PDA

View Full Version : Hipers for the Double X

troybilt
10-10-2008, 07:11 AM
Anybody call or check on the availability of 11" hipers? Or if they had a plan to build any.
T

trailin'me
10-10-2008, 10:26 AM
they do not and will not make them. called and checked several times.

troybilt
10-10-2008, 01:01 PM
well they just went down a notch or two in my book...

trailin'me
10-10-2008, 07:30 PM
i agree. i dont see the big deal in making an 11" wheel. It's 2008 and it cant possibly be that big of an investment to make their style of wheel in aluminum ... make a cast of the wheel ..and then fill the cast with carbon fiber. I've made many parts to my ninja in carbon fiber ... granted ...they aren't wheels ..but any good engineering program could point towards the correct lay of the carbon fiber along with thickness to get the required strength.

In reality ..carbon fiber is much easier to work with than say a cnc machine trying to make a wheel...or even casting a wheel.

with that said ...ITP WILL NOT make an 11" wheel either ..they are trying to force people into using their 10" wheel with ONE tire size... they make the tire of course too ...

stay strong with your patience ..the razr's and other maxxis tires will be out very soon.

Luecker
10-10-2008, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by trailin'me

with that said ...ITP WILL NOT make an 11" wheel either ..they are trying to force people into using their 10" wheel with ONE tire size... they make the tire of course too ...

Yea, and with the offset they have on there 10" rim the rear end will be at least 50" wide.

GE4x4
10-11-2008, 03:36 AM
It took Hiper over 2 years to finally come out with a 12" wheel for utilities, and these wheels fit many models. The 11" will only work with the 700xx and no other. So the R&D for just one wheel for one model isn't worth it to them.

trailin'me
10-12-2008, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by GE4x4
It took Hiper over 2 years to finally come out with a 12" wheel for utilities, and these wheels fit many models. The 11" will only work with the 700xx and no other. So the R&D for just one wheel for one model isn't worth it to them.

maybe ... but lets say taht wheel was on one of the 700xx's that won the baja500... all of a sudden that "investment" turns into a gold mine ... everyone notices bajas... and everyone ..regardless of bike brand preference takes notice as to the equipment being used on the bikes.

true ..the wheel only comes onthe 700xx ... but who knows what the hell else it would work well... or even improve on?

Rubber is much heavier than carbon fiber ... flat trackers especially could benefit from a much larger diameter wheel and less inside tire ...like the 24"s on my mdx ... very little rubber (low profile tire)...

I think they or any other manufacturer could find or even make a market for any size tire/wheel they choose to.

Lastly ..im all about a wide variety of options... sure id like to try some 10's .. some 9's ... maybe even some 12's ... but the tires arent there ...or they dont fit.

GE4x4
10-12-2008, 07:20 AM
maybe ... but lets say taht wheel was on one of the 700xx's that won the baja500... all of a sudden that "investment" turns into a gold mine ... everyone notices bajas... and everyone ..regardless of bike brand preference takes notice as to the equipment being used on the bikes.

true ..the wheel only comes onthe 700xx ... but who knows what the hell else it would work well... or even improve on?

Rubber is much heavier than carbon fiber ... flat trackers especially could benefit from a much larger diameter wheel and less inside tire ...like the 24"s on my mdx ... very little rubber (low profile tire)...

I think they or any other manufacturer could find or even make a market for any size tire/wheel they choose to.

Lastly ..im all about a wide variety of options... sure id like to try some 10's .. some 9's ... maybe even some 12's ... but the tires arent there ...or they dont fit.

Hate to say it, but Baja's are the least looked at race to everyone. No one base mods off a Baja. What are there 20 - 25 quads who enter total? What people look at for what works in XC racing which is in every area and especially GNCC where you will get some 400-500 quads each race. Then the same with MX and the WORCS series. These are what companies build mods for and these are what people look to see what the Pros are running. Not a Baja.

2nd, a larger rim with a smaller diameter tire will weigh more then a smaller rim and larger diameter tire. So a 11" rim will be of no use what's so ever to anyone else. Why do you thing MX guys run 8" wheels, it's unsprung weight. XC guys run 9" instead of 10".

troybilt
10-12-2008, 08:43 AM
I thought the smaller wheel and larger tire improve traction due to sidewall flex?

