PDA

View Full Version : Handlebar help

redroost85
12-10-2002, 06:10 PM
I don't know if the setup is all the same on EX's, but I am trying to put a set Renthals on my 250 and the bolts underneath the pop-off plastic thing at the top is the problem. The bolts (2) look like phillips heads, but also look offset, like a throwing star. I have tried phillips head drivers, either I can't get enough torque or something because I am mildly starting to strip the bolts which leads to my next question. Can I cut the bolts out from the bottom or something and just put all new bolts and washers in from the Honda shop? My new Renthals are just sitting there on the bench....... any help would be appreciated!

I tried a search for this topic and nothing came up.

Honda2003
12-10-2002, 06:57 PM
if you put the Renthals on the plastic cover won't fit anymore because of the cross bar. you may have to relocate the lights and ignition switch. someone correct me if i'm wrong. because i plan on changing my bars also(someday).

redroost85
12-10-2002, 08:17 PM
I am not worried about the plastic shroud, I wasn't going to use that anyway. I am going to relocate the lights (R and N) right behind the headlight and the key is going on the side. A little drill and dremel work and vwala! I am more concerned with getting the bars off to begin with...how the heck do I get the two bolts underneath the plastic pop-off in the shroud??? Is it a phillips or torx bit??? I think I may have already stripped the bolts...I am about ready to take the torch to this! Any help (before having to resort to the torch) would be much appreciated!:grr

12-10-2002, 08:21 PM
dont use a torch lol that would be just dumb and stupid
try drilling it out or an easy out
killer

Honda2003
12-10-2002, 08:44 PM
i just went out and looked at mine and they are phillips. they probibly have locktite on them.try drilling them out. i have not tryed taking mine out yet.

motochris
12-11-2002, 03:38 AM
Try using a impact driver to get them out... I had some luck with mine doing it this way but one of the other bolts i had to drill cause i had the screw head messed up... Just incase you dont know what an impact driver is, its a tool that is operated by using a hammer... You can install diffrent types of bits to remove screw or socket type nuts ,bolts and screws... You can get one at your local Auto parts house or good ol WalMart... Every tool box should have one of these tools in it...............:p

redroost85
12-11-2002, 05:31 PM
So if I drill right through the bolt with an electric drill I won't screw anything else up will I? Can I get replacement bolts (and washers and such) through the Honda dealer? I have tried using the electric drill (phillips head) to get the bolts out, but the bolts are too far recessed to get the drill in there. Thanks for all of your help...time to resort to old reliable, heh, heh, heh!;)

2qk4u
12-11-2002, 07:46 PM
here you go

2qk4u
12-11-2002, 07:47 PM
1 more

2qk4u
12-11-2002, 07:50 PM
Choke

redroost85
12-12-2002, 06:40 PM
2qk4u, I am not denying that looks pretty badazz, but gow did you get the bolts out that connects the plastic shroud? If I use a drill bit and drill right through the two bolts will that screw up anything? I have got everything set up, but I don't want eff something else up in the process. And what exactly is an impact driver? I think I know what it is, but I use another name for it. I know, I know this whole thing has become quite a pain in the ole ***!:confused:

2qk4u
12-12-2002, 07:41 PM
all of my screws just came right out. keep working at it is all i can say. screw it just brake the black cover off. shouldnt hurt anything then worry about getting the screws out. let us know what you do.

redroost85
12-14-2002, 12:23 PM
2qk4u....success, well, kind of! The long-short of it is, that I bucked up for the ONLY impact hammer in town to the tune of $33. Yes, I got the screws out with a little wrangling. (I had stripped one of the bolts) My next question is, (because you are more adept than I!, heh, heh, heh) How did you get the lights and ignition out of the plastic shroud? Just hack it, or a more finesse aproach? Any help here would also be much appreciated!

As a side note, I went to put on my new Renthals...yeah, I got the wrong freaking bend! So, back down to the Honda shop I went. The 400ex bend will be in next week. And the hits just keep on coming!:blah

Ralph
12-14-2002, 12:48 PM
what i did was take a rope and tie it around the black thing and then to a doorknob, then reversed it and it ripped off, then the bolts were loose cause there was nuting under them anymore and turned them out...

