PDA

View Full Version : Got my piston, need opinions

leasureryan
10-10-2008, 07:21 PM
I ordered my piston today. Got the JE 12:1 87mm piston kit. I just can't decide between a stage 1 or 2 cam. I will be running all the normal rebuild stuff, XR head gasket, crf cam chain, HD studs, etc etc.

Do you think I will have plenty of top end with the 12:1, so go with the stage one where it adds bottom end,

or go with the stage 2 where it adds more top end because the 12:1 piston will make plenty of bottom end.

I don't know what to do here. Any of you guys have 1st hand experiance?

I also bought the Sparks advanced key to give it a little more *** until I get my spare cylinder bored, and put together. I will take it out once I get the high comp piston in it.

I can't wait. I've got everything standing by waiting for this rebuild, all my gaskets, cam chain guide & chain, valve seals, everything. HD studs are installed, just waiting to buy my cam and have the cylinder bored once my piston gets here

Wheelie
10-10-2008, 08:20 PM
The 12:1 compression will give it plenty of low end. Buy the stg 2 and let it breath, the stg 1, IMO will be holding the engine back on the mid-top end power.

drew416ex
10-10-2008, 09:39 PM
X2, deff get the stage 2. The stage 1 will kill your topend with that piston.

MtnEX
10-10-2008, 09:46 PM
So at what build point do you select the stage 2 over the stage 1?

drew416ex
10-10-2008, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by MtnEX

Its usually what you want. More compression generally makes more low end so you get a bigger cam for more mid to top. With 11:1 - 12:1 and a stage 2 you get a pretty broad power band. You will have good power from idle to the rev limiter. When I suggest a cam, thats what I go with, what will make the broadest range of power.

10-10-2008, 10:12 PM
get the stage 2 with a piston that high and it being overbored it will have plenty low end an top end with it.

Wheelie
10-10-2008, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by MtnEX

More displacement and compression.

MtnEX
10-10-2008, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Wheelie
More displacement and compression.

So what is the stage 1 cam good for?...
Maybe that's the better question.

drew416ex
10-11-2008, 07:38 AM
The stage 1 is better for stock or mild pistons like 10:1.

leasureryan
10-11-2008, 04:49 PM
cool.....stage 2 it is. I just didn't want to make a bad combination and have it run like arse.

Hotcams good, or go with a Webb? Is the Webb Grind the stage 2?

Also, any other suggestions? Add ons to make things even better? Any other "tricks"...lol I think I know most of them, but who knows. I can't wait to let the thing rip for the first time!

How much will I have to increase my jetting after the bore, the piston, and all the stuff on it? 1 size 3 sizes 10 sizes main??? I don't know where to begin! I can jet....I just don't want to start off a fresh build with a carb running to lean

Wheelie
10-11-2008, 06:10 PM
From my experiences Hotcams makes a damn good cam for the price. I've been running one for nearly 3 years without a lick of trouble.

I see a 450R carb listed in your sig, so I'll make my jetting suggestion assuming that's what your running:

stock 48 pilot, A/F screw out 2 turns, clip on the needle in the middle and a 178-180 main.

CarGuy7a
10-11-2008, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by leasureryan
Hotcams good, or go with a Webb? Is the Webb Grind the stage 2?

web cams are stock cams that are hardwelded and custom ground to their specs. so you have to run hardened rockers and all that other BS. it's ok if that's the way you wanna go.

Hotcams uses the stock rockers and valve springs. i'd go with a hotcam. i've been running one for 2 years now and no problems.

leasureryan
10-11-2008, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Wheelie
From my experiences Hotcams makes a damn good cam for the price. I've been running one for nearly 3 years without a lick of trouble.

I see a 450R carb listed in your sig, so I'll make my jetting suggestion assuming that's what your running:

stock 48 pilot, A/F screw out 2 turns, clip on the needle in the middle and a 178-180 main.

Bro.....I am running a 178 NOW in my 450R carb....

see what I mean........I'll just have to take a stab at it and see how it goes from there. I should know better than to ask for jetting specs here....everyones is differant, and everyone will tell you something differant.

Basicly....I want a guy to say "hey....I was stock at a 168....bored my cylinder to a 416 and cam'd ,high comp piston etc.....I raised my main to a 175, 190, etc etc"

I just need to know how far the jetting will need to be increased...I don't want to know what size jets, just how many sizes bigger. I think it will be much easier this way

I will choose a HotCam stage 2

Wheelie
10-11-2008, 10:23 PM
If you're at a 178 now, I'd step up to a 190 and tune from there.

FWIW, I run a 48 pilot and 200 main with my setup.

leasureryan
10-12-2008, 06:49 AM
thanks you....thats what I needed. In other words, jetting doesn't have to be raised much at all. Thats all I was looking for