PDA

View Full Version : wrecked... now what?

wolfe 21
10-08-2008, 07:25 PM
So, I went trail riding last weekend and was doing OK for the most part. We had some strong winds as a result of the last gulf coast hurricane and some trails weren't clear yet, but most were manageable. Anyway, I'm cruisin' along and come to a pretty steep hill. I stop at the bottom and look at it thinking "oh there's no way I'm gonna get to the top of that in one piece," but my buddy had just made it so I figured i'd try. Definitely should have went with the first instinct and went around it, as about 5 feet from the flat top the front end came up then over. I got dumped out to the right to watch as my otherwise fairly shiny new 400ex went down about 35 feet of 40 degree bank on anything and everything but it's wheels. I get up and get down the hill to find an upside down ex with the bars bent down onto the tank and both front fender supports sprung and no more starter button. Otherwise everything seems OK. Even fired back up and rode it another 30-40 minutes back to the house. no noticeable wabbles (dirt road though, so who knows) and everything seems intact besides what's mentioned. Oh, I may have bent a nerf bar a little, but I'm thinking it was already like that.

Anyway, this rambling post has come to a point and 2 questions:
1. How can I keep the front end down on this damn thing. I'm 235ish and 6'-2" so I can only set so far up the seat and even then it's light and likes to wheelie. Seriously considering adding about 50 lbs to the front end to keep it down:ermm:
2. What should I check for damage after a crash. arms and suspension seem intact, no loose lugs on wheels, rear bearings aren't showing any play while riding (had a buddy watch on ride back). Also, since the bars are bent should I check/replace the steering stem as well.

SYNOPSIS:
My ex did a tumbling routine down 35 feet of tree and brush covered hillside through at least 2 sapplings and lands upside down, not running. Fired up and rode home. What should I check for damage before going again? (I'd hate to lose a wheel or something at full throttle in fifth, especially on some of the roads I ride on.)

Thanks, James.

drew416ex
10-08-2008, 07:50 PM
You could get an extended swingarm, but they arent cheap. It would keep the front down though. Check the steering stem, its mostl ikely bent. Also check the tie rods and maybe the sub frame. Other than that it seems like you have it covered.

racerdan24
10-08-2008, 08:08 PM
Sorry to hear about the crash.....check and double check everything from the front to the back......i hate to ask if you have any pictures....

10-08-2008, 08:09 PM
400ex are pretty tough. some i guess its just a weird hit to bend it or something but mine I have had it front flip end over end, roll sideways down a steep hill before falling down further and dropping off lnding on its side and nothing has bent. The only thing I have managed to bend on mine is the front wheels from jumping. It seems no matter what tire pressure I have they bend. I bent them before from low tire pressure jumping and I bent them more a couple nights again jumping even with 10PSI in them lol. I know i'm not hitting huge things maybe the 1st bend weakened it enough to keep bending. idk any day now i will be losing air from them and I hope i have the money for HiPers before that happens. Anyways get a longer swingarm. I have also seen people put weights on the front like you mentioned about doing. I also heard of mounting the battery up front just that weight will keep the front end down more.

brian76708
10-08-2008, 09:08 PM
feather the clutch better a lot of it is the operator

wolfe 21
10-09-2008, 09:07 PM
no argument, I am a novice and need to practice more on technique. But, I'd like to remove as much of the mechanical side of the issue as possible. If it happens in the future, I want to know it was something I did that screwed me, not an inherent characteristic of the machine.
Sorry no pics. Wasn't planning to flip it and left my camera at home.:rolleyes:

Anyway, do you think a taller rear tire (currently a 20") or a lowered front suspension would reduce the wheel lift in the front. would a softer rear shock help.

odog
10-09-2008, 10:35 PM
go up another tooth on your front sprocket will help keep it down and give u more top end

wolfe 21
10-10-2008, 09:50 PM
I thought about that, but honestly don't need or want more top end. This is my first quad and it's already fast enough to outrun my buddies' warriors and scare me silly(well, that at least keeps me somewhat sane when I'm riding it.)

Another stupid question, but is 25x12x9 too much tire for the rear of a sport quad. I realize a taller tire equates to more speed but I was hoping a wider tire with more traction would eat up more power and keep me about the same. If it is too big, what do you guys recommend. I just need a general bashing tire for trail riding in the woods, gravel roads and occasionally some mid to hard packed dirt in a local strip pit where we ride (also I where I rolled it :o ).
-Carlisle trail wolf, itp mudlite, maxxis razr (current) or maybe all trak's are on my list. Buddy has all traks on a warrior and it'll go up about anything.

Thanks, James.

vAnS_77
10-11-2008, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by wolfe 21

Another stupid question, but is 25x12x9 too much tire for the rear of a sport quad. I realize a taller tire equates to more speed but I was hoping a wider tire with more traction would eat up more power and keep me about the same. If it is too big, what do you guys recommend. I just need a general bashing tire for trail riding in the woods, gravel roads and occasionally some mid to hard packed dirt in a local strip pit where we ride (also I where I rolled it :o ).
-Carlisle trail wolf, itp mudlite, maxxis razr (current) or maybe all trak's are on my list. Buddy has all traks on a warrior and it'll go up about anything.

