PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki Ad on main page

trick250r
10-05-2008, 02:04 PM
does this pop up for anybody else when they get to the home page? its a big suzuki ad that takes up almost the whole screen. my pop up blocker is on and it still comes up... i hit block content and it blocks everything on the website. i know its supposed to be a marketing strategy but now everytime i see suzuki i get pissed off. moderators, is there anything we can do about this?

powermadd400ex
10-05-2008, 02:25 PM
x2 there isnt even an "ignore this ad" button

Honda10
10-05-2008, 02:28 PM
yeah it makes me so mad, I am tired of seeing that guys face.

Ruby Soho
10-05-2008, 02:32 PM
all i do is hit the home button on my browser and when it reloads its gone..

mooseracerX
10-05-2008, 02:42 PM
Is this the website?
http://www.suzuki.com/index_flash.php
I don't have a problem on Firefox :p

mineralgrey01gt
10-05-2008, 03:37 PM
that is the reason I skip the main page all together. Just type in www.exriders.com/vbb

that brings you right to the forums

mooseracerX
10-05-2008, 04:07 PM
Oh, I see ATV Riders main page. Yeah that's annoying.

XCRacer236
10-05-2008, 06:09 PM
yeah i just open the browser and hit home and its gone.

ZeroLogic
10-05-2008, 06:24 PM
You do know there is a ex on the top of the box right?

10-05-2008, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic
You do know there is a ex on the top of the box right?

Not for me.

Suzuki = fail.

BlaineKaiser450
10-05-2008, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by nofearrider1
Not for me.

Suzuki = fail. definatly

trick250r
10-05-2008, 09:13 PM
yeah... i looked for like 5 minutes one day thinking these *******s always put a close this ad button but there isnt one. i started to go straight to the forums but i still like to check the main page for news and schtuff... just sucks that i have to go to the forums THEN to the home page.

c450Razy
10-05-2008, 10:48 PM
yea i thought it was the general concenis on the site that they wernt going to do ad's like this on here anymore, guess we were lied to.. lol

Pappy
10-05-2008, 11:22 PM
We do not put the ads there, the advertiser does and they were asked NOT to do this again. For most there is an X to close the window immediatley, for others there seems to be not one.....it depends on what browser you use I suppose.

If we did it to screw with you, it wouldnt be a simple banner ad...but its nice to see something like this is the cause for such a derailment of your lives

400ex28
10-05-2008, 11:26 PM
I never go to the homepage anways, I always type in exriders.com/vbb.

brian76708
10-05-2008, 11:29 PM
wont be so funny when people stop going here do to issues like that pappy haha just kidding

Pappy
10-05-2008, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by brian76708
wont be so funny when people stop going here do to issues like that pappy haha just kidding

geez, we might loose a few that complain and whine....I geuss we will have to take our chances;)

quadracer707
10-06-2008, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by trick250r
does this pop up for anybody else when they get to the home page? its a big suzuki ad that takes up almost the whole screen. my pop up blocker is on and it still comes up... i hit block content and it blocks everything on the website. i know its supposed to be a marketing strategy but now everytime i see suzuki i get pissed off. moderators, is there anything we can do about this?

Ya, pay to keep this site up:D Remember this costs us absolutely nothing to get info & keep in touch. That means FREE. How many you whiney guys helped buy stuff from the sponsors, how many of you bought & sold items again for FREE??
This is not run for free, it is a buisness behind the scenes. Iam in buisness to and it takes alot to keep this going. Iam just suprised it took this long for people to start *****ing.
Support the people who support you or go somewhere else:macho

Ken

flyboy62
10-06-2008, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by mineralgrey01gt
that is the reason I skip the main page all together. Just type in www.exriders.com/vbb

that brings you right to the forums
yea i just put that as my home page

Wired
10-06-2008, 05:26 PM
WORST AD EVER!!!!!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/79/The_Simpsons-Jeff_Albertson.png/222px-The_Simpsons-Jeff_Albertson.png

klutch
10-06-2008, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by 400ex28
I never go to the homepage anways, I always type in exriders.com/vbb.

