PDA

View Full Version : powdercoating question

Ruby Soho
10-09-2008, 06:58 AM
ive been meaning to ask this question for a long time. so here goes

back in january i think, i got my quad and such powdercoated and my buddy did too. it came out really good. so my question is does powdercoat chip? reason being, when we were re assembling my buddies quad i had the swingarm and dropped it on pavement after it was pc'd. it did not chip, it smudged a little. then as i rode my quad over the passed months ive hit rocks, logs etc.. and no chips, just minor scratches but it doesnt go through, and if it does its a TINY smudge.

so am i right when saying powdercoat doesn't chip, it smudges?

Pappy
10-09-2008, 07:04 AM
it can chip, but usually will dent if cured properly.

the candy colors will chip easier then standard solid colors on average

Ruby Soho
10-09-2008, 07:05 AM
got ya, thanks pappy.

Pappy
10-09-2008, 07:07 AM
forgot to ad that as long as the proper prep has occured as well.....

its pretty cool stuff eh:p

Ruby Soho
10-09-2008, 07:09 AM
it really is, ive been considering getting a small gun and oven and trying it out for myself, but we'll see how that goes.

nother question, whats the difference between anodizing and powdercoating?

Pappy
10-09-2008, 07:17 AM
anodizing is a dye based electrical process where the colored dye is drawn into the molecular structure of the metal.

pc is a dry powder that is applied then heat cured

Ruby Soho
10-09-2008, 07:31 AM
what would you say is more durable?

Pappy
10-09-2008, 07:39 AM
well seeing anodizing is only for aluminum and a select few other alloys it wouldnt be a fair "claim" to state it across the board that it is stronger.

anodizing and hard anodizing are very durable if done properly(like everything in life...lol) it forms into the metal below the substrate surface and isnt easily removed, scratched or chipped etc. It does fade faster then pc when exposed to UV light.

think of pc as paint, because it is. it is the manner in which it is applied, its chemical composition and the enviromentally sound way its is manufactured and processed that makes it much more viable then liquid paint. 1 coat of pc is equivilant to 10 coats of paint roughly, dfoesnt harm the enviroment and is ready for service when cool.