PDA

View Full Version : question about carb. and different jets

michaelj
10-06-2008, 06:15 PM
I have a 450r carb. and I am running a 48 pilot and a 175 main.. It ran great until I decided to put on a racing aluminum air box. Now it pops alot.. So I put a 50 pilot in it. It idles extremely fast with the 50 and there is no way to turn it down, I tried everything, i noticed the 50 sits higher in the hole in the carb. do all the 50 do this compared to the stock 48's or do I have the wrong type of Keihin jet. Or is the jet just way to rich and that is why it is idling so fast? Please help........

leasureryan
10-06-2008, 09:15 PM
it's obviously lean... I wouldn't be as worried about the pilot size as I would the main. Bump the main up to a 182 or 185....it's gotta be real lean if it's poping real bad. A 50 should work fine. And a bigger jet isn't going to make it idle high. Also, jet length doesn't matter.

What year is your R carb off of? I have idle adjust on my R carb!

michaelj
10-07-2008, 07:38 AM
I am positive it is lean as well so I went from a 48 to a 50 pilot and it screwed up the idling. I am sure it is a 04 carb. it has a idle adjust, I literally turned the idle screw down as far as it will go to where it even isnt touching the throttle cable. My next move is to try a 180 main, my local honda shop doesnt have any 180 mains, any idea on where I could get one.

leasureryan
10-07-2008, 11:48 AM
changing a pilot is NOT what made the idle go up.....if anything, a bigger pilot will make it idle lower. I think you have a bind in your cable, or it is just way out of adjustment