PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a 06 450

echophreak
10-03-2008, 01:10 PM
I just recently picked up a 06 yfz 450. A couple problems i noticed off the bat were the bogging down, and the clutch doesn't seem to be operating quite right.

If i start it in neutral, then kick it down to first, it jumps pretty hard, and sometimes stalls out the engine. After i get rolling and try to come to a stop, it seems like the cluth isn't engaging all the way, and the bike keeps puttering along until it gets to a slight hill, then it will stop and stay runnig. I tried to adjust the tensioner that is right next to the clutch cable with no luck. Is there another cluth adjustment that can be made to take this out, do i need a new cluth, or is this an inherant problem with these, and im just stucj with it?

Another problem i seem to have is when i give it gas in 1st or 2nd, it bogs down pretty heavy. The bike is bone stock, no mods at all. Do i need to put bigger jets in it, or is there another fix?

Also, if i do need a new clutch, and some new jets or whatever. Are they very hard to install? I've installed engines and tranny's in cars and trucks, but i'm not very familiar with bikes. Do you think i could do the jobs?

scuzz
10-03-2008, 01:45 PM
Changing the jets is hella simple, getting them right...now that's a whole 'noher thread.

Ryan
10-03-2008, 04:07 PM
Well as far as the clutch, first thing to do is inspect the cable... Check for wear, cracks, ect. But you'll probably need a new one. Its cheaper to start with that then going out and buying new plates and possibly a new basket.

As far as that bog your talking about. If its bogging out when you hit the throttle hard/fast (YFZ's are known for this), You may want to invest in a Accelerator Pump Cover - ( http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/4/23/292/9998/23256/PITEM/Boyesen-Quickshot-2-Accelerator-Pump-Cover-2008-Yamaha-YFZ450-Parts.aspx )

I had to put one on my 08 when I got it... It had a terrible bog when I stabbed the throttle. I haven't had a problem since. However, your going to have to rejet it with this. Stock YFZ's usually run lean anyway.

echophreak
10-03-2008, 04:29 PM
I checked the cable, it looks fine all the way to the arm. So i basically need a new clutch and this accelorator pump cover, and i should be fine? Do i have to re-jet it? What jets would you recomend with a stock set up?

Ryan
10-03-2008, 05:24 PM
First I would pull apart the plates and inspect them for wear, or crystalization.

If everything looks good, you can also try adjusting the pressure plate adjusting rod which runs through the clutch basket and the pressure plate, it normally has a phillips drive in the end of the rod, and a nut on it for adjusting.

If you turn the adjusting rod to the left while holding the nut in place, it will tightin the pressure plate screws.

odds are you need new clutch plates.. - http://store.albaaction.com/shop/YPK-65DCS.html

I really couldn't tell you where to start with the jets. I didn't personally rejet mine. Im sure you can find the stock sizes somewhere, and work from there.

All stock YFZ's bog terribly when your down low and stab the throttle.... Mine still gets that bog if I hit the throttle really hard, but never interferes with my riding. The accelerator cover was by far the best thing I invested into my yfz.

echophreak
10-07-2008, 08:14 AM
Anyone else have some of these problems?