PDA

View Full Version : EVEN trade - stock 04 450r for my modded 02 440ex???

EMX5636
10-07-2008, 07:42 PM
I might have the chance to swap my boss for his recently purchased 04 450r. It's all stock, aside from a K&N Filter. Is it worth trading my 440 for it? Both have nerfs and front bumpers.

ASR +3+1 arms
Works Pro Billet shocks w/ Res
440 big bore 12:1
ported head, valves, hotcam
aluminum battery/filter box
LSR rear subframe
durablue axle
sparks x6 exhaust
Pro-taper bars
06 450r swinger
450r Carb
Maier scooped hood

I think that's most of it. I mostly ride hard trails, coal hillclimbs, and a standard MX season (like 6-10 races). I know 450's are where it's at for MX, but I dunno if I'm giving up to much just to get the engine... Thanks,

Justin W

10-07-2008, 07:47 PM
I would keep the 400ex. you have a lot done and it probally rides nice. stock 450r aint all that what you have is going to be faster and most likely better handling.

EMX5636
10-07-2008, 07:53 PM
I know it handles better than the stock 450r. But I have ridden an aftermarket suspended 450r with some engine work, and my 440 doesn't nearly have the snap that it does...

I even went ahead and bought an 02 yz426 to swap the engine into my quad, but its hard to match the reliability of the 400ex engine... I guess I just want some more power, in a slightly lighter setup.

I do want to look to see if I have a spark advance key.... before I decide either way.

10-07-2008, 07:56 PM
i like the 400ex more because it will lug you around in tight stuff or when your tired and you dont wanna go fast no more. personal opinion though. for mx the 450 is hard to beat

04TRX400EX
10-07-2008, 08:10 PM
I'd say it all depends on how much you like your 440EX and how you feel on it. If you feel the power is good and you are comfortable with the suspension setup, keep the EX. If you feel that you have done all you can and still want more, switch to the 450R and start the mod process again. Out of the box, the 450R's handle like crap on the track so while it will be a little quicker, your 440 will out-perform the R in the turns.

Sweendogie
10-07-2008, 08:26 PM
as long as its solid go for the 450... it has all that a 400ex has and more...its hard to let something go that you have spent time and money on but its worth it for a 450... i own a yfz but owned a 400ex before and my friend has a 450r(and by the way on trails the 450r rips it up!) i tried to think of every possible reason to keep my 400 and all i could think of was maintenance on a 450 is more than you would have to do on the ex... but that alone didnt keep me from getting one i enjoy tinkering around with my quad and i dont regret getting the yfz one bit...:D

2muchquad
10-09-2008, 10:28 PM
Yeah thats a tough decision,i ride with my buddy who has a bone stock(stock muffler and all)06 450 er and i laugh how quiet it is but it does get up and go,he can destropy mine in a drag race but all i have on my 400 is a lrd slip on and a k&n air filter.I have more torque and tractability in the woods though,hes always stalling that thing.;)

hypersnyper6947
10-10-2008, 12:27 PM
I was looking to do the same thing, trade for a stock 450. I decided that i know my self and if i get the 450 im going to do the same mods i have, suspension full exhuast etc.... and its going to cost a lot. So i stuck with my mighty 440, it has lots of torque and handles awesome, for what i do and where i ride its not worth the $2000 i would end up spending on the 450. It was very tempting though.

Ruby Soho
10-10-2008, 02:19 PM
do the trade.

your EX is worth nothing now a days, the 450 is a better investment.

Brauap
10-10-2008, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by EMX5636

06 450r swinger...

Justin W

What? I am going to send you a PM so I don't ruin your thread. (I'd keep the 440..)

hypersnyper6947
10-10-2008, 03:21 PM
investment wise yea i guess its a better choice to go for the 450

EMX5636
10-12-2008, 05:18 PM
I just placed 6th on saturday's race, and 3rd on sundays race (resulting in 4th overall) this past weekend in Wildwood, NJ.

Based off this, I know now that I need more power, esp in the straights. So I think I'm almost going to have to sell the 440ex, my yz426, and just pick up a season old, already setup mx 450r honda. I love the 440, but it's just not proving to be enough without putting even more money into it.

Justin

EMX5636
10-26-2008, 09:44 PM
Well, did the obvious. Traded my 440ex and my yz426 for an 04 450r (470 kit and elka/laeger LT front). Now I guess I have some work to do.

Justin

leasureryan
10-26-2008, 10:11 PM
I hate how everyone whines and crys trying to say you can't ride an R in trails...and they won't just lug you around the yard. I say suck it up and ride like a man.....if you want to go sight seeing....get a Foreman 450

They also say they need more maintinance.....my buddy has raced the gncc circuit with the same bike, and wins, every year for the past few years with the same bike....no motor work, fully suspended, bike gets beat on, 8 frame welds, bout time for a new one....but NEVER a damn bit of trouble out of the faithful ole' Honda motor....anyone who tells you they are not reliable needs to get a better mechanic!

2muchquad
10-27-2008, 09:08 AM
If you think you can run a 450 HARD and not have any wear and tear on it,thats would be a sight to see.I have known bikes a year old to need new heads.Your buddy must not ride it like hes racing;) I say BS..

10-27-2008, 10:15 AM
i am one of those guys that said the 450r can't be ridden on the trails...at least easily anyway...i got rid of mine for that and the poor starting reason...not everyone is out there to go fast all the time...when my wife had a 400ex, she would ride also...she don't ride much and was not nearly as skilled or fast as me...

i don't limit my riding to the fastest sport machines...and riding with utes got to be more work than fun to keep the thing running and not stalling out on me...went back to a 400ex and am so very happy with it...i actually enjoy riding again

EMX5636
10-27-2008, 12:12 PM
well I'm definately gonna miss my EX... But I do ride hard a lot, and trail "issues" wasn't a main concern for me anyways. Plus it should handle a bit better with the LT elka/laeger than my works, ASR standard travel did.

leasureryan
10-27-2008, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by 2muchquad
If you think you can run a 450 HARD and not have any wear and tear on it,thats would be a sight to see.I have known bikes a year old to need new heads.Your buddy must not ride it like hes racing;) I say BS..

You can call BS all day if you want......it's the truth.....reguardless of your opinion

brian76708
10-27-2008, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by leasureryan
You can call BS all day if you want......it's the truth.....reguardless of your opinion

ask your buddy how often he shims the valves i bet he says a lot. the 450r is notorious for the need to check your valves often and as many people don't you can say bye bye top end. Titanium valves are not cheap either.

EMX5636
10-31-2008, 01:43 PM
I don't see why this arguement is valid... If you buy something and don't have the time/patience/money whatever to do the maintenance, then don't buy it in the first place. Yes, some may need more than others, but it's the nature of the beast, get over it.

10-31-2008, 02:29 PM
I have seen so many people go from their 400ex to a 450 thinking its going to be the greatest thing and they end up selling it to buy another 400ex. Totally different machines. I like the 450 power and all but not how it comes on. I like being able to slowly putt around just letting out the clutch and not having to give it all that gas to just move and then to have it so there is power that low you would have to deffinately gear it down some. The 400ex I can stop, pop the clutch a little bit with a small rev and just slow ride barely on the gas wheelie. In trails or really technical stuff I dont have to worry about stalling. 450's are high revving engines they want to go fast and be revved high. Comfort and maintainance I choose the 400ex. Its not the most powerful but how many people do you see on a 450 even use all of its power? Not many. I see larger people because thats one of the few things that can haul them around. I see people buy 450's thinking it will make them faster and amazing at riding. I have beaten a some of the 450's not drag race wise but track and trails. I consider myself a good rider but i'm not like whoa that guy is amazing at riding. I can do almost anything the 450's can. The only time I have wondered about power and doubting being able to do something is this one jump where it was a fairly short distance and the thing to barely make it was a fully built LTR. He hit 4th gear on his LTR with 18" tires so thats probally my upper 4th gear on the 400ex and I didnt know if I could get enough speed to clear it. Thats the only time I have been restricted to riding due to engine power. The only plans I have motor wise for my 400ex is a 10:1 wiseco maybe 406cc, stage 1 hotcam and myabe a port cleanup. Full exhaust and a 450r carb might be added to the picture too. Thats plenty of power for me I have no use for more. Ride one for a bit nd see how you like the 450. If your a serious racer the 450 is for you. If you like to have fun play riding and still being the racer type stay with the 400ex.

Sweendogie
10-31-2008, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
I have seen so many people go from their 400ex to a 450 thinking its going to be the greatest thing and they end up selling it to buy another 400ex. Totally different machines. I like the 450 power and all but not how it comes on. I like being able to slowly putt around just letting out the clutch and not having to give it all that gas to just move and then to have it so there is power that low you would have to deffinately gear it down some. The 400ex I can stop, pop the clutch a little bit with a small rev and just slow ride barely on the gas wheelie. In trails or really technical stuff I dont have to worry about stalling. 450's are high revving engines they want to go fast and be revved high. Comfort and maintainance I choose the 400ex. Its not the most powerful but how many people do you see on a 450 even use all of its power? Not many. I see larger people because thats one of the few things that can haul them around. I see people buy 450's thinking it will make them faster and amazing at riding. I have beaten a some of the 450's not drag race wise but track and trails. I consider myself a good rider but i'm not like whoa that guy is amazing at riding. I can do almost anything the 450's can. The only time I have wondered about power and doubting being able to do something is this one jump where it was a fairly short distance and the thing to barely make it was a fully built LTR. He hit 4th gear on his LTR with 18" tires so thats probally my upper 4th gear on the 400ex and I didnt know if I could get enough speed to clear it. Thats the only time I have been restricted to riding due to engine power. The only plans I have motor wise for my 400ex is a 10:1 wiseco maybe 406cc, stage 1 hotcam and myabe a port cleanup. Full exhaust and a 450r carb might be added to the picture too. Thats plenty of power for me I have no use for more. Ride one for a bit nd see how you like the 450. If your a serious racer the 450 is for you. If you like to have fun play riding and still being the racer type stay with the 400ex.
i love my 450 and dont think i could ever go back to my 400ex and thats what i do mostly is trails... ive never raced before in my life... it is more maintenance but the maintenance that is necessary is cake and its very well worth it... plus i love tinkering around with stuff... thats just my opinion

EMX5636
10-31-2008, 03:13 PM
I agree with both of you, and I have my own point to make. While I was able to keep up with a bunch of 450's in C class, my 440ex wasn't longtravel. I was faster through turns and some holeshots, but longer straightaways they could pull a bit. I would have had to put another 1500ish into my 400ex to go to front LT, and it wasn't worth putting that much more into it. It was just cheaper for me to sell it, and get a 450r with LT already. I probably will miss my 400, I loved trail riding it, but I just needed something a bit more...

Justin

boosted3g
11-02-2008, 04:36 AM
I honestly cant figure out why you guys cant trail ride a 450r. I rode all day yesterday at Treverton in the coal pit and hill climbs and had no problems what so ever. Drop a tooth in the front and its good to go. You wont creep around at crawl like the 400 but are we riding or are we taking it for a walk.

11-02-2008, 06:30 AM
what a bunch of whiny babies..

Let's get something straight here. Now I all know you guys are a bunch of banshee haters. But you all know that they have like NO low end, or barely any..
Now, by just gearing down, my father or I, whoevers riding, can easily trail ride it. So whats the big deal with the 450? Im sure they have more low end then a banshee does.

I think you all need to learn how to ride, or gear down your bikes. It did wonders for the banshee because you can hit powerband in first gear in the trails.