PDA

View Full Version : 400 EX cam chains

outlaw319
12-10-2002, 07:09 PM
i went to set my buddies valves the other day since he was having problems starting it. And since he never had this done since it was new, i figured it was his problem. Well when i set it on TDC (yes the compression stroke) one exhaust valve was tight! so i figured here's the problem with it being hard to start, it was losing comp cause the valve was opened a bit. So i set the valves to spec and started it up and it then had a tapping noise.
so to make a long story short, i noticed i had to move the "T "mark about an 1/8 off to get all the valves to shut. thats when i figuered it had to of jumped time, and sure a ***** it did.
The cam chain stretched and allowed it to jump a tooth on the cam! I just like to know what kind of cheesy chains r they putting in these? this quad is all stock and only 5 months old.
And i knew of others around here who have replaced their chains as well. How many of you guys had this problem????

outlaw319
12-10-2002, 09:52 PM
anyone:confused:

Sandragggen
12-10-2002, 10:32 PM
My chain never jumped but I installed a Sparks heavy duty chain to prevent that happening. You can get them for $100. Check the chain tensor (sp)...problem may lie there.

Jay

4WHLr
12-11-2002, 04:32 PM
You might want to check that your automatic decompressor is not hanging up if only ONE valve was tight.

Bill

outlaw319
12-11-2002, 06:23 PM
Thanx for the info 4WHLr ! I was going to check that too, waiting on him to bring the quad back out!