PDA

View Full Version : silver lake or little sahara

smr
10-03-2008, 06:21 AM
Every year we have been driving out to Little Shahara OK to ride the dunes. It's about a 13 hour trip and we love every minute of it. Next year we are looking at maybe changing things up and going to Silver Lake Michigan. It's about 100 miles closer but we have never been there.

Has anybody been to both? How do they compare? Witch has more room and the biggest dunes?

thanks

mfr422
10-04-2008, 10:53 PM
Smr,
I have been to both and silver lake (sl) is not much of a comparison to little sahara (ls). At sl you are limited to about 500 acres of riding area where at ls you have 2500+. The hills at sl are taller, but there aren't very many of them and the hills are directional. On the weekends, the place is PACKED!! , they have such a problem that they went to limiting the number of people in the dunes by using vouchers. Go to the michigan dnr website for more info. Don't get me wrong, it's a great place to ride but all I do on the weekends is drag race due to the number of machines out there. There are a lot of trucks in sl because you can go almost anywhere in a stock 4 wheel drive. When I went to ls, it was mostly bikes and quads because of the steepness of the dunes, silver lake is more like sand hills then dunes. The dnr up there can be a pain in the *** too, lots of regulations and rules. Check out silverlakesanduners.com for info about it also. All that being said, I'm heading up there thursday, WWWOOHHOOO!!!
If you want something different check it out but the two don't really compare if I lived closer to ls like you, I wouldn't go to sl.

Oh, one thing about sl that is way better is it's a resort town, it's a good place for a family vacation as there's other things to do besides riding. :D I hope this helps so now you have one man's opinion:D

smr
10-06-2008, 06:37 AM
thanks..you really gave me the info I was looking for.

Like I said, I was only looking at going to SL because it was about 100miles closer. it's about 850 miles to ls and I was just looking at my options.

Stroker81
10-06-2008, 06:03 PM
I have been to both. I think you should go up and check out silver lake for yourself. It is a nice place to ride. The camping thing at little saraha is nice camping right there at the dunes. I am heading out to little saraha next year. I am heading to silver lake the 16th.