Thanks, James.

That size is WAY to pug for a sport quad. With mudlites you will get funny looks. I would just go with these http://www.itptires.com/sportatv/holeshot_gncc.html for your type of riding. I have Holeshot HD's and they are way to aggresive if you can't keep your front end down. Or mudlite SP'S they are OK. If your doing major mudding with your sport. But the Holeshot tires are good all around tires period.

NJ450rider
10-11-2008, 10:01 AM
eck no holeshots there dog crap. If you want good tires go with maxxis Razr(4 ply)20/11/9 on the rear and maxxis razr 2's(6 ply)21/7/10 on the front. A stock 400ex doesnt have enough power for rear razr 2's. Especially when it comes to controlled slides and tight situations. Theres a reason why most gncc racers run this tire setup its perfect for most if not all situations. Plus maxxis tires out last itp tires by years if not more and have tougher sidewalls.

Back to the flipping part. going up an incline thats pretty steep i hope you werent sitting down. Up gotta stand up and get your weight over the front. as soon as you feel like your gonna get stuck pull in the clutch and grab the front brake. lean over the front. most times you can slowly slide/roll back down without flipping. it doesnt get a lil hairy/scary sometimes. but if that doesnt work it is best to jump off out of the way and just let it roll. its always eaiser to fix the quad instead of yourself.

most likely you just did in the bars and steering stem. i would do that first and then check over the rest. It takes a prety decent crash to tear up more than that. I remember rolling my 300ex when i started riding years ago. 55mph crash and not much more than bars/stem and a busted headlight.

boosted3g
10-11-2008, 07:14 PM
Lower your ride height. The stock 400 rides like a monster truck and wheelies no problem because of this.

wolfe 21
10-11-2008, 09:02 PM
Yeah, I've got maxxis tires now (iRazr) and am looking for something with more grip traction in mud, wet leaves, general forrest terrain trail riding. Really not happy with these tires, but they were on it when I bought it and I just can't seem to wear them out (15 hours on blacktop and gravel and still over 50% plus wear from PO). I just can't imagine that those little x shaped lugs on the razrs can offer better traction than a trail wolf or mud shark type tire. I just can't rap my head around it. If it makes a difference in recommendations, I have NO intention of EVER racing my quad competitively.

lilyamaharacer4
10-11-2008, 09:17 PM
The only reason to run those tires is if you were mud bogging. And in some situations spinning will come in handy where the extra traction will make it filp easier. Kenda klaws are also great tires.

wolfe 21
10-11-2008, 11:11 PM
I'm thinking or trying to find a better rear shock. Have read where people are using both 450r and yfz450 shocks on 400ex. Either of these a good alternative rear shock to the stock "pogo stick." How about fronts.

drew416ex
10-11-2008, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by wolfe 21
I'm thinking or trying to find a better rear shock. Have read where people are using both 450r and yfz450 shocks on 400ex. Either of these a good alternative rear shock to the stock "pogo stick." How about fronts.

The stock shock really isnt a bad shock if adjusted correctly. Its even better if you send it to be revalved and resprung for your weight and riding style. im not sure about the yfz but the 450r shock is shorter than the ex shock.

vAnS_77
10-12-2008, 06:23 PM
Honda builds their suspension for bigger riders. Honestly, if your going to work on your quad at all and tear off the suspension and you are willing to spend the cash on your baby. I would just suggest buying any aftermarket suspension. Anything you could get suspension wise aftermarket is good. People will tell you to get 450r shocks and revavled. Just get a nice set of trip rate rezzie elka's or anything under 600 or 500. Shop around you will find some great deals. If your quad is really messed up strip it and redo it, its almost winter. About the tires, its a personal prefernce. It just comes down to what is right for your riding area and what feels is right.

coryatver
10-12-2008, 06:31 PM
momentum. hit it with lots of speed. thats why your buddy made it and you didn't i bet. as soon as you loose momentum and start spinning your screwed

wolfe 21
10-17-2008, 08:10 PM
yeah, that's what he said too. I just figure i'd of been going faster when I flipped it. I think I need to find some simple trails and then move to progressively more difficult areas. I'm trying to stay with guys who've been riding since grade school and I've had mine maybe 6-8 months. definitely not helping me any.

Thanks for all the advice and information. I appreciate it.

vAnS_77
10-17-2008, 08:41 PM
I can bash any shock company out there. But theres a reason why that shock is used on all the baja winning quads. It's an opinion. Honestly, I'm not going to be hitting any 100ft triple anytime soon. Elka's perform amazing for my riding......I'm not going pro anytime soon.

vAnS_77
10-17-2008, 08:53 PM
Well the first reason why I have elka's on my hybrid is that. I bought my a-arms shocks for my 400ex. Then I upgraded to my crf450r. I debated about putting dc-4's and axis LT. But you know how money is needed to buy those things? lol. I ran out, with 11 grand total spent on the build :( I was just trying to make myself feel good.