PDA

View Full Version : Blaster on a budget

cam19aro86
10-06-2008, 08:49 PM
I recently bought a Yamaha Blaster for my girlfriend. I have a 400ex that needs updating so I am not trying to spend thousand on this blaster. Does anybody have any suggestions on what I should do first. Also what is a good suspension setup. Any help is appricated. Thanks

cam19aro86
10-08-2008, 06:22 PM
anyone?

headache
10-25-2008, 11:11 AM
Ok here is a good setup that i recommend that doesn't cost too much and will make a big improvement.

Find a good used fmf fatty pipe. I know alot of people bash them but for a stock jug motor its a great midrange pipe. also a good silencer is needed. I recommend a dg. they are actually one of the best silencers but their headpipes suck! Then call vito's performance and get a set of their carbonflex reeds. they are the same as the boyesen pro series and they only cost 19.99. and also buy their .018 head gasket. It will raise compression to around 150psi and is like cutting .015 off your head. You can still run 93 octane and it will help build torque.
Next take your flywheel off and your stator plate and slot the stator plate to make it rotate clockwise. cut the slot about .150" wider which will add about 4 degrees timing. Do NOT buy the advancer key. It will just break off.. take your airbox and drill about 10 or so 1/2 inch holes in it. Put in a 270 main jet in the carb and put on a 14tooth front sprocket.
If you want to go deeper you could pull the cylinder off and clean up the exhaust port. Just blend the sleeve into the jug on the top side and make it a little wider, but not alot and smooth it up. Don't touch anything else. You can probably get the used pipe and silencer for 200 or less and the 20 dollar reeds, the head gasket is like 13 i think. and the sprocket is like 12 bucks and a 3 dollar jet for the carb. This will make a huge improvement over stock for less than 300 bucks. and all you need is a drill for the airbox and a dremel for the stator plate. Hope this helps you out. I done this exact mod on my 04 before i ported it and it ran so much better than stock! and was great for trail riding.

cam19aro86
10-25-2008, 05:55 PM
Thanks I appriciate the help, any ideas on suspension set up?

headache
10-26-2008, 05:57 PM
i run Works at steelers on the front of my blaster.I bought them used on ebay for like 140 bucks and they are the best investment i've done so far. They are awesome compared to the worthless stock shocks. I recommend a 400ex rear shock for the rear. It bolts on with little mods..