PDA

View Full Version : David Knight to race KTM ATV at Ironman!

Pappy
10-08-2008, 10:45 AM
http://www.racerpress.com/newsmanager/templates/?a=1340&z=5

Pretty dang cool!!

250r rider 88
10-08-2008, 11:06 AM
should be interesting to see, hopefully i can get up there to the ironman this year, missed the last few due to work

Ryan
10-08-2008, 11:45 AM
Should be real interesting!

I'd like to see where Barry Hawk would stand if he jumped back on a ATV. That would be cool!

250r rider 88
10-08-2008, 11:49 AM
agreed, im thinking knight will finish in the top 20 overall and top 10 in XC1 class, just because the XC racing experience is there, and he shows alot of dedication on the course any given weekend

jiffers
10-08-2008, 01:47 PM
this weekend he is doing weston beach race here in the uk which is a 3hr enduro race on a beach with huge big dunes on a atv as well as the solo race the next day

jiff

Mxjunkie
10-08-2008, 04:03 PM
I can't wait to see how many of the bike guys try quads now that almost every brand offers a sport atv now. :cool:

Pappy
10-08-2008, 04:05 PM
Can you imagine what it would have been like if Barry hawk could have raced atv's and bikes in the pro ranks at the same time....the future could see this if the rules would allow it!

GE4x4
10-08-2008, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
Can you imagine what it would have been like if Barry hawk could have raced atv's and bikes in the pro ranks at the same time....the future could see this if the rules would allow it!

I don't get why a pro can't race both. What's the big deal to make a rule so they can't. The amertures can, so why can't the pros?

younggun95
10-08-2008, 04:59 PM
It gives the ones that do extra time on the course.

Pappy
10-08-2008, 05:03 PM
Correct, the Pro riders are not even allowed to pre walk the course.

GE4x4
10-08-2008, 05:09 PM
I see. But don't the DB get a lot of new single track??

TWISTED
10-08-2008, 05:12 PM
Props to David Knight..... HUGE PROPS!!!!!

ricksmx865
10-08-2008, 05:28 PM
i cannot wait to see this, should make for a good time!:D

Pappy
10-08-2008, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by GE4x4
I see. But don't the DB get a lot of new single track??

Yes they normally do. I think Knight will be able to run pro classes at ironman due to him having the championship wrapped up.

Personally, I think in XC racing the track should be able to be walked by anyone. What this rule has done is to put more team members on teh course directing riders which isnt a bad thing I guess, but from a safety standpoint I would like to see that rule go away.

younggun95
10-08-2008, 07:22 PM
I thought I understood from the release that the reason he was riding the atv was because he had the championship wrapped up and it didnt matter that he wasnt riding the bike.

jcv400ex
10-08-2008, 07:33 PM
Honestly, alittle of me is like "WTF the pro bike racer thinks he can just jump on an ATV and compete with the XC1 Pros?! Who does he think he is?!"

Is that wrong of me?

etccb
10-08-2008, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by jcv400ex
Honestly, alittle of me is like "WTF the pro bike racer thinks he can just jump on an ATV and compete with the XC1 Pros?! Who does he think he is?!"

Is that wrong of me?

Word is he has raced quads overseas before so it wouldn't be a first time thing.

Pappy
10-09-2008, 11:46 AM
looks like Knight wont be racing a bike on the sunday after the atv race...as per the rules.

and polaris will get to run their new 850cc sportsman in 2009 due to a cc ruling change!

http://www.racerpress.com/newsmanager/templates/?a=1347&z=15

coryatver
10-09-2008, 11:59 AM
Correct, the Pro riders are not even allowed to pre walk the course.

They are allowed to on the day of there race.

And David Knight he was born to race anything with wheels and win.

Pappy
10-09-2008, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by coryatver
They are allowed to on the day of there race.

And David Knight he was born to race anything with wheels and win.

True, but none of them walk it like they did before the rule change. For many years it was common practice to see them walk the entire course, now they only hit the areas around the pits.

Kinight will not finish inside the top 30....not bashing, just a feeling

Scro
10-09-2008, 12:30 PM
I think you may be close. The competition just seems stiffer on quads than it does bikes. I'm gonna go ahead and call it...24th overall.

