PDA

View Full Version : 400EX Hybrid

jrsmith_80
10-09-2008, 01:08 PM
I have been looking for some info on the XR650 swap into the 400EX. I know there is a lot of info in the search but no what I am looking for. What type of work is involved with this swap. If any one knows of a good build threaed and could post a link I would appreciate it.

Thanks

rustyATV
10-09-2008, 05:40 PM
Not many "How To's" out there, but here are some in-process pictures of mine, to give you an idea.

http://a241.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/27/l_a86ddc0430341cfb9ef560cc8385dfd8.jpg

http://a888.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/21/l_7297c4c46d4a7d286395a01b40502aff.jpg

http://a697.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/16/l_b2cc031fb107fad19c1c3261aa3886d8.jpg

jrsmith_80
10-09-2008, 06:38 PM
Not really lookin for a how-to but more of what is involved. Any nice detailed build threads. I am picking up a roller 400ex next week and was looking at my options. Does the motor bolt in or do you have to modify the frame? Any info would b greatly appreciated.

Thanks

rustyATV
10-09-2008, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by jrsmith_80
Not really lookin for a how-to but more of what is involved. Any nice detailed build threads.

That's what I mean by "How-to"; informative threads. I've been grabbing other people's pictures and working from that.

No, it doesn't just drop in. You can see in the second pic I removed the tubes with the front motor mounts (I added new ones back in for the third, in a different location of course), which also carried the 400EX lower motor mounts.

I removed one of the lower frame cross-rails that connect to the rear linkage mount to get the motor as low as I could, but I found that in order to use the XR650R's lower motor mount, I had to raise the motor back up to where it wouldn't have made a difference.

Also in the third pic, notice I have the top motor mounts removed, as they have to be relocated.

Pretty much the only thing you use is the swing arm pivot, but that needs a spacer made for it.

rustyATV
10-09-2008, 09:43 PM
Oh, and if you're serious about doing this, start looking for a Big Gun XR650R exhaust; they (at least the older ones) tuck close to the engine and save a lot of space (see pics)

10-10-2008, 09:01 PM
Most hybrid builds are the exact same for what needs to be done and are pretty simple to do, it took me only 7 hours of work to build mine having it ready to go ride. All you need to do is line the engine up so the sprockets match up and make all new mounts. From their on out you will know what else needs to be done by using your eyes.

The only hard part for me was making a intake tube. Making a aluminum intake tube would be easiest for most hybrids. And make sure the pivot bolt fits snug in the rear of then engine and if it dont then make a sleave for inside it. If you need one for the engine what I used in mine was just a old sleave from a swing arm pivot bearing kit that I just shaved down and put inside the engine and it worked perfect.

250r radiators fit the best.

Most people need to weld or bend the exhaust but for my yz hybrid I just used the whole dirt bike exhaust system and the muffler mount was a few inches past the frame mount so I just shortened the rear of the muffler a few inches and it mounted up perfected.

woodsracer144
10-15-2008, 04:07 PM
ok thats that spickgot for on teh top of the intake thing where teh boot gots for teh carb... its like brass... i have one on my yz and i have no clue what it does!

10-16-2008, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by woodsracer144
ok thats that spickgot for on teh top of the intake thing where teh boot gots for teh carb... its like brass... i have one on my yz and i have no clue what it does!

Hu? Come again?

woodsracer144
10-17-2008, 03:25 PM
the little brass thing on the top of the intake what is it for ?

redipsweb
10-21-2008, 08:36 PM
Hey rustyATV, I'm also wanting to build a hybrid but w/ a different engine. I'm curious, if you where to hold a level vertical what would be the measurement from the bottom of the engine centered on the D in Honda to the top of your engine, also if you held a level horizontal what would be the measurement from center of the pivot bolt to bottom of the engine?

rustyATV
10-22-2008, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by woodsracer144
the little brass thing on the top of the intake what is it for ?

It's listed as a "Booster Joint" in the parts diagrams. I didn't pull this motor from the bike, so I'm not certain what that is, but I think it may have something to do with the emissions system the XR has.

Originally posted by redipsweb
Hey rustyATV, I'm also wanting to build a hybrid but w/ a different engine. I'm curious, if you where to hold a level vertical what would be the measurement from the bottom of the engine centered on the D in Honda to the top of your engine, also if you held a level horizontal what would be the measurement from center of the pivot bolt to bottom of the engine?

At the tallest point, this engine is about 19 inches, which is measuring from a point towards the bottom front of the engine, which dips down lower than everything else.

I'm not certain what the second measurement you're asking for is