X2

Rip_Tear
10-06-2008, 05:45 PM
I wasn't going to reply or make any comment about this but...

I use to visit the home page because I thought well it helps with the views for ads and to get some of the info. But I will no longer be viewing the home page anymore and have linked directly to the forums.

It's all well to say that they were asked not to put ads like that up but they obviously didn't get the hint. It will affect the amount of people on the site, whether all this info is free to us or not there are enough ads on the page with out that one.

Sorry for the rant, but I don't come here to look at ads, and if we don't voice it who knows what's next.

trick250r
10-07-2008, 08:46 PM
wow... seriously? the first time in like 4 years i complain about one thing and all of a sudden im a whiner? did i post saying im mad because people ask what would win in a race? no... i asked two simple questions. does it happen for anybody else and is there anything that can be done about it. did i say the site was **** for having this? no, i said that i was suprised that an advertiser would even think about doing that. :rolleyes:

Pappy
10-07-2008, 08:52 PM
The last time this type of ad ran we saw people crying about it just like now, except that most understand fully that the ad's pay the bills to keep the site rolling. Follow Van Wilders advice and enjoy what you can in life, its to short to blow a vein over a crappy ad.

And im sure I can find some complianing in anyones time on here..lmao

Pappy
10-07-2008, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Rip_Tear

Sorry for the rant, but I don't come here to look at ads, and if we don't voice it who knows what's next.

Hey, just refuse to pay your monthly atvriders.com bill, that will really show them!

Pappy
10-07-2008, 09:11 PM
And for the record, why in the world you people that dislike something dont just email the main guy that is the end all and be all of this stuff with an honest complaint is beyond me. He may not respond but he will read it!

webmaster@atvriders.com

Go to the root source and level your charge, that way the rest of us dont have to listen to it. The forums have almost ZERO to do with the home page, but the forums seem to catch 99.9% of the *****ing. If the owner of this site hears directly from you he may do something, but I can garuntee he wont even see this thread if it isnt sent to him so your pissing uphill! Bust his balls, tell him I sent you:devil:

FHKracingZ
10-07-2008, 09:33 PM
Quit your crying you babies.. I say leave it up there..

Theres a reason this is the best, most reliable atv forum ever...

Exspensive and reliable server slots and host are not cheap..

Enjoy the ad, and the FREE forum and quit your crying.

brian76708
10-07-2008, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by FHKracingZ

X2

trick250r
10-07-2008, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by FHKracingZ

ok lets say i have an ad on the main page... i paid my money for people to see it, not for a suzuki ad to cover mine up. and are you all so ****ing stupid that you cant read the text in front of you?

"i asked two simple questions. does it happen for anybody else and is there anything that can be done about it." whether or not it happens to anybody else is not a question i should be asking the site owner and when i asked the moderators, i figured it would help keep things off of the admins plate. not one word of that was whining... simply a question. instead of an intellectual answer we get a smartass comment.

trick250r
10-07-2008, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
The last time this type of ad ran we saw people crying about it just like now, except that most understand fully that the ad's pay the bills to keep the site rolling. Follow Van Wilders advice and enjoy what you can in life, its to short to blow a vein over a crappy ad.

And im sure I can find some complianing in anyones time on here..lmao

if i recall, i wasnt blowing a vein over a crappy ad. i asked two questons about the crappy ad. im blowing a vein about coming to a site where i respect the opinion of everyone and having a big deal made about me whining. and with all due respect, please find one post ive made on here "whining" about this site... if theres one thing i make sure to do here is simply offer my input for others to read... not input on how to run the site.

Pappy
10-07-2008, 10:11 PM
I see I called it dead money with blowing a vein....

