View Full Version : New to forum/new to quads-just bought 06

rinaldi
10-10-2008, 03:14 PM
I just bought and will have delivered an 06 400EX that was a new leftover at a dealer. Great price I believe at $3300. I have had many bike over the past 18 years, but never a quad. Any recommendations on what to look for or add or just plan go riding and enjoy.

I was thinking of nerf bars and maybe a pipe, but wanted to know suggestions on both. Also where is a good place to get parts on the net that is reasonable and has great service?

10-10-2008, 03:56 PM
Welcome!

As far as exhaust, it depends on your budget. If you have a pretty decent amount for it, look into a curtis sparks. If you're on a budget, I would look into Lexx and maybe some used slip-ons like LRD, etc.

Many people will say HMF... but everyone has them so that alone makes me not want one.

I like Pro-Armor nerfs.. one of the nicer ones ive seen.

Rocky Mountain ATV has decent prices. www.motosport.com theres a bunch of good ones.

exrider87
10-10-2008, 05:16 PM
I say nerf bars are a must, that should be he first upgrade on any quad. As far as exhaust I like full systems, especially if you plan on any engine work down the road. I would ride it stock for a couple months and see how you like it and decide where to go from there.

hypersnyper6947
10-10-2008, 05:59 PM
just go riding and enjoy, then decide what you would like to add to customize your quad to you. In my opinion (IMO) nerfbars are the last thing i would add. You may want to change tires first or something that directly affects riding and control. My advice is just ride it and in doing that you will figure out what you want to change or modify first.

big95xj
10-10-2008, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by hypersnyper6947
just go riding and enjoy, then decide what you would like to add to customize your quad to you. In my opinion (IMO) nerfbars are the last thing i would add. You may want to change tires first or something that directly affects riding and control. My advice is just ride it and in doing that you will figure out what you want to change or modify first.

I guess you havent had your foot slip off a peg then...

hypersnyper6947
10-10-2008, 06:27 PM
I have had 3 quads in my life, the first 2 did not have nerfs, and no never had any problems. I would rather do my suspension or exhaust and motor work first. Thats why i told the guy to go ride first, he will figure out what he needs, if he has problems keeping his feet on the pegs then by all means go for the nerfs first.

klutch
10-10-2008, 09:18 PM
I would say the essentials come first.

Nerf Bars
Handle Bars
Tires

Then from there i'd go to suspension and other stuff. Motor comes last. Just my .02

10-11-2008, 05:30 AM
first protect you and the bike...

if riding trails an engine skid and swinger skid is important. the swinger skid should be a .250 thick one. prm and armadillo are your best options. i am sure you already have a good helmet(the phrase "if you have a $20 head buy a $20 helmet" comes into mind) and goggles. i used to think that other gear(jersey, pants, gloves) was unnecessary until i rode with them. no i will not ride without. the same for boots...the boots have saved a few broken ankles...i go between nerfs being necessary or not...depends on my mood...bars can make a difference also...but you can adapt to whatever bars you out on

after protecting you and the machine...next is comfort and handling...make it comfortable for YOU...if you are comfy...you will feel more at ease and be able to go faster...one of the first things i do is a gripper seat cover...if i am not sliding all over the place, i can stay in control better. a steering stabilizer also goes on before i hit the trails with a new bike...if them bars aren't jolting around...i am in better control...of course upgrading the suspension will make you go faster than any motor mod you do...the stock suspension, while adequate, is not as good as it can be especially the rear. a re-valve and a gt thunder rear link will do wonders for you. if you don't want to spend a lot of $$$ here, get 450r fronts shocks and have them re-valved for the ex. you can go faster with better suspension! tires play a big part in this also...

now you hit the engine performance parts...exhaust, air filter/ rejet, cams, pot and polish, big bore, stroker kits, whatever you want and the pocketbook and/or the significant other allows.

last is looks...make her pretty or leave her a sleeper...but do it to your own taste

everything depends on what you want and like. if you like the feel of your stock bars, leave them on...no need to try expensive flexx bars or another bend. that is unless you want to.

toss up a pic:
here is my 2000 400ex...traded an 06 450r for it. i should have never gotten rid of the first 400ex i had:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-12/921056/USTSF-DSC00792.JPG

racerdan24
10-11-2008, 07:43 AM
First things first......Yes i think you got a good deal on the quad....and second....good choice on quads....you will not be dissapointed with your choice.
I just purchased my first new quad in over 15 years about 2 months ago and went right back to a Honda, I am actually a Rep for another brand ( Yamaha Generators ) and still went with a Honda over a Yami!!!!
My 2 cents on this.......

