PDA

View Full Version : Should I trade my '07 400EX for a 700XX?

SPDSNYPR
10-04-2008, 07:16 PM
The delima:
-I'm huge. 6-04, 270 ish (think defensive lineman for a college football team, but much older).
-Still pretty new to sport quads, only had my 400EX for a year
-I really only do fast trail riding. No MX here. I'd be better off trying to be an ice dancer than an MX rider.
-Local Honda dealer said he'd sell me a brand new 700xx for $7000 out the door.

I have a crapload of fun on the 400 (which I bought new) but the 700 wasn't available then. I haven't heard too many bad things about the 700 (other than it's too heavy . . . . but so am I). I thought about trying to keep both - but that's a hard sell since I'm not rich and both my kids are under 11 years old.

So. What should a brother do?

leasureryan
10-04-2008, 07:39 PM
I say HELL NO!!! I work at a dealership, and we have a 700XX demo right now. I rode the piss out of it, and it SUCKS!!! They should have made a solid axle version. The IRS makes it want to dig in the rear, and the front end lifts up and out, causeing the tires to push through corners horribly. It sits up way to high. Tires are like the size of a utility quad, but it does have a TON of balls, low end like no other. But what is it worth having a motor that runs/ performs great, sitting on a chassie that is less than desireable???

If all you are doing is being a wussy on it, taking it slow through trails, or riding dunes....it would be ok.....but anyone who still acts like they are 18 and invinceable and rides hard, fast, and dangerous at some times (like me).....you won't be intrested in the least bit. Buy an R bro!

Besides.....who wants to buy a first model year quad anyway???.....They will be improving on that thing, and it will have recalls, etc.....let them work the bugs out! Or wait it out for a solid axle version!

Wildbrain
10-04-2008, 08:17 PM
KEEP the 400......

Ya, it would be cool to trade up to a 700.

But......... For what you do is trail ride you already have the right quad for that.

Now I realize that you can NEVER have enough power, But................the 400 has all power you need for woods riding.

I am, and always will be, 18 and invinceable and ride hard, fast and dangerous.

Think about it.......... Just about any good sport quad has the ability to spin the tires off it from turn to turn in the woods.

But........... What ya gonna do when you dive into that curve ?

I say save yourself some $$$$. Don't trade for the 700 but invest a few $$$$$ into the suspension {new a-arms, shocks, adjustable rear axel and stuff like that} and you will soon be rippin through the woods as fast as anyone else.

coryatver
10-04-2008, 08:22 PM
I wouldn't you will have to take a HUGE loss on that 400.

aron450r
10-04-2008, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Wildbrain
KEEP the 400......

Ya, it would be cool to trade up to a 700.

But......... For what you do is trail ride you already have the right quad for that.

Now I realize that you can NEVER have enough power, But................the 400 has all power you need for woods riding.

I am, and always will be, 18 and invinceable and ride hard, fast and dangerous.

Think about it.......... Just about any good sport quad has the ability to spin the tires off it from turn to turn in the woods.

But........... What ya gonna do when you dive into that curve ?

I say save yourself some $$$$. Don't trade for the 700 but invest a few $$$$$ into the suspension {new a-arms, shocks, adjustable rear axel and stuff like that} and you will soon be rippin through the woods as fast as anyone else.

Iagree.

RATPACK Z400
10-05-2008, 08:08 AM
being that your that big,look at a raptor 700r will be more to your liking for fast trails and loads of power to push you around ,But then you might not like yami,s if you like riding a ute then the 700xx will be fine as well.700r for you is best choice IMO.

brian76708
10-05-2008, 08:20 AM
yea i think you would be a lot more pleased with a raptor 700

geezy
10-05-2008, 11:04 AM
can u say KTM 525

brian76708
10-05-2008, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by geezy
can u say KTM 525

can you say EXPENSIVE i guess if you got like 12 grand to spend why not

CJM
10-05-2008, 02:26 PM
If all you do is ride in the woods why would you need more power? I can understand if you race or try to do insane hill climbs but regular woods riding is great with the 400.

I went from a 230cc suzuki to the 400ex and I weigh about 180bs and I am 6ft tall, that little thing would do anything I wanted besides keep up with faster bikes/atvs.

scuzz
10-05-2008, 08:09 PM
I went from a 400EX to a 700XX and wouldn't look back. Of course I'm not a little guy at 6'6" and 260. My 400Ex was bulletproof and plan to get one for my wife.

For ground clearance and raw torque you can't beat the 700xx, plus you get the Honda reliability. Hills they were a little hairy on my 400EX I now do with one hand. No longer do I have to worry about dragging my skidplate up a rutted hill.

My 400EX just had no where near the power and torque of the 700xx, granted its a MUCH larger displacement. My 400EX had a hotcam, was jetted (duh) and filtered and piped. You know the normal 400EX formula before you go big bore.

Then came the weekend dune trip. Being the biggest guy while the rest of my smaller friends had 525XC's and 700r's made for an un-fun trip with them waiting for me. Don't get me wrong, I l-o-v-e-d my 400EX as I had been on it for over 6 years, but I wouldn't go back unless it was for nostalgia reasons.

There's my $.02, I've been a long time 400EX owner and now am a 700XX owner.

Go ahead, ask me what I don't like about the 700xx and I'll be honest and forthcoming, it's not like I birthed it...

SPDSNYPR
10-05-2008, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by scuzz
1) There's my $.02, I've been a long time 400EX owner and now am a 700XX owner.

2) Go ahead, ask me what I don't like about the 700xx and I'll be honest and forthcoming, it's not like I birthed it...

1) thanks - sounds like you are about my size with the same issues.

and . . . . .

2) go ahead. I'm listening.

scuzz
10-06-2008, 07:56 AM
:) I've posted this also in other places (700xx forums)

1. I like technical trails and the 700 has plenty of grunt but it seems to be geared a little too high for that. The result is some clutch feathering. The 450r's front sprockets are a direct fit, so dropping it down a tooth would be a quick (and cheap) fix for this.

2. The front rotors don't have any sort of mud protection, so one you go through some deep mud it wears the front pads. Even my 400EX had protection for that.

3. (this is no fault of Honda) Aftermarket support seams slow.

4. Plastic by the pegs = scratched plastic by the pegs.

5. Getting used to dealing with the under steer and countering it with your weight. I rode with some kids half my age and weight through some really tight trails and kept up with NO problems. People who first get on the 700XX complain about this, but then once they learn how to ride the 700xx quickly figure it out. Much in the way people used to ***** abou the Porsche 911 in the arena of under/over steering.

....which leads me to my next one.

6. Black plastics scratch really bad on tight trails.

7. They could have done better with the reverse lever location.

That's it. I love a LOT more about the IRS than those 7 items though. No more dragging the axle up rutted trails or hearing the "BANG!" on rocky ones.
Wheely-ing over mud holes (with paddle tires) is a lot of fun. Also I was going down some seriously technical and narrow trails with some buddies, as we descended the trail became rocky and full of roots that would put the SRA guys' handlebars in the trees or against the trail. Not me though, it just compressed the irs on that side and I rode through. Landing on uneven surfaces also rocks for that same reason.

scuzz
10-06-2008, 08:00 AM
BTW, I see you're in Stillwater. The dune trip was in Waynoka @ Little Sahara. I believe though that was my 1st and last time there though as I'm now moving to Round Rock, TX.

SPDSNYPR
10-06-2008, 06:46 PM
Thanks Mr Scuzz. Lots of good info there.

And I've only been to the little sahara once. My stupid job keeps me close to home all the time.