Look cheif, deal with it. I dont know anyone who likes any type of pop up and in this case, most have no problems selecting the small X in the upper left corner before it opens(could very well be your settings on your screen as the tech heads have informed me). It also is supposed to only open 1 time per day as you visit the homepage. If this isnt happening for you (works for me) then take my advice and send the site owner an email.

As far as the mods, we have enough to do without dealing with *****ing about the homepage, wether we are refering to you or others.

As far as being intellectual...

yeah... i looked for like 5 minutes one day thinking these *******s always put a close this ad button but there isnt one."

You dropped off the decency radar right there.

Take my advice, send an email.

wilkin250r
10-09-2008, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by c450Razy
yea i thought it was the general concenis on the site that they wernt going to do ad's like this on here anymore, guess we were lied to.. lol

Let's get the facts straight, not only for the author of this message, but to everybody that shares his point of view.

First off, there is no "general consensus on the site". It's not run by commitee. The Admin does indeed take members opinions into consideration, but in the end, it's his decision alone.

And second, it wasn't that they "weren't going to do ad's like this". There was no sort of official decree that it would never happen again, you were never "lied to". All that was said was that the Admin would consider not allowing this type of advertisement. That's a consideration, not a guarentee.

Now, it is entirely possible that the Admin will ask the ad to be removed or changed. But let's make no mistake, if he chooses to allow it, that's entirely his prerogative, he never made any promises.

If you're not paying the bills, somebody has to. Like Pappy said, deal with it.

hasbeenttduner
10-09-2008, 08:38 AM
The strange thing about the ad is that on my home desktop I can click on the X in the top right corner and it"s gone.On my work desktop I am stuck.Some of you may only visit the forums but one great thing about atvriders is the front page industry/sport info.Race reports,photos etc.Good stuff to surf through now and then.Any advice for the owners of the site would just be to ask the advertiser to make sure there was always a close ad tab and that would show more hits then having a few run from the home page.I normally visit this sites home page more then the forums myself and feel they do a very good job with it.There are others that do good as well but you would have to say that the atvriders front page is one of if not the best on the net for our sport.

hornetgod13
10-11-2008, 11:26 AM
I'd like to know how much money that adverisement generated. There are tons of advertisements posted here.

How much does it take to run a site like this? I could be wrong but, I think this site could be making money.

Normally I agree with you Pappy but, not on this topic. The thousands of members on this site are what the advertisors are trying to reach. Labeling those that voice thier opinions as whiners or cryers is a bad call.

I donated money to help out the site and I'm labeled as a "patron". I feel as if my opinion should matter.

I aggree that it's annoying to have pop ups and I avoid them at all cost.

coryatver
10-11-2008, 04:03 PM
the pop up is now taking over threads. It covers up the top so i can't click to go on to the next page. The people that design these ads should rethink that design I think they are getting the opposite results they are going for by running this type of ad

Pappy
10-11-2008, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by hornetgod13

Normally I agree with you Pappy but, not on this topic. The thousands of members on this site are what the advertisors are trying to reach. Labeling those that voice thier opinions as whiners or cryers is a bad call.

I donated money to help out the site and I'm labeled as a "patron". I feel as if my opinion should matter.

You're free to disagree all you like, but the fact remains its an issue for the Administrator not for the moderators who work the forums. Send the email!!! I dont like them any better then anyone else, but complaining to the wrong people will get nothing done.

Your patron money helps, but it in no way buys you(anyone) the right to bring turmoil and angst to the forums which we as moderators are forced to deal with. I've already told the site owner to stuff these ad's in the past and not more then 2 minutes ago I told him once again, but his hands are pretty much tied and has to deal with it on a higher level for the next round of advertisements.

If there is a forum issue, bring it to the mods, if its a homepage issue it goes to the Admin. And Cory, I suffered the same problem with the forum ad which is what prompted my call to voice my displeasure since it affected the forum.