PDA

View Full Version : chroming and powder coating

trx400ex
11-11-2001, 04:05 PM
hey , do any of you guys know of any places that would powdercoat or chrome some of my parts.i think i want to get my swingarm powdercoated to match my aarms and i want to chrome my motor mounts, side cases, and my steering stem. i checked east coast atv and on there website it says sorry no mailorders....i think that means you cant ship them the stuff, right? i think there might be shops in indianapolis that do chroming and powdercoating too. well if any one knows of something please tell me...oh ya has anyone striped the ex down to the frame? is it a mess, im just wondering how you keep track of bolts and all that...thanks

Foxrage
11-11-2001, 05:03 PM
I want to know the same thing im going to get mine powdercoated too eventually.

trx400ex
11-11-2001, 06:07 PM
anyone?

trx400ex
11-13-2001, 05:14 PM
ok anyone know pricesfor chroming

trx400ex
11-13-2001, 07:41 PM
any websites besides eastcoast atv?????

400exRacerX
11-13-2001, 08:22 PM
eastcoastatv is the only place I no of on the net, they have farely good deals but I would never ship my frame. Try asking around and looking in the yellow pages for local places. I get mine done buy a autobody shop guy I know.

liltazz
11-13-2001, 09:11 PM
there is a place called eastwood corp. they sell a powdercoater that you can use in your house. try eastwood.com

11-14-2001, 07:17 AM
Well I can tell ya this,,,getting stuff chromed is not gonna be cheap,,it's like 200 bucks for a swingarm to be chromed,,,I'd say your best bet is to look around in a local phone book for companies,,,I'm lucky I have a buddy who does that stuff for a living,,my stuff will start coming off tonight that needs chromed..:D woo hooo,,,,,,sorry,,had ta rub it in..

trx400ex
11-14-2001, 01:50 PM
what all are you doin rico? how much is it do get the case covers chromed do ya think?

im tryin to figure out what color i want to p coat the stuff, i plan on doing everything, right now im thinkin blue frame subframe swingarm and aarms, or do you think that would be too much blue, plus if i do that ill be getting some white plastic and kk graphics kit....i have silvervien on my aarms right now, and i think its okay, but not as nice looking as red blue or yeller

11-14-2001, 02:03 PM
Man I have no idea on costs,,,I'm defintily getting the motor mounts chromed,,and anything else I get done I have to sand down and fool with which I don't feel like doin. So to start off I'm gonna give him the motor mounts which I think he said a 12 pack of beer would cover them. Maybe the rear brake pedal, oil filter cover, starter cover, maybe the side case's but I really don't feel like foolin with that crap,,just some small little detail stuff nothing big or crazy,,I want the bike to look good but I don't want it like the rap daddy bike,,to were it's too pretty to get dirty,,no what I mean. I might just get the motor mounts and that's it. I am gonna get the subframe powder coated red though to match my a-arms and soon to have red swingarm..I still can't believe I didn't snap my swingarm on my little insident I had last weekend...I thought the swingarm would break before I bent the nerfbars.

trx400ex
11-14-2001, 02:46 PM
do you think i should do the frame, i really dont feel like takin it that far apart, but i dont know what collors whould look good with the stock frame? any ideas? im gonna try to find out on the chroming, and i want the brake lever the pegs and the cases and motor mounts done, it doesnt take that long to get the covers off either

400exRacerX
11-14-2001, 06:54 PM
Rico, How much you think it would cost me to get my sub frame chromed?

crday98
11-14-2001, 10:40 PM
i had seen a frame that was chromed black-chrome.man it looked sweet.:blah

11-15-2001, 06:58 AM
My buddy said he would charge me $150 to do my subframe but that handing the subframe over as is. If I got it blasted down to bare metal it would be cheaper,,but I don't have a blaster or anything to do it with so I told him he could go jump off a bridge for that amount..

11-15-2001, 07:49 PM
Do you guys think if I had the stock headpipe chromed it would blue or discolor? Just wondering cause I might have it done. And would the chrome also go on the inside of the pipe making the inside diameter smaller or clog the inside up some?

400exRacerX
11-15-2001, 08:12 PM
I think its a waste of money to chrome the stock headpipe, they won't warrenty any type of chroming from turning blue or flaking.

11-15-2001, 08:42 PM
I just finished putting my 400 back together after powdercoating the frame and subframe black- that was $120 , had my swing arm polished - $100 . I chrome plated the steering stem a-arms,shift lever,brake lever,all three caliper mounts,all the fender braces and every nut and bolt -$250. every thing else on the chassis was polished . The engine is next probably later than sooner I want to ride the damn thing.

liltazz
11-15-2001, 09:52 PM
call or email jet hot coatings. they coat ed the headers on my truck, they dont blue discolor or anything. and they coat the inside and out. www.jet-hot.com