At least OMF, makes a wheel. Also, the stock wheels can be modified by Beadlock Specialties to add beadlocks to them... at least the 9, 10 and 12's. I haven't called on the 11's yet.

GE4x4
10-12-2008, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by troybilt
I thought the smaller wheel and larger tire improve traction due to sidewall flex?

It also provides a better ride to. Large rim with small sidewalls will give a harsher ride. Not a good set-up for MX or XC.

OutlawBill
10-12-2008, 09:28 AM

At the Pro level Hiper due not work well in the desert. Pro racers have hit a rock at high speeds and had the Hiper explode when an aluminum wheel will just bends.

trailin'me
10-12-2008, 10:10 AM
oh .... so carbon fiber does explode? I was kinda wondering that.

Also ... how is heavier rubber better than lighter carbon fiber ...im kinda confused.... weight is weight whether it be on the tire or the wheel...

with good suspension and properly tuned shocks ...the tires provide little ride improvemen and would actually improve steering and throttle response.

I dont recall saying anything about mx at all... i said flat trackers. thats like comparing hand grenades and horseshoes.

lastly ... if there was even a chance these carbon fiber wheels would explode tells me nope ...i wouldnt use them.

OutlawBill
10-12-2008, 12:09 PM
I am talking hitting a rock a glancing blow at 70 or 80+ MPH. The force cracks the carbon fiber in one or more place and at that speed every thing just comes undone very fast.

GE4x4
10-12-2008, 01:47 PM

Also ... how is heavier rubber better than lighter carbon fiber ...im kinda confused.... weight is weight whether it be on the tire or the wheel...

with good suspension and properly tuned shocks ...the tires provide little ride improvemen and would actually improve steering and throttle response.

I dont recall saying anything about mx at all... i said flat trackers. thats like comparing hand grenades and horseshoes.

It's still about weight. Yes a flat tracking will benifit with larger rim and smaller sidewall for cornering, but they also need to be low to the ground. A 11" wheel will not come in a 20" tire, so with a 22" tire that comes with the 700xx put the center of gravity to high. So why would a 11" wheel benifit them? Also, no other quad has a rear 4/144 bolt pattern. So again, how will that benifit a flat tracker? You really don't thing a flat tracker will race the 700xx in the pro ranks??

troybilt
10-13-2008, 07:31 AM
yeah, centrifugal force is a ******... :D

trailin'me
10-13-2008, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by GE4x4
It's still about weight. Yes a flat tracking will benifit with larger rim and smaller sidewall for cornering, but they also need to be low to the ground. A 11" wheel will not come in a 20" tire, so with a 22" tire that comes with the 700xx put the center of gravity to high. So why would a 11" wheel benifit them? Also, no other quad has a rear 4/144 bolt pattern. So again, how will that benifit a flat tracker? You really don't thing a flat tracker will race the 700xx in the pro ranks??

thats my point exactly ... no one knows how well an 11" wheel would perform with the correct tires.

It would make sense to have the largest diameter wheel possible and the smallest tire that would fit on the wheel.

manufacturers are trying to cut costs by limiting choices is what i was getting to.

there are trillions of combos for tires/wheels with automobiles ... and i dont think making quad tires is nearly as expensive as automobiles.

i just get tired of seeing the same shyt different day stuff.

troybilt
10-14-2008, 07:12 AM
Think anyone will make different hubs for the rear on the 700XX, like Rath does for the outlaw fronts? ..to convert to something more common like 4x110?

Also, for the 10" ITP's, they must require to remove the mud scrapers that are on the 700xx rear wheels???:confused:

...or they are offset 2-3"' out, anybody know? ...both. ...or do they require spacers?

trailin'me
10-14-2008, 10:54 AM
i cant see how the mud scoops could stay. as far as the offset ..i dunno. I dont like talking to people at ITP because they are always arrogant pricks on the phone.

just talked to my guys in california ... maxxis WILL release the 11"ers ANY DAY now so keep fingers crossed haha.

