PDA

View Full Version : Can I run race gas??

08450ER
10-06-2008, 12:23 PM
Hey guys, My quad is pretty much stock. Stock internals,exhaust etc.. is it ok if I run 103 octane race gas or like a 50/50 mix. Will it hurt my engine, or will I have to jet it different.

KEVIN300A
10-06-2008, 01:06 PM
You will not gain anything by running race gas!! Your better off saving the extra money you will spend on race gas and getting a pipe, filter mods etc... just my opinion

08450ER
10-06-2008, 01:12 PM
All I am saying is, is it safe?? Will it hurt my engine if I do?? Will it make it run hot, do I risk anything if I do??? I know I wont gain any performance doing so, I just wanted to know is it safe on a stock engine???

08450ER
10-06-2008, 02:39 PM
Also which is better

Elka Steering Stablizer or Precision?

Acello
10-06-2008, 03:24 PM
You won't hurt anything by running race gas but your spending alot of extra money for nothing.

A Precision is way better than a Elka stabilizer

TWISTED
10-06-2008, 03:26 PM
The gas won't hurt a thing except for your wallet.... As far as Elka or Precision???? That's a preference thing, but I LOVE my Precision!!!!

BlaineKaiser450
10-06-2008, 04:03 PM
your fine to run race gas. When i run 104 in my stockish motor, it acctually does make it have a little more bottom end compared to 91

pro-rider46
10-06-2008, 04:20 PM
Race gas is actually safer than pump gas. First you dont get any additives filling stations add. Most race gas has lead which isnt the best for the enviroment but acts as a lubing agent. You will have less chance of detontaion(equivelent to hitting your piston with a hammer). It runs slightly cooler. In some cases it will make a very slight increase in HP because some fuels have oxygen in it and require you to rejet and this makes more power, but not very noticable. If your going to try it, make sure you know what kind your using, and see if it has oxy additives, this will affect your jetting and would cause you to run lean(very bad). any Q's please ask

CR500rider
10-06-2008, 06:56 PM
As if the $4 a gallon we are paying for pump gas isnt enuff, you wanna spend more on race gas to run in a stock engine? If its not detonating then its not necessary to run race fuel. High octane fuels burn slower and have a higher flash point than lower octane fuels. Octane does not add extra power. If an engine runs perfect on 91 it will not make more power on 104...........unless you are able to advance the timing.

08450ER
10-06-2008, 07:16 PM
There is a racetrack with 103 octane. I will let you know what additives it has. So, what high octane fuel do I need to stay away from?? Like if it says, contains this!

vAnS_77
10-06-2008, 09:15 PM
Like steve said, mainly race fuels, such as vp. They run lead which is better for your valves seats if your engine has certain specs for it. Stock engines are made to run on additive fuel, from the pump. Their valve seats are heavier to compensate for the harsh things that fuel does. So potentially you could hurt your stock engine in the long run. I would just stick premo fuel from the pump and maybe an octane booster non lead. I did alot of research on this topic it's just plain f-ing confusing. But I agree with steve.

gcart2
10-07-2008, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by TWISTED
The gas won't hurt a thing except for your wallet.... As far as Elka or Precision???? That's a preference thing, but I LOVE my Precision!!!!

ill second that. i love my precision.

08450ER
10-14-2008, 06:17 PM
ok,

Well I've done a little research about what gas I'm going to be running and I came up with

All VP fuels are available in 5- (19 liter), 15- (56 liter), 30- (113 liter) and 54-gallon (204 liter) pails and drums except where noted.

U4.2TM
The latest generation of our U4 based fuels, this fuel is a direct pour-in replacement for pump gas, with little to no jetting changes required - +2 main jets and +2 pilot jets at the most. Makes power equivalent to U4 with no sticky residue and a less pungent odor. Designed for stock and modified 2-stroke and 4-stroke applications. U4.2 passes AMA amateur fuel rules and is perfect for club level racing, CCS, WERA and AFM. U4.2 makes up to 6% more power than pump gas.

• Color: Blue
• Oxygenated: Yes
• Motor Octane: 102
• Specific Gravity: .784 at 60° F

Does this fuel seem right

vAnS_77
10-14-2008, 07:58 PM
Yes, That's what I have to run. I mix 3:1 with premo pump gas. My comp is 12:5:1 This is lead fuel beware that your valve seats on your stock 450r are made to handle pump gas. Oh yeah and its 75 bucks for 5 gallon's. If your not racing just get premo pump gas... Comon, lol. Be glad you can run it.

08450ER
10-14-2008, 08:18 PM
I know u can run prem, but with stock internals will this be ok? I want the best for it and the most power possible, what's stock compression on 450r?

