PDA

View Full Version : Tire Weight/Performance...

Maryland 400EX
12-11-2002, 08:30 AM
Question: Knowing that the stock tires are 2 ply and Superlight but ineffective for the type of riding I do, how much weight gain is there with 4 ply or even 6 ply tires? I ride the rough stuff like unihabited trails, train tracks, highways (Knock on wood) and hard pack. I get flats EVERY time I go out but I'm very much performance oriented so I don't want tires that weigh a ton. From looking at previous threads I can see that the Bandits are very durable but heavy. The Razors also seem to be everyones favorite but how heavy and durable are they? Suggestions for my ride? Look at my sig for mods that I have so far.

YZROOSTINYA
12-11-2002, 09:10 AM
i run 22 maxxis sure trax on the rear(2 ply)

although there thin they have really deep bars they keep you away from sharp stuff. have yet to get a flat

and YOU DONT wann aride where i ride. imagine a field of razorbaldes. yep thats about right

Ex'r Marlin
12-11-2002, 09:10 PM
For your riding area, I would recommend the ITP XCR Holeshots... A little heavier than the stockers, about the same diameter, and lighter than the 20" XC's. I do not know the weight comparison between the XCR's and the Maxxis Razr's, but I would think the Maxxis Razr's and the XC's are about the same weight.

Good luck!:)

beerock
12-11-2002, 09:54 PM
maryland 400ex

I recently bought a set of maxxis razors and luv em.

I did some research on them and also talked to a bunch of exriders members. its hard to pick between the hole shots and the maxxis.

But two of my friends have holeshots and BOTH there sets of front tires leak and there rims arent even dented.

So Id say go with the maxxis.

the stock ohtsus are a awesome tire but its a pitty they cut down so easy. if they made the belt out of kevlar or steel belt, it would be the best tire out.

12-11-2002, 10:38 PM
Cant forget to check out the Kenda's cause they have some interesting light weight stuff thats pretty tough.

I have the Desert Dogs now called Knarly and they claim and seem to be pretty light compared to the other 6ply tires and are very very tough.

I have found they hook up OK but that prob could be part of the quads weight bias that is currently being worked out. Maybe even due to too much power from the ole 440 :)

Been using them for about a year and no apparent wear.

Maryland 400EX
12-12-2002, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the replies guys... The Holeshots and Razors seem to be very popular so I'd definitely give them both a look but the Kenda tires are a tad cheaper and deserve a look too. Another set of the Ohtsu's are definitely out of the question because I'm running out of tire patches! I need to make a decision soon! Again, thanks...

CranMan
12-12-2002, 09:54 AM
As to your question about the weight difference being an issue...I had 6ply Dirt devils on the rear my 400 for almost a year, and switched back to a set of stock rears. Man the difference was huge. I felt like I gained 10hp. Those heavy 6ply 22's were like dragging an anchor. Just my .02

QuadTrix6
12-12-2002, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by YZROOSTINYA
i run 22 maxxis sure trax on the rear(2 ply)

although there thin they have really deep bars they keep you away from sharp stuff. have yet to get a flat

and YOU DONT wann aride where i ride. imagine a field of razorbaldes. yep thats about right

kinda like riding through crack houses :eek: