they need it or not, and they always come out with lots of life still.

Another advantage with the tapered carrier is the grease zerk is located on the outside of the swingarm so you can shoot grease in it any time you feel the need to do so without removing the carrier from the swing arm.

http://www.moto-man.com/Tapered-Axle-Bearing-Carriers--HONDA_p_392-1498.html

400exrider707
10-11-2008, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Wildbrain
Spend a few extra $$$$ and get a carrier with tapered bearings.

Make sure it is adjusted properly, keep it adjusted properly, and you will never again have trouble with your rear axel bearings.

I do some serious trail riding with mine and have never had any issues with my bearings since I switched to tapered bearings.

I do change the bearings at the beginning of a new season, weather they need it or not, and they always come out with lots of life still.

Another advantage with the tapered carrier is the grease zerk is located on the outside of the swingarm so you can shoot grease in it any time you feel the need to do so without removing the carrier from the swing arm.

http://www.moto-man.com/Tapered-Axle-Bearing-Carriers--HONDA_p_392-1498.html

If you want to talk about not having problems...

Tapered bearings EAT horsepower... check out a dyno run between a standard carrier and a tapered carrier, it's quite surprising.

You can also get standard double row carriers with external grease fittings. Houser is one that I know off the top of my head.

Tapered bearings are also more expensive

On a side note, the only bearing carriers to my knowledge that use a hardned spacer tube inside are OEM ones and Baldwin ones. So for reliability the Baldwin is the best. Next is OEM. This is why a lot of pros use OEM carriers.