PDA

View Full Version : KFX 400 wont start

bighause
10-05-2008, 05:24 PM
I recently bought an 06 KFX and it ran fine the first trip out, second trip it was cutting out at full throttle, and last trip it ran ok but was still cutting out at full throttle, then it died and wont start at all. (This is all over the course of 3 weeks)

I completely disassembled and cleaned the carb thinking that was it. I replaced the spark plug and it's getting spark, still no start though. I tried push starting it but that doesn't work either.

Any ideas? I was going to check the valves, but I dont know how, it there a how to anywhere on the web?

I don't have a manual yet, and I know I need to get one.

jonboy
10-05-2008, 08:54 PM
Thats were you need to start. Yes it does sound like your valves need to be re-shimmed.

;)

bighause
10-07-2008, 06:36 PM
I knew someone would post about the manual!

The only how to I have found is for a 400ex, is there one for the KAwi/Suzi?

KAWIRYDER
10-07-2008, 07:14 PM
I once had my choke lever stick on just a little bit and it did exactly what your saying. Just an idea, hope you figure it out. Also check ebay for a manual.

airmobile101
10-08-2008, 06:33 AM
Yea, I would definately check that choke cable to make sure it moves freely. I recently aquired a 2003 Z400 and it was doing the same thing. Come to find out, the damn choke cable was frozen open in the choke position. Try that before you start checking the valves.

bighause
10-08-2008, 07:14 PM
I wish it was the choke but in the process of removing and cleaning the carb, I checked that and it works fine.

It's weird because it went from running pretty good other than cutting out sometimes at full throttle to now it wont even try to start. Hopefully the motor isn't shot:rolleyes:

airmobile101
10-09-2008, 03:22 AM
Try doing a compression check. Have the throttle in the WOT position. Or,Try starting it for 5 min. or so. Then pull the plug to see if its wet. Its probably the valve clearances, but those things mentioned above will save yea from ripping that valve cover off.
Let us know.;)

airmobile101
10-09-2008, 03:34 AM
Heres a link for a manual. Its for the Z400. Its the same bike minus the color:D

http://www.themotorbookstore.com/1599690861.html