PDA

View Full Version : hmf exhaust opinions

outlawtaylor500
10-06-2008, 06:21 AM
hey so im new to the forum and i just bought an 07 outlaw 500 about a month ago and want to give it a little more power, so ive decided on a k&n with a dynojet kit and hmf exhaust but i cant decide which to do. Im trying to decide between the sport slip on or the ballance slip on, im looking for something not too loud but has a good sound (my neighbor has a honda 400ex and i enjoy seeing the look on his face everytime the outlaw is at my house :) ).

montycarlo
10-06-2008, 06:59 AM
I personally don't think the Ballance slip-ons look good on the Outlaws; our man is Yokely now! :D :D :D If you're concerned about noise the HMF has a quiet version that will definitely improve grunt.

outlawtaylor500
10-06-2008, 07:34 AM
thanks for the input, im not so much worried about noise i just dont want it to be ear bleeding loud, im more worried abut the overall sound if the ballance sounds better than the sport ill buy that. i agree ive seen one on an outlaw and i didnt care for the looks but if i sounds good and makes power ill get one.

montycarlo
10-06-2008, 10:07 PM
If you're not worried about the loudness of the sound, those oval bodied HMF's sound awesome.

Colby@C&DRacing
10-07-2008, 08:04 AM
I use the eliptical slipon on my MXR 450. It has a pretty desent sound. The HP gains were minimal 2HP on our dyno.

grantmi
10-07-2008, 01:55 PM
Colby,

How does the Outlaw compare (hp) to Dusty's modified 450R??

Thanks

Colby@C&DRacing
10-08-2008, 07:57 AM
The mxr 450 makes about 40 rear wheel HP on our dyno and most of our honda 450s with mild mods are around 45 rear wheel HP. You can really tell the honda has more torgue when coming out of the woods into an open field. When I reveive my 09 models from polaris I will try a different exhaust sytem I think this is where a lot of my HP is missing.

OutlawBill
10-08-2008, 08:13 PM
MXR 450 air box is too small to make any power.

Colby@C&DRacing
10-09-2008, 08:06 AM
We don't use teh stock air box. I run the clamp on filter on the carb. This gained us a little but not as much as I was hoping.

OutlawBill
10-09-2008, 08:17 AM
how about one of the KFX450 air box with a side mount pipe. With the smooth tapered intake tube from the larger air filter to to carb should increases the air velocity to the carb

sheriff525
10-09-2008, 10:40 PM
You should get the CT pipe! Check out the group buy!

montycarlo
10-10-2008, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by OutlawBill
how about one of the KFX450 air box with a side mount pipe. With the smooth tapered intake tube from the larger air filter to to carb should increases the air velocity to the carb

I was wondering about this too

montycarlo
10-12-2008, 09:31 PM
I lined up next to a 525xc KTM today, took minute to look his stuff over. First thing that I noticed was that his oil fill cap was accessible, where mine is buried under pipe on the MXR. Then I noticed that his pipe (stock exhast) was bent a lot more horizontal and straigter where the polaris pipe seems to bend unneccesarily low in the area of the RF engine mount plate. Also seemed to be a bigger diameter pipe. It's possible that a good aftermarket pipe may help?

I'm not saying I need any more power, this thing is phenomenal.

2old2race
10-13-2008, 08:12 AM
This is something I am looking to do in the near future too.
For me it is #1 about sound. I want a better, throaty sound. The stock pipe actually sounds pretty decent. But, it is no aftermarket silencer, that is for sure.
HMF seems to be the way I want to go, but which one? They have around 6 I believe. I was thinking of just going with the sport since it is only around $200. I am not changing the headpipe, as I was told this makes no big difference.

What jetting change and air filter works best with a Fuji powered Outlaw? Besides sound, the second biggest thing to me is NOT losing any of the lower end. I want to maintain my low end and actually build torque more so than horsepower. Any top end speed is a plus, but I don't want to wait for the power to hit, I want it to be there from the start.

My Outlaw dealership really knows nothing about aftermarket parts and my performance shops are a bit in the dark with the Outlaws.

Any exact specs will be much appreciated.