BlaineKaiser450
10-14-2008, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by 08450ER
what's stock compression on 450r? 04-05: 10.5:1

06+ 12:1

vAnS_77
10-14-2008, 09:13 PM
Ok, so here it goes. When honda makes a 450r they make or for the regular user. Say your next door neighbor has a quad and farts around in his yard with it. That's the target that their atvs are still hitting. The 450r is out dated compared to any other quad now out. The engines are made to run 91 and up without hrc kits, even with those hrc kits you can run 93. The honda engine itself STOCK will have to be rebuilt every 40 or so hours when you run u4.2. The valve seats mainly will not like that lead fuel at all.....A matter of pre-detonating is not an issue with a stock 450r not matter what the gear. Honda makes them for what every average joe can get. JUST RUN PUMP GAS IF YOUR MOTOR IS STOCK. ITS BETTER FOR IT PERIOD.

pro-rider46
10-14-2008, 10:00 PM
vans_77, your off by a little, the lead is better for valve seats, its like a lube for them. on old cars they needed lube for the soft seats, and unleaded kills the seats, now all unleaded engines can run fine on both, and better on leaded.

08450ER, you should save your money, it may be a safer fuel, but it doesnt protect everything in the bottom end, and it will blow its bottom end eventually whether u run this fuel or not, you will have enough money to rebuild the motor from the money you saved by not running it.

also vans, 12.5:1 is still pump friendly on a 450, but that close you wont have a worry about det with race fuel, i ran 12.5:1 on pump just fine...

just my 2 cents

86250rrider
10-14-2008, 10:40 PM
I USE A PRECISION AND ITS GREAT

as for the race gas thing.........

vp in the cans is sooooooooo overpriced its unreal !!!

i will pay for turbo blue for my 250r because it needs it .

thats part of the reason i like the 450r ...pump gas.

its true there is a tiny bit extra crispness when running race fuel but its not worth the money .

stop being ricky racer and fill it up from the pump.plus your not even built.just send me the money and tell your buddies its rocket fuel your running!

:chinese: :chinese:

vAnS_77
10-14-2008, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by pro-rider46
vans_77, your off by a little, the lead is better for valve seats, its like a lube for them. on old cars they needed lube for the soft seats, and unleaded kills the seats, now all unleaded engines can run fine on both, and better on leaded.

08450ER, you should save your money, it may be a safer fuel, but it doesnt protect everything in the bottom end, and it will blow its bottom end eventually whether u run this fuel or not, you will have enough money to rebuild the motor from the money you saved by not running it.

also vans, 12.5:1 is still pump friendly on a 450, but that close you wont have a worry about det with race fuel, i ran 12.5:1 on pump just fine...

just my 2 cents

Ya I totally get what you were saying. I tried to say that the vavle seats on the engines now are made for add. fuel such as unleaded. Idk, i did some research and thats what I came up with. Leaded in engines that are made for unleaded is bad. So many people with different opinions or articles bais. It's hard to pick out some good engine facts on the net. I'm not too good with my engine talk. :rolleyes: 12:5:1 is my comp but I guess my motor had around acouple thousands in engine work when I bought it. I havn't saw the inside of the engine so I don't know yet.

baker400ex
10-15-2008, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by 08450ER
ok,

Well I've done a little research about what gas I'm going to be running and I came up with

All VP fuels are available in 5- (19 liter), 15- (56 liter), 30- (113 liter) and 54-gallon (204 liter) pails and drums except where noted.

U4.2TM
The latest generation of our U4 based fuels, this fuel is a direct pour-in replacement for pump gas, with little to no jetting changes required - +2 main jets and +2 pilot jets at the most. Makes power equivalent to U4 with no sticky residue and a less pungent odor. Designed for stock and modified 2-stroke and 4-stroke applications. U4.2 passes AMA amateur fuel rules and is perfect for club level racing, CCS, WERA and AFM. U4.2 makes up to 6% more power than pump gas.

• Color: Blue
• Oxygenated: Yes
• Motor Octane: 102
• Specific Gravity: .784 at 60° F

Does this fuel seem right

Ive run U4 when my motor was stock.just a pipe and it made world of difference on the bottom end. i had a curtis sparks jet kit and didnt need to touch the jets

pro-rider46
10-15-2008, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by vAnS_77
Ya I totally get what you were saying. I tried to say that the vavle seats on the engines now are made for add. fuel such as unleaded. Idk, i did some research and thats what I came up with. Leaded in engines that are made for unleaded is bad. So many people with different opinions or articles bais. It's hard to pick out some good engine facts on the net. I'm not too good with my engine talk. :rolleyes: 12:5:1 is my comp but I guess my motor had around acouple thousands in engine work when I bought it. I havn't saw the inside of the engine so I don't know yet.

its reversed still, its okay to run leaded in a unleaded motor, its actually better, thats the reason its in there, its also like a cooling agent.

and if your unsure whats done internally, your doing good by running race fuel, especially with thousands in the motor.