PDA

View Full Version : Edelbroc Carb...

Ryan
12-10-2002, 07:45 PM
I heard alot of good things about these new carbs and how you don't have to rejet them. Anyone have one of these or heard any troubleshooting on them?
Thanks

RED121572
12-13-2002, 02:04 PM
Ive been considering one for over a year now. The only trouble that Im aware of is that the price of the carb is salty and it is difficult to get one.

Maryland 400EX
12-13-2002, 02:10 PM
Rejetting is fun! It feels good to dial that baby in to the point where the plugs are mouse gray, the throttle response is spot on and the front wheel points to the sky!

Ryan
12-13-2002, 03:00 PM
I think it would be better if you didn't have to bother with it . just one less problem. But that price kinda made my head turn away. 500 for a carb. Holy shiet. :huh

F-16Guy
12-13-2002, 03:11 PM
How is it that I can buy a brand new four-barrel Edelbrock for a 350 chevy for $250, but those *********s want $500 for a dinky little ATV carb???!!!!:huh

Can you say PRICE GOUGING???

JhallettEX
12-13-2002, 04:30 PM
Ive got a 39MM FCR for sale, alot better race carb.

JustRace
12-13-2002, 04:59 PM
Look around, you can find the edelbrock carbs for around 400 dollars. I saw that price on a ad in dirtwheels.

4Wheels
12-13-2002, 06:19 PM
rejeeting is not neccesary on the edlebrock carb at all?...
If so hos does it work
JZ

Ryan
12-13-2002, 06:59 PM
I don't know how it works. And last time I checked it was about 475 or something. The price probably dropped since I have seen it. It looks like a good carb though.

12-13-2002, 07:08 PM
get a lectron carb from tc racing.. great carb for only 280 dollars

AtvRider21
12-13-2002, 07:28 PM
well i have one and insalled it wrong but when my dealerdid it right maan what a power and speed gain by itself lol it sweet

stupid driver
12-13-2002, 09:37 PM
they work by adjusting a screw that makes the hole that the fuel goes thru bigger or smaller i think.

JustRace
12-13-2002, 10:25 PM
There is a little bolt on top of the carb. You remove the bolt and install the metering tool. You turn it to the right to enrich the throttle from idle to half, and then left to lean it out from idle to half. Then the carb comes with 2 other needles that you can put in to adjust the air/fuel mixture from half to wot. Its that simple.

If you go with the thumb throttle carb you have to grind out the housing so that you can achieve full throttle. If you go with the twist carb you just have to hook everything up. I love the edelbrock twist throttle.

I love my carb, even though I paid 490 for it because I got it through my dealer. I wouldn't go with anything else for what I want. Simple to use, makes the most low end power, and the most torque out of the other carbs.

The lectron carb is set up like the edelbrock, I believe. It does not have the accelerator pump and it makes about 1-2hp less low end horsepower than the stock carb. I also believe that the cab looks cheap. It does however make more hp than any other carb.

JustRace
12-13-2002, 10:41 PM
All this info is out of the January 2002, ATV Action. So I'm quoting them. I'm going to copy it word for word, it should help some of you out.
__________________________________________________ __

This is done on mid range CT440 motor. Hp with stock carb was 40.8 @ 7600 RPM's
Edelbrock Qwicksilver
Dyno Peak 42.8 @ 7700rpm
Accelerator pump: Yes
Price: Between 390 and 420
The Chart
The smaller of the two carbs features a 34mm wide by 38mm tall bore. As you can see on the chart, when it hits its peak, it puts out exactly 2 more horespower than the stock carb. The carb keeps up with all the other carbs up until the 6000rpm range then it starts to fall off power. Again, since the #3004 is slightly smaller than some of the other carbs, tested it inherently falls off power more quickly. By 7100rpm it produces the lowest power output of the aftermarket carbs, and stays at the low end of the sprectrum until all the other carbs start to sign off midway between 8000 and 9000 rpm.
One unique feature found on the edelbrock carb is that you don't have to dissasemble it to change your needle setting. A knob on top of the carb that you turn by hand changes the settings. The edelbrock carb was by far the cleanest looking unit of the bunch. It looks like a chiseled piece of art work thanks to its forged casings.

JustRace
12-13-2002, 10:46 PM
KEIHIN 41MM FCR
Dyno Peak: 43.5 @ 7800rpm
Accelerator pump: Yes
Price: 470
The keihin 41mm FCR proved to be the best overall performing carb of the group. It also rated higher than the others because it fits so well, has good overall finish, provides a good tuneability, and basically, it carburets well. As for how it rates on the chart, you'll see that its power output rates well at low rpm, but starts building srong power throughout the midrange (6000 to 8000rpm). It hits almost the identical peak power to the lectron carb but at a lower rpm. Overall its the strongest running carb.