Outlaw6;=-
10-13-2008, 12:05 PM
i went with just the sport because somebody who went with the balance pipe removed the torque range modifier because it made his bike run like ****. Anyways my buddy has a 660 raptor with a fmf pipe lots of motor work done and my bike is just as load as his. So for more torque off the start i would suggest change the front sprocket to a 13 tooth my bike still does 65 mph which is more then fast enough in the trails. I also am using the k&n filter with the lid still on because of all the mud in my area.

2old2race
10-13-2008, 12:46 PM
Did you need to rejet?
I too agree with running with the lid on. Is K&N the best filter to go with? I have heard mixed reviews. I had a K&N with an Outerwears on my EX though with no problems.

Also, did you notice a difference from just the silencer itself? Or, is sound the biggest change? ...Which is not all that bad.

I see on ebay someone selling HMF Sports for just over $200. That seems pretty decent!

katch26
10-13-2008, 03:35 PM
I dont see how the trm could have much effect on how the bike runs but thats JMO. I have the ballance and love it but it is very loud. The sport would do just fine and a slip on is all you really need.

Outlaw6;=-
10-13-2008, 03:43 PM
I ordered the exhaust without the silencer and not only did it sound so much better then the factory exhaust, the power it gained was very noticeable.
i have had no problems with the k&n filter at all.
Yes i had to rejet the carb.My alt is roughly 600 to 1000ft. I turned the fuel mixture screw out 1/2 turn..never touched the needle and went to a 165 main jet. I stayed with mikuni jets.
If anybody has went from mikuni to a dynajet kit and has seen a dif in performance please post.

2old2race
10-13-2008, 05:46 PM
Umm...what is a trm?

Originally posted by katch26
I dont see how the trm could have much effect on how the bike runs but thats JMO. I have the ballance and love it but it is very loud. The sport would do just fine and a slip on is all you really need.

Outlaw6;=-
10-13-2008, 09:16 PM
Torque range modifier that comes with the hmf ballance pipe. It broadens the torque range .

2old2race
10-14-2008, 05:22 AM
Oh, i see.
So, sport pipe without it is just as fine?

Originally posted by Outlaw6;=-
Torque range modifier that comes with the hmf ballance pipe. It broadens the torque range .

Outlaw6;=-
10-14-2008, 10:45 AM
i believe they would be the same pipe without the trm.

bossman525
10-14-2008, 11:27 AM
first of all, drop a tooth on your front sprocket, coming off of a predator 500 they dont have alot of low end muscle, top end there great. go with a k@n filter also. i just put a hmf sport slip on my 525 and i love it. when i had my predator, i had a yoshi slip on and with a direct mount k&n i ran a 180 main, but mostly i ran with the air box on with a k&n and ran a 170 main never touched the needle. and that is at around 600ft . the best way to gain better low end for the fuji motor is to go down a tooth on the front sprocket. you'll lose top end speed but who needs to go 73mph on trails. yes, the sport slip on is a great pipe

2old2race
10-14-2008, 05:08 PM
O.K., excuse my ignorance...are you saying a 170 or a 180 main then?
I ordered an HMF Sport for $225 and a K&N filter for $45. Pretty good prices, I thought. I did not get the noise reducer. lol
They are sending me the main jet HMF recommends using which confuses me since everyone lives at different elevations and with different set ups. How would they know?

I lastly bought a 13 tooth front sprocket.

Can't wait to see what difference this all makes!!!!! :devil:

sheriff525
10-14-2008, 07:31 PM
Just to give an example of just what the sprocket will do. My dad put a 13 on his 525. Mine is a 14 on my 525. I can pull wheelies really easy in 4th gear on his while I have a hard time on mine in 3rd gear.

The hit is awesome. I got a 13 tooth on my Christmas list.

Outlaw6;=-
10-15-2008, 01:59 AM
Bossman used a 180 with the air lid off and a 170 with the air lid on . Here this should help u on setting ur carb. http://www.predatorowners.com/index.cfm?action=thread&catid=99&topid=574&thrid=45985

2old2race
10-22-2008, 05:29 AM
I forgot we were discussing this in here already= swiss cheese memory. :rolleyes:
I am assuming being in Washington the altitude is a bit higher than myself in PA.

Outlaw, you said you run a 165 with the air mix screw out 1/2 turns.

I guess I will try this being as how I live at 600 altitude and if anything usuaully end up riding at higher elevations.

Just looking for the quick fix. This Saturday is install time- right before we go to ride that is. lol