PDA

View Full Version : starting issue

marcus20202
10-10-2008, 01:49 PM
i am having a problem with my 300ex starting. the starter would spin and catch a lil then clunk and not catch at all. i thought it was cause my battery was dead but i had it hooked to my car battery and still just spun. so i began to think it was the starter so i looked around on rockymountianatvmc.com and they had a new arrowhead starter for $49 in the scratched and dented section for $49 saving me $120 i hooked it up and it still has the same problem, but the starter dose spinn alot faster and smoother so im guessing its not the starter. anyway now i think its something internal. i took the starter gear plate off and held the gear on with my finger and tapped the starter and everything was spinning but not turning over. i dont know what the porblem could be. it starts right up when i push start it on the first time i dump the clutch but that cant be good for the main clutch to dump start all the time. im new to all this and usualy do good when i do things myself but idk if im ready to pull the casing off and mess with the clutch's and what not. im hoping someone with experience with 300ex's can help me out here

i searched and searched for details on how to chande the starter clutch and or tell if its bad but i cant find anything any help will be appreciated, thanky you!

razor777
10-13-2008, 05:41 PM
i bought a chiltons book from oreillys it helped .if my scanner was working i could send you the info .youll need to get a flywheel puller also you can get it from rocky mountain also a new gasket oil and filter.

marcus20202
10-14-2008, 06:13 PM
dose anyone know where i should look to get the new starter clutch? i saw some on ebay but i dont know exactly what it is i need :confused: if someone has a link to what it shoud be id realy appreciate it. i want it ready for winter riding!

razor777
10-14-2008, 07:50 PM
worldofpowersports.com .theres a diagram go to parts

marcus20202
10-14-2008, 08:05 PM
thanks im gonna chack it now, rockymountin is out of fly wheel pullers. they expect more on the 28th. would a cycle shop/dealer sell them?

marcus20202
10-14-2008, 08:32 PM
http://216.37.204.206/wps/Honda_OEM/HondaATV.asp?Type=13&A=144&B=14

#2 is all i need right? it took me forever to find. the alternator was my last guess for the location.

if i take the case off and check the clutch how would i tell if its bad? i dont want a repeat of me buying the starter and finding out it wasnt the prob.