JustRace
12-13-2002, 10:51 PM
KEIHIN 39MM FCR
Dyno Peak: 43.2 @ 7800rpm
Acclerator pump: yes
Price: 470
The keihin 39mm FCR is in line with the other carbs as far as producing power down low, but can't keep up with the larger 41mm FCR beyond 5000rpm. It also starts to fall off very sharply around 8000rpm while the other aftermarket carbs produce slightly more power. Still, it produces more power than the lectron until 7300rpm, and produces more power than the edelbrock from 6000 to 8500rpm. It's a good carb, but the larger 41mm FCR is superior throughout the rpm range in terms of producing more power.

JustRace
12-13-2002, 11:01 PM
LECTRON 38MM
Dyno peak: 43.6 @ 8000rpm
Accelerator pump: no
Price: 269
The lectron 38mm carb provided the highest overall horsepower output of the group. Power output is noticeabley lower on the bottom of the rpm curve when compared to all the other carbs---even the stocker! Where the Lectron shines, though, is when it starts building its peak power about the others around 6500rpm. It also stays strong between 8000 and 9000rpm than any of the others, and is signifiantly stronger than all the others on overrev (between 9000 and 10000 rpm). The lectron 38mm carb shifts the engine's powerband over to produce max power at higher rpm range. Unfortunately, it doesn't produce enough extra power at high rpm range to make it a good enough trade off for the loss of power down low. On the dyno, the lectron only produces one tenth more power than the keihin 41mm FCR. Also, the lectron is the only carb in the group without and accelerator pump, and we found that to get it started we had to pump the throttle eight to ten times to get the machine to fire up.

Maryland 400EX
12-14-2002, 06:16 AM
Very good info Just Race. Hopefully this will aid other EX Riders in their quest for more horsepower and prevent arguments over this carb and that carb. However, this was done with a 440 motor which everyone doesn't have but still I'm happy to have read this. Boy, a lot of horsepower freaks (Like me) are going to wish they had bought the 41MM once they go 440! Hmmm... These aftermarket carbs do work, huh...Nearly a 3 HP increase in peak power is pretty good. According to Carb. Parts Warehouse the 39MM gives a 18 to 22% increase. This (6HP)must be through the midrange. I'm sure the 39MM is still a good choice for stock bore motors.

badass_banshee
12-14-2002, 06:43 AM
i got an edelbrock carb on my 79 camaro motor sitting in my tuck right now if it has electric choke ohhh its nice just give her a little gas and she cranks right over with out electric coke it can be a pain in the arse but i love them carbs this will be my 4th one out of everything i own. I love edelbrock

JustRace
12-14-2002, 11:14 AM
Looking at the graph that came along with the article the edelbrock carb out performs all the other carbs to about 6000rpm's. Also the edelbrock carb is the only one that makes more hp than the stock carb till about 5000rpm's, when the others catch up.

I was just hoping that the info could stop some of the arguing. In the long run just get what you will be happy with. This was a true shootout and they didn't care about the price tag when doing the shootout.

I love my carb, but I won't diss any other carbs since I haven't tired them.

GoLikeHell
12-14-2002, 11:56 AM
I have a Edelbrock carb FS, its basically brand new!! Not even a gallon of gas run through it. Great carb for piped or over bore bikes, you will see great gains.

Reason for getting rid of it is I am in the process of changing my bike to EFI. 350.00 or BO shipped to the lower 48 states!

Mark

d-14 rider 27
12-14-2002, 01:20 PM
i would go with a fcr, i have one on my 465ex the 39mm works great on the 440s, bit if id known my crank was gonna fry, and id turn it into a 465 i woulda gone with the 41, it still is crazy fast. all the 426's and 450's come with the fcr stock. and a lot of road racing teams use it on their bikes. it must be a good carb then. i havent heard anything bad about the edelbrock, but sparks told me the fcr is a much better power gain, baldwin said the same thing, i dunno, they're the pros so i will listen to them.

Steve-o 400EX
12-14-2002, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by F-16Guy
How is it that I can buy a brand new four-barrel Edelbrock for a 350 chevy for $250, but those *********s want $500 for a dinky little ATV carb???!!!!:huh

Can you say PRICE GOUGING???

I agree totally!:o

frogburner
12-16-2002, 05:33 PM
How Bad is it to grind the housing for WOT

jb400exxx
12-16-2002, 06:31 PM
this should go in the FAQ! it's a good guide for people wanting to get an aftermarket carb.