PDA

View Full Version : truck lifts

quads14589
10-10-2008, 04:14 AM
is a truck that has hcokey pucks as a lift a good lift?

KXRida
10-10-2008, 04:26 AM
I'm pretty sure you can answer that question for yourself. I've seen quite a few ingenuitive lifts, but the hockey pucks are a new one.

quads14589
10-10-2008, 07:26 AM
well some if my friends have hockey puck lifts and they say they are fine but I just wanted some input

trick450r
10-10-2008, 07:36 AM
if your using them for a body lift. Then As a body lift yes they are fine. But body lifts in general are very sketchy.

quads14589
10-10-2008, 08:01 AM
I'm looking at a truck I Belive it has a 4" suspension and 3" body lifts all done with hockey pucks its a nice truck tho 1500 dollar paint job .

hardtrailz400
10-10-2008, 09:26 AM
Hockey pucks will break down over time. Depending on where you are and the weather they can last a long time or just a little while. There are also different hardnesses to hockey pucks. A body lift only costs a 100 bucks and has the poly block and sometimes weld in spacers.

Basically pucks will work, but you are taking a chance.

quads14589
10-10-2008, 10:52 AM
yeah but how would he of used blocks for the suspension

hardtrailz400
10-10-2008, 11:12 AM
You cant use pucks for the suspesion but you can put metal blocks between the spring and axle. This is only safe on the rear. I tryed on the front of my suburban and cracked one block and sheared the centering pin on the other in less than a week. I do know people who have had them in the rear for 20 years or more.

KXRida
10-10-2008, 11:50 AM
I'd still rather buy the blocks just to ease me. They're not that expensive (suspension or body). I'm not a huge fan of body lifts, but if they allow me to clear my 35's nice and allow for some extra room I'll use them, but I don't like to.

fastredrider44
10-10-2008, 12:20 PM
What kind of truck are you looking at? That will make a difference of what kind of lift options you have. I personally do not like blocks, or body lifts. But then again I use my truck off-road, and when i say use it, I use it.

Blocks put a lot of leverage on the leaf springs. Not a good idea if you ask me. That being said, a lot of HD trucks come with them factory in the rear. that's fine as long as you don't stack blocks.

trick450r
10-10-2008, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by fastredrider44
What kind of truck are you looking at? That will make a difference of what kind of lift options you have. I personally do not like blocks, or body lifts. But then again I use my truck off-road, and when i say use it, I use it.

Blocks put a lot of leverage on the leaf springs. Not a good idea if you ask me. That being said, a lot of HD trucks come with them factory in the rear. that's fine as long as you don't stack blocks.

i've had numerous trucks with 2 blocks stacked.

Basically DONT put a body lift on your truck unless you already have a nice suspension lift setup to fit taller tires.

Ex. KXrida and i both own ranger based vehicles. A 6 inch lift gets you real close to 35" tires but not quite, i needed alittle body lift to clear them.

quads14589
10-10-2008, 06:00 PM
a real nice 78 serria 7" lift

KXRida
10-10-2008, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by trick450r
i've had numerous trucks with 2 blocks stacked.

Basically DONT put a body lift on your truck unless you already have a nice suspension lift setup to fit taller tires.

Ex. KXrida and i both own ranger based vehicles. A 6 inch lift gets you real close to 35" tires but not quite, i needed alittle body lift to clear them.

exactly. I don't really like to use them, but if I can comfortably clear 35's with a 3'' body, then I'm going to run it. I could probably get away without running the body lift, but I'd have to do some fender mods at the least.

Blue250X
10-11-2008, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by quads14589
a real nice 78 serria 7" lift

If he really used nothing but hockey pucks to lift that truck, that means he was stacking them between the axle and leaf springs. If you do end up getting that truck I would throw those out the second you got home, if you make it home. You can buy steel or aluminum blocks for that purpose for not very much money. But IMO blocks in the front are very dangerous seeing as all the weight goes on the front end while brakeing and put alot of stress on the blocks, and not to mention illegal in some states.

Phugg
10-11-2008, 07:46 AM
imho body lifts are the worst thing in the world for any vehicle, followed close behind by any block for lifting.
Now that said , I have seen hockey pucks for roughly 1in body lifts on chevy's to Jeeps. I dont see a huge prob with that small lift (for body ONLY). I was in the boat of Suspension Only , and if the tire wont fit , cut the body to clear it. I was a Jeep freak for many years and laughed at all the liftblock Chevy's out there. I have seen them shift off the blocks in the rear on numerous occassions. Causing one side of the housing to slip forward and the other to slip rearward.
Liftblocks in MY opinion are just not safe. I would rather get new springs that are a little longer and more stout, then reweld the perches and convert to rear shackle (if possible). I did come froma lower is better backround. If you can stuff 37's on a Jeep wrangle with leafs and a "springover" anything is possible. (with slight cutting)

gibson133
10-13-2008, 06:23 AM
if you go to autozones website. the lifts actually look like hockey pucks. and alot of people mistake the real thing for hockey pucks. are you sure they are not actually a lift? jw.

trick250r
10-13-2008, 07:10 AM
I mud a 79 f250. bodylifts are okay as long as you're just using it to clear tires. Some guys we run with have tractor tires and there's not a suspension lift that will clear them. as far as pucks fora body lift, they're just more maitrnence. run em a few times then ditch em. using pucks as suspension blocks aren't out of the question... I've seen guys use cinder blocks. works great if your truck just sits there but not if you wanna drive it lol

Like they said before, it depends on the truck personally I wouldn't run them in a bigger truck or a truck I drive on the road. putting them on a jeep that you only mud on the weekends should be fine... honestly everything breaks.