PDA

View Full Version : !!!Leaking gear oil!!!!!

FL-R
10-05-2008, 05:02 PM
I change the fluid in the bottom end and when I refilled it i filled it till it came out the oil level bolt, and I added alittle extra. Whent riding today and noticed it was leaking back around the back of the motor by the swing arm, right were the swingarm almost touches the case. it was really wet their, it leaked for about half the day little by little then it stoped. Did I just over fill it or do yall think their might be a hole were the swing arm is, their is alittle bit of room between the 2. I put about 3/4 of a quart in it. Any body

mfr422
10-05-2008, 05:49 PM
fl-r,
I had one that did that very thing, I was running an 86 swingarm on my 88 and the spacer rubbed a hole in my cases. A little jb weld fixed the problem until I could get them welded up. Are you sure it wasn't coming out of your vent? fluid will run down the back in that area if you don't have a hose on it. You should check it regardless because you don't want dirt and water in your transmission if there is a hole. Roost On!!!!

FL-R
10-06-2008, 02:28 PM
my bike is a 86 with a I beleive a 88-89 RPM swing arm

regg187
10-07-2008, 01:14 PM
pretty sure it must be oming out the vent tube. already oming out the full hole and add more. too muh oil let some out till it is just dripping out the full level bolt hole

86 Quad R
10-07-2008, 01:46 PM
there may be something else going on. for years i have filled all of my engines until it starts running from the "fill hole" and added a bit more, usually about 3/4's a quart and havent had it to pour from the vent tube. :cool:

FL-R
10-07-2008, 02:38 PM
how much oil is the bottom end supose to hold (factory specs) anybody know

86 Quad R
10-07-2008, 02:45 PM
.63 us quart or about 5/8

FL-R
10-10-2008, 05:09 PM
washed the bike and looked closer at the rear of the case and you could see a hole forming on the back of the case, Im prob just gunna pull the swing arm and JB weld it for now, until the next time i havet oull the motor then Ill take myTIG and weld it up. Thanks