PDA

View Full Version : Race gas or not??

fx4pitrone
10-10-2008, 10:48 AM
I have an 88 LT250r. I can only get out to ride it like once a month, and there are times I go 2-3 months w/o riding it (sux but gotta work like crazy to pay for toys!!) If I let it sit, the carbs get gunked up and I don't want to have to clean them out 2x's a year. If I run race gas, I heard that it runs much cleaner and w/o the ethanol, I won't have fuel problems. Now, my LT is for the most part stock, just bored .20 over, FMF pipe/silencer. Can I run race fuel in it or will it not run right because it's not a high compression motor? How high of an octane can I run? Anything I can get from a pump? Thanks for your help and patience w/ my novice questions!

gojk
10-10-2008, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by fx4pitrone
I have an 88 LT250r. I can only get out to ride it like once a month, and there are times I go 2-3 months w/o riding it (sux but gotta work like crazy to pay for toys!!) If I let it sit, the carbs get gunked up and I don't want to have to clean them out 2x's a year. If I run race gas, I heard that it runs much cleaner and w/o the ethanol, I won't have fuel problems. Now, my LT is for the most part stock, just bored .20 over, FMF pipe/silencer. Can I run race fuel in it or will it not run right because it's not a high compression motor? How high of an octane can I run? Anything I can get from a pump? Thanks for your help and patience w/ my novice questions!

I don't think race gas is what you need. You need to add sta-bil to the fuel, or just turn off the gas with the quad running and let it run until it runs the carb out of gas. Then there is no gas in the carb to gunk stuff up.

ccdhowell
10-11-2008, 07:09 AM
I've run 110 Sunoco in my stock compression '90 LT250R. I was XC racing it at the time and went with what I thought was right...wrong. The race gas made it much harder to start, wasn't as crisp a throttle responce either. I second the sta-bil, works great.

fx4pitrone
10-11-2008, 05:49 PM
That's what I thought as well, and the mechanic at the local shop said that the ethanol just "eats it right up" (the sta-bil).... I think I'll go with the Sta-bil and see what happens (Its Cheaper!!) Thanks guys....

deathman53
10-12-2008, 07:28 AM
when you are done riding, turn the gas off remove the drain bolt from the carb bowl and then stand it up on the grab bar, the carb should be empty of gas.