PDA

View Full Version : 400ex question

HondaHurley
10-09-2008, 08:05 PM
Hey i got a stock 2000 honda 400ex and i got the motor tore apart right and i wanted to put a few mods to make it faster in the low end... any ideas? thanks

gojk
10-09-2008, 08:26 PM
First off, why is it torn apart? Did something go out?

Second, go with the next bore size piston at 11:1. Pick your favorite brand....Install a cam to get the power where you want it in the powerband, sounds like a hotcam stage one will work well. Get the HD head studs, a CRF450 cam chain, and a new cam chain tensioner for reliability. Get the cometic steel head gasket, I run no base gasket, just high temp gasket maker, and replace the valve stem seals. Lap the valves and slap it back together.

guinness77
10-09-2008, 11:20 PM
Don't forget the after market air filter, after market exhaust, and a power-up jet kit for the carburator. And have a professional re-jet it.

After all that plus the piston and cam... LOOK OUT BUDDY. THAT THING'SGONNA SCREAM!

gojk
10-09-2008, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by guinness77
Don't forget the after market air filter, after market exhaust, and a power-up jet kit for the carburator. And have a professional re-jet it.

After all that plus the piston and cam... LOOK OUT BUDDY. THAT THING'SGONNA SCREAM!

Good point, I guess I just figured that is the first thing that everyone does.

One point against that though. Learn to jet it yourself. There are plenty of guides online, and as often as rejetting is needed, just learn to do it yourself.

HondaHurley
10-10-2008, 07:49 AM
Thanks for the help!.... i got it tore apart cause i blew the rod but it didnt do any damage but i got parts of the rod in my valves and little chunks in the case but it didnt do anything to the topend for some reason i guess im just lucky ;)