PDA

View Full Version : Oregon Dunes?

nevadanotch
10-03-2008, 09:34 PM
I am planning a trip to the Oregon Dunes for a week next summer and was wanting some info on where to go.

I will be taking my 22' Ford F350 Motor Home and a two place quad trailer. I am paranoid of driving in sand to get to a camp site as I managed to get it stuck last weekend at Sand Mountain Nevada.

Anyway, I heard there is a KOA that you can ride out of and into the dunes at Florence. I am coming from Carson City Nevada so what do you guys suggest?

Thanks, Rand

guinness77
10-04-2008, 11:38 PM
There is a KOA campground at Houser...just North of Coos Bay. But if you're planning to be here on a big weekend, better reserve now. The 4th of July is probably already filled up.

There is another campground called Spinreel. much much bigger.

nevadanotch
10-05-2008, 01:01 AM
Can you ride straight out of the campgrounds and into the dunes at both of these campgrounds?

Which one do you recomend?

dunatic
10-05-2008, 09:41 PM
there are several campgrounds you can ride directly to the dunes from on the Southern Oregon coast.

Sand Dunes Frontier (Florence)(private)
Driftwood (Florence)(County)

Discovery Pointe (Winchester Bay)(private)

Spinreel (Coos Bay) (County)
Houser KOA (Coos Bay) (private)
Myrtlewood factory (Coos Bay) (private)
Horsefall. (Coos Bay) (County)

check out dunesguide.com

nevadanotch
10-06-2008, 12:58 AM
Hey dunatic, which would you recomed for familys or large groups?

dunatic
10-06-2008, 01:08 AM
my two favorites are:

Winchester Bay. Home to Oregon's tallest and steepest dunes. Home to the annual "Dune Fest" where 10k peps show up each year the 1st weekend in August. Also a great place for kids, as their are less razor backs and tons of "family" sized hills.

next would be.........

Spinreel. Just a short 15 miles South down hwy 101 from Winchester Bay. Great "trail" riding in the dunes and nearby coastal forest. Great terrain for the whole family.

I started riding the Oregon coast in 1971. I own a home in Winchester Bay that has direct sand dune access that we rent out.... check out micasa-suecasa dot com.

mattonln
10-07-2008, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by nevadanotch
Hey dunatic, which would you recomed for familys or large groups?

for large groups, I would probably go to horsfal as you can get several sites next to each other and all join forces, next would be discovery point.

dunatic
10-07-2008, 04:50 PM
All of the campgrounds that I mentioned have group sites that can handle large parties.

Discovery Point in Winchester Bay has a large area at the North end to works well. They are a full service park. Some grass.

Half Moon Bay camp ground in Winchester Bay has individual sites that can handle 4 BIG 5'rs. The campground is totally un-improved, so youll have to rely on your holding tanks and generators. No grass, mostly gravel

Spinreel has a couple of group sites that can handle 3-4 BIG rigs. They too are un-improved, but the grass is soft and green, Ten Mile creek runs right along side of it for the kids and the restroom as kept in tip top shape all day long. The camp hosts are pretty strict about quiet hours.

nevadanotch
10-07-2008, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the tips! I will have to make reservations so my group can actually get a spot!

gen3usa
10-15-2008, 09:50 PM
i really like honeyman state park, but getting reservations is hard this time of year! i ride all these dunes, if you get a chance in Idaho they have the Saint Anthony dunes which i find to be way better then anything at the coast, we have our annual ride there each year un june or july! im ready to head back again, be sure and let us know when your headed out, will come down and meet up with ya! cant stop pounding sand....