PDA

View Full Version : help!!!!

ridered1986
10-03-2008, 10:52 AM
ok i got a question for all you 250r master mechanics out there. my bike is a 88 with a 310 cylinder. i just had it rebuilt and it has a brand new 38mm carb on it. my question is that if it is cold it will not start without pulling the spark plug and putting gas into the cylinder or spraying carb cleaner into the intake. but after it does start if i shut it off then kick it again it will start first kick. when it is running it runs perfect. if i let it sit for longer than 10 mins after running it, it wont start back and ill have to put gas into the cylinder again or carb cleaner. this has me very confused i have no idea what it is. could it be because its a fresh motor with less than 1 hour? i have no idea but if you guys have any input or ideas it would be greatly apreciated.

thanks in advance

norcalduner
10-03-2008, 11:40 AM
Would it be safe to assume that you already tried using the CHOKE on the carb while cold starting ? If so, then try going up one size if not two on your pilot jet, and you should be fine.

bushwesl
10-03-2008, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by norcalduner
Would it be safe to assume that you already tried using the CHOKE on the carb while cold starting ? If so, then try going up one size if not two on your pilot jet, and you should be fine.

Agreed. Oh, and please don't ever use starting fluid again.

86 Quad R
10-03-2008, 02:57 PM
it sounds as tho it's lean on the pilot and/or ya arent using the choke. typically an engine will start after setting a spell without the choke if the pilot jet is sized correct and should crank when cold after about 3 kicks with the choke.

try stepping up atleast one size on the pilot and finish up the break-in..... then proceed with the jetting/tweekin' on the needle and main.

ps: i'm another thats going to tell ya not to use starting fluid again :eek2:

miles Machine
10-03-2008, 09:31 PM
ive always herd not to use starting fluid on a 2-stroke but y??

brnrubr4ever
10-04-2008, 07:36 AM
no oil in starting fluid