PDA

View Full Version : Thumb throttle- twitchiness

2old2race
10-08-2008, 06:40 AM
I have noticed the thumb throttle is very sensitive compared to my EX's. When you let off on the Outlaw it revs down abruptly; when you get back on, it jerks off again.
My EX's thumb throttle seems smoother and more fluid. When going over bumps, the EX is a lot easier to maintain a steady speed.
The Outlaw being so twitchy and wants to buck more.

Is there a way to adjust the sensitivity? I may try adjusting a bit more slack in the cable. The lever is also a lot more difficult to get a good feel for than the EX. I may try an extension on the lever.

But...I hate to have to do it, but I may need to go back to a twist throttle.

somewon
10-08-2008, 09:06 AM
part of what your talking about deals with the weight of the flywheel. you could look around and see if the cost and time of swapping flywheels is worth the hassle.

Have you tried using a higher gear to lug around in?

2old2race
10-08-2008, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by somewon
part of what your talking about deals with the weight of the flywheel. you could look around and see if the cost and time of swapping flywheels is worth the hassle.

Have you tried using a higher gear to lug around in?

I'll give that a try Saturday and see what a difference it makes.
It is just like anything. My bike has an extremely sensitive throttle. My previous bike, you could really wring out the throttle.

It probably has a lot to do with just getting used to it. I can't imagine what an exhaust, air cleaner, and jetting would do to the sensitivity.
Thanks.

cmpearce
10-11-2008, 05:25 PM
don't put to much slack in the cable or the T.P.S. (throttle position sensor) will engage and kill the motor or make it back fire . i just fixed a guys on a poker run.

SSJEFF
10-11-2008, 06:14 PM
I hate to say it but you are experiencing power. A powerful motor will rev up and dwon quicker, the opnly thing you could do to the flywheel is to make it heavier. Most guys lighten the flywheel on the 500 motor to make it even snappier. You might move the throttle lever around to try and make it easier and more comfortable. I have never noticed the problem you are speeking of but I have used a thumb throttle for a long long time and have rode many different quads.

Have you ever gotten into someone elses car and moved it, the brakes and the throttle felt so much different didn't they? Same thing here, once youget used to it then you will not notice it so much. I have been a chevy guy forever, got a deal on a 95 explorer and it was the oddest thing in the world. I do not notice it at all now.

smokinwrench
10-11-2008, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by SSJEFF
I hate to say it but you are experiencing power. A powerful motor will rev up and dwon quicker, the opnly thing you could do to the flywheel is to make it heavier.

That was my exact thought when reading this post. I experinced that going from my moded 400ex to my Predator. It is a great feeling.

montycarlo
10-12-2008, 09:27 PM
I noticed this big time today my first actual race on the 450mxr - I got used to it! :D