Talked to a nice fella at maxxis ...the tires are in production for sure...and they say that they think the BIG sport quad manufacturers will all step up to an 11" wheel. He said there is a definite advantage to using the 11" wheel on a larger sport quad ...

so ..i guess thats that ... i did say in previous post Maxxis makes what is needed...compared to other brands trying to get you to use what they already have ... and according to maxxis... to try and squeeze every last bit of revenue out of old tired designs.

lastly ...the guy said he has had hundreds of requests for the tire size 22x10-11 ..so i guess that means the 700xx is picking up sales according to him.

scuzz
10-14-2008, 11:45 AM

lastly ...the guy said he has had hundreds of requests for the tire size 22x10-11 ..so i guess that means the 700xx is picking up sales according to him.

I guess he didn't say anything about them coming from my email address. :/

scuzz@email.com:

Do you have tires for the 700XX for sale yet?

scuzz@email.com:

How about now?

scuzz@email.com:

...and now?

scuzz@email.com:

Now?

scuzz@email.com:

C'mon man give a dog a bone.

scuzz@email.com:

I'm not going away dude, better give me something.

scuzz@email.com:

No, I don't want a picture of you, that's not what I ment.

trailin'me
10-14-2008, 01:28 PM
call their customer service line and tell the phone answering chick you wanna talk to atv tires ...

sheriff525
10-14-2008, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by OutlawBill
I am talking hitting a rock a glancing blow at 70 or 80+ MPH. The force cracks the carbon fiber in one or more place and at that speed every thing just comes undone very fast.

Wow that would be noisy!

trailin'me
10-15-2008, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by sheriff525
Wow that would be noisy!

mmm carbon fiber shrapnel going everywhere right before your axle catches the ground and throws you 200feet@80mph hitting the ground and ragdolling another 100 feet... gotta love carbon fiber!

sheriff525
10-15-2008, 09:01 PM
Um yeah...that would be funny to watch!

Not to fun to be part of!

10-17-2008, 09:14 AM
I actually look at what baja riders use as far as mods, maybe its because I ride in 95% sand and I can relate to some of the terrain. MX and XC IMO is more of just who is giving you the support and free stuff. I would love to do the baja 500 at some point in my life

GE4x4
10-17-2008, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
I actually look at what baja riders use as far as mods, maybe its because I ride in 95% sand and I can relate to some of the terrain. MX and XC IMO is more of just who is giving you the support and free stuff. I would love to do the baja 500 at some point in my life

:confused: :confused: :confused:

trailin'me
10-17-2008, 01:41 PM
me 2. i once was in good enough shape to maybe race a 500.... broke my neck ..gained 100lbs ... haha .. now ive lost 125lbs again.

6 more months of running and riding maybe ill be strong enough again to baja.

10-17-2008, 04:26 PM
in the baja are most quad/bike riders switching off? I know Pastrana stayed on the whole time for the 1000 but broke down a couple miles before the finish or something.

D Bergstrom
10-17-2008, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
in the baja are most quad/bike riders switching off? I know Pastrana stayed on the whole time for the 1000 but broke down a couple miles before the finish or something.

Yes, most entries switch riders during the race. I think you can have anywhere from 4 to 6 riders on a team depending on the race.

Some of the motorcycle guys will solo it, and I only know of one quad guy that has done it a couple of years ago.

Doug

TRX450R2
10-17-2008, 09:11 PM
I just solo'd a 6 hour race on a 700XX and was surprised to find I wasn't as beaten up as on a 450R

troybilt
10-20-2008, 06:49 AM
me 2. i once was in good enough shape to maybe race a 500.... broke my neck ..gained 100lbs ... haha .. now ive lost 125lbs again.

6 more months of running and riding maybe ill be strong enough again to baja.

Me 3. I've been wanting to race for 8 years now. Seems like something always gets in my way. Hopefully, the soon-to-be wife will understand. ...or maybe I just need to grow a sack and fill it with some balls... :D Instead of making excuses.

TRX450R2
10-27-2008, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by troybilt
Me 3. I've been wanting to race for 8 years now. Seems like something always gets in my way. Hopefully, the soon-to-be wife will understand. ...or maybe I just need to grow a sack and fill it with some balls... :D Instead of making excuses.

:macho That would be a good start!!:D :p
Good luck with that!!