PDA

View Full Version : power problem

foodaguard
10-07-2008, 10:28 PM
i have a 2000 400ex with k&n and supertrap exhaust its jeted correctly and i have stock gearing. my problem is that my bike just dosent have the power of even a stock 400. my cousin has a stock 2001 and his bike just pulls up the front end all the time and has no problem in tight turns whare as my bike has a hard time wheelieing even when i sit all the way back and pull up. i also have trouble powering through tight turns. his quad also eats mine up in hill climbs .

foodaguard
10-07-2008, 10:30 PM
any idea on my poblem or suggustions

Pipeless416
10-07-2008, 10:31 PM
it sounds like you're having issues all the time, but just throwing this out there won't hurt.. is your choke on?... we've all done that before... could you need a new clutch? mine could not put power to the ground until i got a new clutch kit and basket.

foodaguard
10-07-2008, 10:59 PM
choke is gone i took it out and i thought it was clutch so i put an ebc kit in and same problem

Mellow Yellow
10-08-2008, 11:04 AM
Due for a valve adjustment maybe?

86 Quad R
10-08-2008, 04:17 PM
i wonder if the compression hasnt fallen off.

are you certain that ur jetting is correct?

10-08-2008, 04:51 PM
check your jetting again make sure and be possitive its right. have you adjusted your valves lately? what about tire differences? his is 1year newer it could be just enough to pull more because it isnt as worn out. maybe he has something done and is keeping it a secret.

brian76708
10-08-2008, 06:10 PM
i have a similar problem (thats why i am going to do a 416 without any of my friends knowing and then race them)

anyways my friend has a completely stock 400ex and i just have a pipe and its geared down a sprocket and he does just as good as me off the line then he passes me. we have even switched quads and we get the same result i know since mine is geared down i have a lower top end but i should beet him off of the line and i never do. I even checked my valves and compression and they both are in spec so im looking forward to the 416 :)

AZ440ex
10-08-2008, 06:17 PM
Being a 2000 it may be time to do a top end. If you have the manual just pop the top end off and take a look inside. Its a pretty simple process. If your money is tight you may even get away with a hone job and new rings as long as the cylinder is not too bad. Can always bore it to a 416 too.

After you do the motor work get an hour meter, they are cheap and its good to know how many hours you have on the motor.

10-08-2008, 06:46 PM
make sure your throttle is 100% wide open. my brother would always beat me top end wise and hang on a bit down low even though i had a better tuned more power. But... my throttle slide at wht was thought to be 100% throttle was really just over 3/4. He would always pass me like i was standing still in upper rpm i thought maybe he put that hotcam back in it. investigated and nope that wasnt it. tire pressure was the only thing until i realized my carb dilema. i opened it up to 100% throttle so the slide goes all the way up and rejetted. now i can fly right past him all the time. i have him through the whole powerband and with the addition of my timing key I can walk past him.