250r rider 88
10-09-2008, 12:32 PM
in a few weeks will will see, it will be interesting to say the least, everyone was all hyped up about eichner and look how he did so it could be a repeat

Scro
10-09-2008, 12:35 PM
I didn't expect Eichner to do any good. There's a big difference in the type of terrain between the GNCC and WORCS. But with Knight, he knows the conditions and what to expect. I'm pretty excited:p

Pappy
10-09-2008, 12:37 PM
I hope he does well, dont get me wrong. And it is a positiove for the sport as his attendence will bring more attention to the atv side of things!

coryatver
10-09-2008, 12:39 PM
Eichner didn't have a chance against east coast competition it is a whole different level.

younggun95
10-09-2008, 03:25 PM
I don't believe that Eichner not doing well has anything to do with an overall east vs west is faster.
Like Scro said, the terrain is totally different for a WORCS racer. I believe it is easier for a GNCC racer to adapt to a WORCS course, then WORCS to GNCC. I have no doubt that the few WORCS Pros that have competed in GNCCs could do well with more training in similar terrain.

woodsman250r
10-10-2008, 09:12 AM

Is that wrong of me?

Yes it is wrong of you to think that. It isn't like he is going out there to try and win a championship on a quad, he is just riding one to see how he does and for a change of pace. And why would he run with any other class but pro since he won the bike championship as a pro? And if anything this will give the quads some publicity because he is such a popular figure in the bike world. I don't know if you really know who David Knight is or not, but the guy is one of the best riders in the world and to think he CAN'T complete against the XC1 pros is a foolish statement. Now, I am not saying he is going to come in and win but I think he can land in the top ten if he has a solid ride.

j_cyrus3
10-10-2008, 10:50 AM
If the quad will hold up for him, I expect him in the top 20 overall.

Smokey
10-11-2008, 05:22 AM

Is that wrong of me?

Let me just say from what I have done that going from a bike to a quad is easier than a quad to a bike . If you can transfer the bike skills to a quad it makes you faster . Knight is already fast so I think he will at least be top 10 and run up front most of the race , but the quad beats you up more than a bike so I think he will drop off the pace a little . I would also not rule out that Knight may try for the quad championship in the future . Barry Hawk went from quads to bikes so why couldnt Knight do it the other way . Besides it will just draw more positive attention to the quads.

jiffers
10-11-2008, 01:01 PM
well today at the beach race he got a bad start but by the end of lap one he was leading only to lose the lead half way through to gain it back in the last hour but in the last 1/2 hour he fell back to 2nd only to stall and unable to restart bike

coryatver
10-11-2008, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by jiffers
well today at the beach race he got a bad start but by the end of lap one he was leading only to lose the lead half way through to gain it back in the last hour but in the last 1/2 hour he fell back to 2nd only to stall and unable to restart bike

thanks for the update!

jcv400ex
10-11-2008, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by woodsman250r
Yes it is wrong of you to think that. It isn't like he is going out there to try and win a championship on a quad, he is just riding one to see how he does and for a change of pace. And why would he run with any other class but pro since he won the bike championship as a pro? And if anything this will give the quads some publicity because he is such a popular figure in the bike world. I don't know if you really know who David Knight is or not, but the guy is one of the best riders in the world and to think he CAN'T complete against the XC1 pros is a foolish statement. Now, I am not saying he is going to come in and win but I think he can land in the top ten if he has a solid ride.

I don't know, its like a Sprint cup racer racing in the Nationwide series...I just don't like it. :ermm: If you start out the season Pro on a bike, I don't think you should be able to race a quad later in the season after you've wrapped up the championship....but that's just me.

jiffers
10-12-2008, 02:23 AM
valentino rossi is doing the rally GB this year the last round of the world rally champs is that wrong???? he has also wraped the gp title up

jiff

younggun95
10-14-2008, 03:22 PM
Knight ended up in 4th place for the Beach race on the quad.

quadinfamily
10-14-2008, 08:26 PM
i think he will catch a tree and be out of the race.
that is my opinion .
still great for the sport

SRH
10-14-2008, 09:13 PM
it all carries over but i cant picture him in the top 20...that would be like putting ballance on a bike and expecting to see him banging bars with knight or hawk etc....

is this a new rule? i know in around 98 scott summer use to run a honda 300 in the quad race and then his xr in the bike

bradley300
10-15-2008, 06:48 PM
remember knight races 3 hours on the bikes, a quad race is only 2 hours. the quad fatigues the rider more, but he wont be on it nearly as long.

this also isnt just a typical bike rider, isnt he nearly undefeated on the bikes?

pretty sure he has raced quads all his life also, just put more emphasis on bikes so its not like he's some ameteur, he knows what he's doing.