1st- Protect yourself !!!! Helmet,Goggles,Pants etc......They will save alot of headaches ruining jeans and workboots unless thats your goal.....or if you have a ton of old clothes to get filty and muddy then skip this opinion.

2nd- Protection for your new investment- Believe me, in this day and age where a quad,boat,rv etc is a luxury, then you need to protect the investment in case a year from now you decide it was not for you and you want to turn around and sell it....
My first three purchases that could be installed by you in my opinion...A Arm guards,Full skid plate, and Swing arm plate...This will protect the undercarriage and protect alot of vital components that could be costly down the road.

3rd-Tires and rims for where you are riding....Aftermarket rims and tires are not cheap but not expensive either....I went with what i needed for my conditions and it was a huge improvement!

4th- Ride it,Ride it, Ride it.....Then you can start to make minor purchases that will help you in the conditions you are riding most often.....Air filter,Chain and sprocket, handguards etc......

5th- Motor....I think people go crazy with big bore kits,full exhaust systems etc and that can cost some big bucks...It depends on how often you ride,where you ride, are you going to race or use it for play? I would love to say i have a full exhaust,big bore kit, new carb just to say a few off the top of my head but for me and the conditions i ride in its not necessary.....I can kick my brothers a** on his brand new CRF 450 R motorcycle with my stock 400. So what does that tell you!

This is only suggestions and my own opinion and i am sure i will have some agree with me and some disagree but the smartest thing i did as well as you was get on the forums....This is a great place for questions and answers to alot of issues you will have. I would say that 98% of the people on here are willing to help and offer some great suggestions and opinions.

Here is what mine now looks like after 2 months of aftermarket parts.....Its working out great and enjoy this thing every time i ride.

racerdan24
10-11-2008, 07:46 AM
1 other a bit closer

racerdan24
10-11-2008, 07:47 AM
sorry forgot the attachment

racerdan24
10-11-2008, 08:07 AM
Lastly.....Where to buy....

i fortunately have my honda dealer that will match anything that the websites offer and get it in usually 1 day.....BUT some things you will find on the net cheaper.....3 i usually go to:

motosport.com
denniskirk.com
rockymountainatv.com

hypersnyper6947
10-11-2008, 07:56 PM
Also check eBay you can usually find really good deals on there.

Also just out of curiosity has there ever been a test on $20 helmets vs. $200 helmets.

racerdan24
10-11-2008, 07:59 PM
I am not sure if i ever saw a test but i wouldnt wanna trust my melon with a $20.00 helmet.....I was creamed by a car at the ripe age of 7 and survived because of a decent helmet!

coryatver
10-11-2008, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by hypersnyper6947
Also check eBay you can usually find really good deals on there.

Also just out of curiosity has there ever been a test on $20 helmets vs. $200 helmets.

get a snell approved helmet that means they have been tested. there is no way any helmet snell approved will be 20 bucks.

hypersnyper6947
10-11-2008, 08:33 PM
Not to steal the thread, but my helmet was only like $50 but its DOT approved and seemes pretty tough. I have been looking at the Fox High Noon helmet but dont know if i can justify spending $200 on another helmet when i already have one.

racerdan24
10-12-2008, 08:30 AM
Same here...looking for a new helmet and just dont want to spend 200 clams on 1 right now....100 to 125 i can see....

Darebee
10-12-2008, 09:44 AM
I feel strongly that a proper helmet is one that has passed current SNELL testing as well.

RaginRedneck
10-12-2008, 12:47 PM
If you currently have a helmet, I would hold out on buying a new one until your local dealer starts doing their end of year clearance. :-) Some good deals can be had. List Price on my Helmet was $229 I think, but I paid $119, give or take.

racerdan24
10-12-2008, 07:55 PM
i agree redneck....this is the time of year for deals!