PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting the throttle link arm gap ?

MtnEX
10-07-2008, 08:58 PM
Well, I recalled reading about setting the gap on the linkage to synchronize the slide and butterfly... and I recalled suggesting I saw that when someone was trying to work out a tune job.

Mine is still not what I think it ought to be, so I figured I would check my own and adjust it.

I somehow ended up with my adjustment slot all the way closed and I still never got any gap. So I figured I'd just try it there to see what happened.

I'm firing right up, but reving really high. I guess I screwed up there and something is holding open. Either that or I did something wrong in a rush trying to get it back together.

Either way, I'm going to take the carb back off and try again.

So what am I doing wrong to not be getting gap between the link arm shaft and throttle link arm?... Or what might I have adjusted wrong that is preventing it?

Who's done this adjustment successfully that can offer me some pointers?

MtnEX
10-08-2008, 12:58 AM
OK... so I got frustrated and got serious about figuring this deal out.

So here is a little "how-to" on synchronizing your carb by adjusting/setting this gap in the throttle assembly.

First of all, my mistake was not just removing the carb to do this.

It's not real hard to remove the airbox, snorkel and carb on this units.
It's much easier removing than trying to work on it mounted.
With removal you even get to skip the step of taking the tank off.

During removal of the carb, you'll have to take the black plastic side cover off, which you have to remove anyways to get to the area.

Once you have it off and you're in there, start by grabbing your feeler guages... then hold the slide arm down and check to see that both the slide and butterfly are closed. Then check the current gap setting here....

http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr149/Duster_2-400s/020.jpg

The factory service manual specs are...
0.1-0.3mm (0.004 - 0.012)

If you are inside these margins, then work the throttle manually and observe both the slide and butterfly to see how the operation timing is in tandem.

In my opinion, it's better you do not drain the carb. This way you can work the carb with care and observe the fuel spray.

Should you need to adjust, sorry... it's a pretty crude activity with a very Fred Flintstone way of adjusting.

To make changes, do so by opening or closing this adjusting slot.
Flat screwdriver to open, pliers to close.

http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr149/Duster_2-400s/021.jpg