He's also knows not to make a fool of his self, he's already entered one quad race, plans on racing the premeir quad race on the east coast, he's not making that kind of commitment without a ton of practice. Also, being a factory rider, KTM doesnt want to be embarrassed either, i doubt he will be on anything less than the regular KTM quad team is on.

I think a top 10 is completly plausible provided the machine is set up right, and holds together

Pappy
10-25-2008, 01:08 PM
ahem:o

All bets are closed...race will be over shortly:devil:

250r rider 88
10-25-2008, 02:06 PM
man i was close i said top 20 and he finished 22nd

Pappy
10-25-2008, 02:13 PM
49th overall...these aint no bikes...lol

250r rider 88
10-25-2008, 02:18 PM
49th overall...these aint no bikes...lol

what? what was that 22nd i seen in the GNCC forums? was that class finish?

Pappy
10-25-2008, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by 250r rider 88
what? what was that 22nd i seen in the GNCC forums? was that class finish?

yep

250r rider 88
10-25-2008, 08:33 PM
ahh that clears it up, pappy did you happen to notice if the KTM demo rides were providing helmets for participants or if you are supposed to bring your own. I'll be up there in the morning to help by buddy racing his bike and figured I'd go ride the 525 XC and see how i like it

Pappy
10-25-2008, 08:37 PM
I have no clue, I wasnt at the race. This wasnt one of my scheduled rounds to work...however.....most ofthese rides have helmets because they know many are there to spectate etc.

250r rider 88
10-25-2008, 08:39 PM
good deal i cant wait to ride that 525, its finally time to update to the 4 stroke age haha,

Pappy
10-25-2008, 08:45 PM
You will like it

:p

250r rider 88
10-26-2008, 04:45 PM
well low and behold i walk up to the KTM demo trailer which was awesome they even had the SX's out there to ride as well and i had a huge smile on my face and i asked what all i needed and the dude flat out told me a helmet and googles as well as boots and long sleeve clothing, i had everything except the helmet and googles, so a lilttle dissapointed i wasnt able to ride them but i still know it is more than likely what im upgrading too, i just got a good paying job excavating so ill be getting it for my christmas present to me, and be sending some stuff your way for some PC by beginning of year Pappy

oh and my two buddies, one was first time ever racing GNCC, hes a MX guy, raced 1st year racer in the morning got 4th, and my other buddy got 10th in open C so not too bad of a day

Pappy
10-26-2008, 04:47 PM
sounds good

i would have borrowed a helmet from someone!!! even if you had to snatch one form teh can am demo:devil:

250r rider 88
10-26-2008, 04:51 PM
haha yea i wouldve used my buddies but i was only able to go while he was racing and after they finished in the morning ktm was packing up, oh well no big deal

what made me mad was i turn around and Polaris was letting people ride with no helmets

so im thinking this whole ordeal is a Whiskey Tango Foxtrot if you know what i mean

bradley300
10-27-2008, 06:42 AM
i was lurking around knight's pit after he came back in and got to eaves drop a little and look at his quad. He deffinatly hit something pretty hard, the front bumper was tweaked. His pit board was leaned against the truck " 2 wheels for you!". I dont know if he knew the results yet (at the dinner he did, and seemed awful dissapointed according to my friends) but he seems to have enjoyed himself and talked about everything that happened with a smile on his face. I'd say all in all, quads may have gained some respect from the dirtbike crowd after he was done and who kows, maybe he's got the itch for a new challenge now and we can see him again soon.

I did notice he had a stock pipe and presumably stock shocks. I didnt notice the handlebars but the only real aftermarket on the quad were Hiper wheels (dont know about tireballs) and a custom set of KTM/Redbull graphics with his name on them. I kind of thought KTM would have set him up better than that, surely one of the regular KTM GNCCers had a much better quad he could have ridden, but who knows