PDA

View Full Version : Drx or Apex

Sparky D
10-06-2008, 06:17 PM
Sorry if this has been covered b4 but I was hoping for some insight on this matter.

My son races TT and Flattrack (oval). He is currently on a Pred. 90 with Hetrick mods.

I was planning on buying a Drx 90 and called a couple of dealers. Two different dealers (both of them sell both brands) answered my questions on the Drx then suggested that I might want to buy an Apex. Both said the Apex has surpassed the Drx and recommned the Apex over the Drx.

So what gives Apex or Drx. This will be for TT and Flattrack.

Thx

ww228king
10-06-2008, 06:27 PM
I am also on the same band wagon..... Just don't know which one for the money?

MX racing for us.

riding4fun
10-06-2008, 07:33 PM
I have DRR's right now. Bought early last year. As of right now if I had to go out and buy new ones I would go with Apex. They have improved by leaps and bounds.

We run against them in WORCS and they are impressive.

Just my opinion.

quadnana7
10-06-2008, 07:41 PM
DRX
you have better service and a lot of informative DRR dealers
Look at the bikes that winning the classes now
JMO

ww228king
10-06-2008, 07:48 PM
Well,
I see that service may be better with DRR/DRX, but I do all my wrenching and parts is only an order away with Apex. Its a hard decision for sure. It is even harder when I noticed that Gary can sell both. And I am pretty sure he can get the parts. I guess the question is .... lap per lap, which will out perform?

dirttrack86
10-06-2008, 08:42 PM
Well, it depends on the rules. If you can't change anything, see who has the widest stance with the lowest ride height. If you are running in a class that allows changes, then buy the one that cost the least. Because they are identical motors when modded, so no advantage there. But to TT or Oval, you have to change every single suspension part on it to be competitive because both are setup to motocross. So why spend extra money on something you have to completely gut and start over with anyway. And believe you me, in TT and Oval, it's all about clutching and ride height and width. :)

marsrace2
10-07-2008, 10:12 AM
I have an Apex MXR that we race in purely tt and oval, I can tell you really easy and cheap ways to set it up and win. Very easy and cheap to lower and our stock MXR has more motor than the DRRs that have raced in the same class. I also want to mention that in addition to Gary , Scott at WC qUads has been very informative and helpful.
what I would do is buy one of the 07 Apex Mxrs that are on special through westcoast, for what you want it for I would not buy the long travel, and these things are awesome lowered down with a set of flat track tires on them. feel free to contact me if you need any advice.

bulldogfallon
10-07-2008, 10:13 AM
There is a significant price difference...

Stock vs stock the Apex should be better for $1,000 more

If it is a completely bone stock class then the Apex may be the better the choice (unless budget is a factor)

For a serious rider that will break things then I would go with the less expensive DRR and use the extra money to buy real components made in the USA, not Taiwan.

A set of DC A-Arms or Fox/Elka/Motowoz/Pep will outperform and last much longer then the stock Apex or DRR....

The advertised specs on some stock models are also not true from what I have seen, not saying that the actual performance is not good, but i certainly don't see the advertised specs in the suspension area. The features are there, but the performance quality is not...for an aggressive rider.

Once again it comes down to your situation....There is no Taiwan product that I am aware of that will hold a candle to the aftermarket parts made here in the U.S.

So do you want fancy (exagerated) specs or a solid foundation to build from with real performance parts(this will cost a little bit more in the end compared to a stock Apex) but once you push the stock parts they will break, so you will end up buying the aftermarket parts anyway...so all you have done is add $1000 to your base unit cost.

But bone stock vs bone stock the Apex is nicer...but dollar vs dollar at the end of the mods the DRR is my choice.

or if you have a fixed budget and need to add as you go which is why DRR makes their units with the cost efective mindset.

They could easily add a bunch of stuff to their line up, but where does that leave all the manufacturers that make this sport happen? Out of business....and the parts would be subpar?

Some of it can come down to pride in ownership and making the best choice for the industry...some will make the choice just about the bottom line...

Good luck either way

dirttrack86
10-07-2008, 08:43 PM
There you go, Gary explained it a lot better than I did. LOL.:)

Sparky D
10-07-2008, 09:12 PM
Done deal bought a Drx 90.

Being that my son already rides a good running predator and is competitive on it, there was no way I could buy him a stock bike and send him out on the track.

So like someone else said buy the less expensive bike and add to it.

I called Hetrick and they are going to be sending me a tricked out little machine.

I can't wait to see my son race this thing. I'm not sure who is more excited about this me or him. I have already ordered up all are custom number plates and graphics.

Man i've got it bad.

:huh

raidernut
10-07-2008, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by riding4fun
I have DRR's right now. Bought early last year. As of right now if I had to go out and buy new ones I would go with Apex. They have improved by leaps and bounds.

We run against them in WORCS and they are impressive.

Just my opinion.

I agree the apex have improved, but your money would be better spent to save the $1000 and buy REAL high performance parts. The apex's have looked impressive at times in the rugged worcs conditions, but look at what brand is leading almost every youth class...DRR, look at how many National Championships DRR will win, again. How many times have the Apexs been running well and leading races, only to dnf? Buy the less expensive bike, and spend your $1000 for quality aftermarket racing parts, and get the factory and dealer support that goes along with DRR.

just my opinion

dirttrack86
10-07-2008, 10:13 PM
Sounds great !, But be sure and make it very clear to Rich that you are TT racing and not motocross. You will be happy with your purchase.:)

Sparky D
10-07-2008, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by dirttrack86
Sounds great !, But be sure and make it very clear to Rich that you are TT racing and not motocross. You will be happy with your purchase.:)

Oh yeah they know, it's getting the cart rear end and all.

Not sure how all of you here on this board feel about Hetricks, but I have nothing but good things to say about them,

Not just because I bought this quad from them, but when I was building my predator they where happy to answer any questions I had, they have always treated me very good.

dirttrack86
10-08-2008, 08:24 AM
They are really good people, one of the major reasons ATV racing has grown like it has. Although you may want to only talk to them on the phone and not in person, because that Rich and Michelle, man, they put the U in ugly. :eek2: ROFLMAO ! JUST KIDDING !!!! I haven't picked on them in a while and couldn't think of anything to dog them on, so I had to make something up. :D