2qk4u
12-14-2002, 07:16 PM
how you get the lights out of the black plastic thing is you need to first take the red/green lenses out of them. then you can just pull them out. just be careful not to drill your hole to big for the lights and switch. look at each light and only cut enough out for them to fit tight. if you have anymore questions just let me know.

Ralph
12-14-2002, 07:21 PM
i ripped it off once had the lights out and the key...

redroost85
12-15-2002, 12:30 PM
2qk4u, I got the lights and ignition out...a little screw driver and a little air cut off wheel and presto! Now for more of your expertise (man, am I glad you're not charging, heh, heh, heh!) When you put the lights in, did you start with a drill bit for the holes and then go to a dremel? Also, did you insert the lights in through the bottom and then pop them through the hole? Snug enough to fit...gotcha. Did you use any sealer of any kind to keep them in place or it fits tight enough as is? Also, I think on your picture, did you mount the ignition next to the lights as well? I think I will go with that idea as well. I was contemplating putting the ignition on the side, but, nah. You have been a big help man, thanks again!

2qk4u
12-15-2002, 01:10 PM
didnt use no sealant. started off with a drill bit maybe even driiled the hole with a 3/8 bit. as long as its not bigger than the light assy. then i used a dremmal to clean it up and make it the perfect size to fit the light in snug. look at the rubber light assy and there is a couple of tits i should say on each side. them need to fit on a slot you need to use the dremmal for. if you look at your stock black plastic thing you will see what im talking about. if it was me i wouldnt put you key on the side. i do not like the looks of it there. put it were i got mine and it will look better than stock. i dont remember if i put the light assy. in from the bottom or top. you will just have to try it either way. as long as you get it in there is all that matters. good luck. take a pic of it after you get it all done and show us how you did. its easy man you shouldnt have any problems. just remember to TAKE YOUR TIME. DONT GET IN A HURRY. ITS NOT WORTH MESSING UP. AND ALSO KEEP YOUR PATIENTS.

redroost85
12-15-2002, 08:09 PM
2qk4u, hopefully I will get to cutting the holes this week. My new bars will be in by Friday. I have to get a few new bits for the dremel to start though. I just get too excited...man the pics of yours are badazz! I hope my hand is as steady as yours. Thanks again man, I will update you after (hopefully) I completed the job!

2qk4u
12-15-2002, 08:16 PM
no problem just let me know how it turns out.

RIDER11X
12-15-2002, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by redroost85
2qk4u, hopefully I will get to cutting the holes this week. My new bars will be in by Friday. I have to get a few new bits for the dremel to start though. I just get too excited...man the pics of yours are badazz! I hope my hand is as steady as yours. Thanks again man, I will update you after (hopefully) I completed the job!

DREMEL???:huh WHY NOT JUST DRILL THE HOLES THE CORRECT SIZE? MUCH MORE PRESCISE METHOD, ISN'T IT? JUST TRYING TO HELP.:)

redroost85
12-18-2002, 07:24 PM
2qk4u, whew! I am done with the installation of the lights and the ignition! I got my ignition in the center and the lights in the left corner. I couldn't get all three in a row for some reason. You are right, it took about 2 hours, but I am happy overall. It don't look near as badazz as yours, but that's ok with me. I put the Renthal bars and new Oury yellow grips on as well.

A couple more questions for ya! I think I may have some alignment issues. Is there an easy way to tell without riding it? I think my bars are straight on, but my tires are turned slightly I think. Maybe it is just all the kerosene fumes I have been inhaling! Also , I like my bars more forward than the specs say in the directions...it that gonna be ok? You have been a big help man. Thanks again!:)

redroost85
12-19-2002, 05:22 PM
Yep, something is messed up. I went riding and I had the bars canked to do a donut, but the tires weren't cranked all the way. What needs to be adjusted...the bars left to right...I can kind of see the bars being turned when the tires are straight ahead..So how do I adjust for the bars being off? Thanks again dudes!:cool: