PDA

View Full Version : Neck braces

duffman1483
10-07-2008, 03:45 PM
Has anyone tried the new neck braces from alpinestar, leatt brace, or evs? While they look cumbersome, I was wondering if I can get feedback on anyone that has tried it. I have heard what the magazines said but I want to hear an unbiased riders opinion on this. I used to use a horse collar but these seem like even better protection. Any advice either way is appreciated as I had a pretty bad accident and think I should upgrade.
Thanks,
Ken

quad2xtreme
10-07-2008, 03:49 PM
I've been wearing a Leatt since they came out. I can't ride without it now. It isn't uncomfortable to me at all.

I bought the Sport ($600) the 1st time. If I had it to do again, I would go with the $400 one. The weight difference is very minimal and the $200 would have been better spent somewhere else.

younggun95
10-07-2008, 03:51 PM
I wont ride without my Leatt now. Bad crash that the Leatt saved my life, but u dont care about that.

Took quite a while for me to get the fitment right to be comfortable with it. Didn't like it at first, but when I got all the adjustments right I liked it a lot more. In my opinion I wouldn't buy the new one that is way cheaper because you loose all of the adjustability. I also have tried all of the different models, and I don't believe the more expensive lighter leatt is worth it. I couldn't feel a big enough difference in weight.

I haven't yet tried the evs or alpinestar. Anyone know if alpine is selling theirs now? They were getting sued by Leatt and weren't selling it before.

mcwilly
10-07-2008, 04:40 PM
I dont have one (yet) but my son wears one. (Leatt) Doesnt bother him at all. Half the time, he'll leave it on even when he's not riding (between races or resting). It's a little tricky to get it on/off w/ the chest protector, but it gets easier the more you do it.
If you wear a chest protector and have someplace locally that sells the Leatts, I'd recommend trying it on w/ your chest protector to make sure it fits. (I know it's a problem w/ kids chest protectors, but not sure about adult sized chest protectors).
We had to buy a new chest protector for my son after buying the Leatt.

SRH
10-07-2008, 06:04 PM
i just broke my back , a leatt wouldnt of prevented my injury as it was a compression burst fracture but as far as bending , twisting etc i def think the leatt was a good investment, keep in mind if u land on your head its still can compress and you can be drinking thru a straw, take my advice and do as much as you can to protect yourself, mine unfortunately couldnt be prevented unless you could make a *** airbag but its no fun being stuck in a wheel chair, i know ill be investing in a leatt if i walk again and even play ride around my house on a utility

duffman1483
10-07-2008, 06:27 PM
Thanks for all the help, just so many have flooded the market and all I hear is the propaganda coming from the magazines, its just hard to make a choice. Thanks for the help.

TRX450RACER174
10-07-2008, 06:29 PM
I wear a Leatt had a bad crash in Feb 08 and it saved my neck and instead seperated my shoulder,I will never ride without it again worth every penny IMO. As far as fit i no longer even know its there it just feel natural now at first it was kinda weird but now its just another part of my body and dont notice it at all.

08mxkfx
10-07-2008, 07:10 PM
what do you guys think of the new alpinestar brace? I see that Villipoto wears one-
http://www.alpinestars.com/store/productimages/regular/650009_black_red_l.jpg

http://www.alpinestars.com/Bionic_Neck_Support/pd/np/170/p/650009.html