PDA

View Full Version : Newb clutch install question

NacsMXer
10-08-2008, 12:02 PM
Getting ready to replace my clutch in my quad....i've never done a clutch before in my life.

Question for those experienced with this:
Should I scuff the the new OEM Honda steel plates with sandpaper prior to installing them? If so, what grit paper should I use?

I only ask because my Honda service manual makes no mention of it :confused:

drew416ex
10-08-2008, 01:36 PM
i did mine with scoth brite just to take the glaze off.

bjg696
10-08-2008, 02:27 PM
I did mine with a 1000 grit sand paper. It works very well, just like drew said, do it just enough to knock the glaze off. Just be carfull and watch how it all comes apart and itll take a total of 30 to 45 min and youll be done....;)

NacsMXer
10-12-2008, 02:01 PM
Ok, thanks for the replies :)

Now as for the clutch springs.....I have searched and searched on this without a decisive answer. I know you just have to "snug" up the bolts on the springs, but that's still a little vague to me.

Do I just tighten the bolts until they bottom out and then stop?

or

Do I tighten the bolts until they bottom out and then slightly "snug" them?

or

Do I stop tightening BEFORE the bolts bottom out?

Help a guy out with no experience here. I just need to get an idea from those who have done this many times.

Wheelie
10-12-2008, 03:14 PM
Be sure to soak the fibers in oil. IMO there is no need to scuff the steels, just install them as is.

Tighten the bolts in a criss cross pattern in several steps until they stop, then snug them up.

leasureryan
10-12-2008, 03:14 PM
I think the actual torque spec is 7-8 ft lbs

Darebee
10-12-2008, 07:26 PM
The repair manual just says to tighten them.
I havent done mine yet so I cant tell you the bolt size, but general torque specs for a 6mm bolt is 88in-# and an 8mm is 16ft-#.
They do not need to be overtight, stay on the light side.

BTW 88in-# = 7.3ft-#

NacsMXer
10-14-2008, 10:07 AM
Thanks a lot for everyone's hints and tips :)

honda400ex2003
10-15-2008, 09:43 PM
If you end up using after market springs or anything be careful. I know they are alot stiffer. I used the tusk hd ones that came with my clutch plates and kept tightening them until snug and snapped the head off one of the bolts. I had all the rest good to go and pow the last one broke from the forces on the rest adding to that one also along with turning it. I had to loosen them up a tad after that. Good luck, Steve

NacsMXer
10-16-2008, 10:23 AM
Yeah I got it all done with no mishaps :D

The springs were no big deal at all, I just tightened until they bottomed out, then slightly snugged them with a 1/4" ratchet like you guys said.

The hardest part was actually getting the front cover off...nobody ever mentions that part! lol :scary:
I got all the bolts out and started tapping the cover with a rubber mallet and pulling on it as hard as I could but the thing wouldn't budge! I about gave into exhaustion when I noticed a small tab on the corner of the cover behind the rear brake cylinder. I got a huge flat blade screwdriver and started prying against the swingarm and the tab. I tried and tried, and again nearly gave up. I gave it one last go and the cover finally let loose with a loud "pop".

Scraping the old gasket off the cover was also a huge PITA :mad: I'll probably try to reuse the old gasket next time. Also had to take my right side motor mount off in order to move one of my oil pipes out of the way. That was due to my aftermarket oil cooler with its huge inflexible oil lines :rolleyes:

Good learning experience though, i'm sure next time will go a lot easier after learning some things the hard way the first time :p

In the middle of it
http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/8633/dsc0116na3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/8941/dsc0117ed1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Honda#4
10-16-2008, 11:31 AM
If you didnt its a good idea to clean out the screen on the bottom of the motor just incase theres debris in it.

AZ440ex
10-16-2008, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Honda#4
If you didnt its a good idea to clean out the screen on the bottom of the motor just incase theres debris in it.

You would be amazed how many people don't even know that screen is there. :eek2:

Honda#4
10-16-2008, 06:06 PM
I know, That screen collects alot of crap, when I did mine the thing was black alittle brake clean and good as new.

riderssb250x
03-10-2009, 07:50 AM
is there any special way that the steel plates go in?>

Chukkinsod
03-11-2009, 08:56 PM
Where is that at! I will be the first to say I did not! Whats the easiest way to get at it.........my clutch side/basket off now....would be a good time to get at it!

Chukkinsod
03-13-2009, 09:58 AM
Found it! That thing was nasty and full of debris....glad you posted that or I'd of never known it was there!

slowleak
03-18-2009, 01:27 PM
can anyone tell me how many fibers/steel plates there are in total? i think i lost one, and i need to do my clutch tonight.

drew416ex
03-18-2009, 03:34 PM
7 fricton and 6 steel

slowleak
03-18-2009, 04:40 PM
thanks! i do have them all so i geuss i will get to ride this weekend after all!

03-18-2009, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Honda#4

word. My brothers quad I remember had all kinds of metal shavings and all looks real bad. I took mine out and it was clean, big shocker there. Synthetics FTW!