PDA

View Full Version : need help

jtt633
10-09-2008, 07:53 PM
my outlaw has been having trouble starting, you can hear it try to start but it just clicks and doesnt turn over, so i checked the battery and found it to be faulty. I replaced it and the problem is still there. the guy at the dealership is trying to tell me that its a decompression system built into the motor that isnt working correctly and not letting the motor turn over. He seems to know nothing about these motors so im curious to see what other people think. Is my starter bad or is the dealer right?

katch26
10-09-2008, 08:02 PM
what motor?

jtt633
10-09-2008, 08:08 PM
sorry i forgot that, its an 07 525

somewon
10-09-2008, 09:48 PM
pull the plug out and see if it cranks. there won't be any compression so you should be able to at least verify that everything will turn. make sure the battery your using has a full charge and the motor doesn't have too much oil (those should be pretty easy to verify).

these are some quick tests that will give us some more information on how it's acting. I assume this problem just started, or has it been getting worse over time?

jtt633
10-10-2008, 06:02 PM
ok the oil level is fine and i haven't had time to try pulling out the plug but it can be push started. also the battery is showing 12.6 volts. the problem did just start, the battery that was in it went bad so i figured that it was the battery causing the problem but now it has a new battery and is still doing it

mbellaver
10-10-2008, 06:43 PM
If it push starts it cant be too big of a problem! To me it sounds like you've got a bad electrical connection somewhere. If it's clicking when you try to start it, it's surely a loose connection or a coroded terminal.

tyguy39
10-25-2008, 05:34 PM
mine did the same thing
pull the top of the head off check and see if the auto decom spring is broke or the lever itself isnt broke
i burned my starter out trying to start it without decom working
if thats the prob, reply and ill give u torque specs and such.
if u need help.

outlaw525chick
03-02-2009, 02:20 PM
Just going throught the same issue with my 08 525 IRS. Took it in for and oil leak and not starting and they told me it was a bad battery too. Put in a new battery and still would not start!

If put on a charger with an extra booster it would start but there was a dry metal vibrating noise coming from the top of the motor. Took the bike back in to have it fixed, again! and they were wrong about the battery being bad.

The tech said that there is the auto decompression system and it is on the cam. Not sure exactly where on the cam though. He hadn't seen it before but remembered about it when we went over it with him about the symptoms.

The motor acted like it was hydro locked wtih fuel.

ratman407
03-03-2009, 07:10 AM
just went thru something similar,but.....it was my throttle adjustment. There is a adjustable nut/lock on the thumb throttle cable near where the cable dissapears into the gas tank by the steering stem, it is covered by a rubber boot. The adjustment nut allows the contacts to either be open or closed (closed it will not start). If you take the cover off of the thumb throttle box you can see them. I am sure there are technical terms for all of these but you get the idea.

outlaw525chick
03-05-2009, 06:58 PM
I have had a problem with the etc switch before and was fixed and know what to do if it leaves me stranded on the trails again. The reason it was not starting was that when they put the gas tank back on the bike they pinched the vent tube on the bottom of the gas tank. Therefore hydro-locking the motor with fuel. I still have the rattle in the top end and the tech believes that the auto drecommpression spring and weight are broke inside on the cam.

Chris525
03-05-2009, 07:57 PM
This really sounds like what happened to me as well when I first got mine. I could not start it with the starter but could by push starting it. It had to much oil.
How did you check you oil level?

outlaw525chick
03-05-2009, 10:26 PM
I have a mark next to the eye glass that is about a 1/3 from the bottom and the oil line usually is just above that or right at that. I have my bike serviced regularly by the dealer.

sheriff525
03-05-2009, 10:26 PM
My dads bike took forever to start. All he needed in the end was the valves adjusted. Try that. They are really noisy too when they are out of whack.