PDA

View Full Version : Who runs with out a base cylinder gasket?

metalmind342
10-06-2008, 12:56 PM
I will be rebuilding my 416 this winter, and just wondering if it would be worth it to not run the base gasket?

Do i risk any problems with the gasket being removed such as oil leaks?

Also, how much does it bump up the compression?

I am currently running an 11:1 piston.

Thanks

10-07-2008, 12:36 AM
Is that a joke?

AZ440ex
10-07-2008, 10:24 AM
Replacing the base gasket with High Temp silicone and running a thin head gasket will fix the deck height to give a true compression.

With a 416 its probably not worth trying, you most likely will not see the power gains. Also when doing this mod with gaskets or by having the head milled you need to measure the "quench" area between the piston and head. 0.040" is ideal but if you mill off too much or get a piston that is just a bit off you risk damage to the head. There is very little room for error.

It's better to keep it reliable, remember you can build an all out race motor but they require constant attention. It's more fun to ride than rebuild. Plus alot cheaper.

drew416ex
10-07-2008, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Ikilla2
Is that a joke?

You have never heard of this. I did it when I had a 416 and I also did it with my stroker. I did it for the reason that AZ440ex, to get a better quench between the piston and head. I have never had a problem with mine. If you do decide to do it, do not use too much silicon, it takes a very small amount or you could clog your oil ports.

86 Quad R
10-07-2008, 03:23 PM
lol this isnt a joking matter............. this mod has been done for years. as stated it needs to be done without error's. not only is it important not to let the squish get below minimum butis important to measure for piston to valve clearance as well. especially when using aftermarket pistons and cams. :cool:

10-08-2008, 12:21 AM
Never heard of that but now I know!