got it all back together now and cant get it to fire
I know there's spark,
I know there's fuel in the carb bowl
I took the bowl off and checked the jets for gummed up fuel
because it did sit for a while but they where clean
any thought's ?

somewon
10-02-2008, 10:33 PM
humm... So I'm guessing it cranks strong, and the exhaust is at least puffing out a little air while cranking. could you smell gas while it was cranking?

how did you check for spark?

If you got all the hardware back together in the right place I'd bet it's going to be a wiring problem somewhere. check your grounds and connections again.

Chris525
10-03-2008, 04:56 AM
it does crank strong and every once in while get a puff out the exhaust
could not smell gas while cranking
thats why I tore apart the carb
I spayed starting fluid in the carb a couple times to see if I could give it a jolt
then the spark plug decided the ignite that fluid and spay fire back at me
so I didnt check for spark, I just assumed it had it

Chris525
10-03-2008, 04:28 PM
alright I dont think I'm getting gas though the carb
it is flowing down and filling the bowl but I dont beleive it is spraying up into the motor

dis stanks

Chris525
10-04-2008, 06:47 AM
all my wiring seems to be fine
any idea's

somewon
10-04-2008, 10:13 AM
well if you think it's a fuel problem start small, check to make sure you have fuel in the tank and the petcock is open.

If all that checks out pull the carb and give it a good cleaning with compressed air, take the bowl off and blow through the jets to make sure you get it clean. spraying a little carb and choke cleaner never hurt either.

reinstall the carb and test again.

also remove the spark plug, and reattach it to the plug wire, lay the plug next to a bare metal part of the engine (the exhaust works great) crank the machine and watch for spark. The motor should crank very fast since there is no compression at this point.

if that checks out ok reinstall the plug and wire and try to start it again. it may also help to use a jump box to keep the battery putting out it's full charge during all this.

Do you have a compression tester?

Chris525
10-04-2008, 01:46 PM
I'm gonna go ahead and rip apart the carb and do good clean and test for spark

but now a new problem

I decided to try to fire it again and there is nothing
all I have is head lights no nueltral light no reverse light and no response from the starter button I didnt mess with any wires just looked them over

somewon
10-04-2008, 03:00 PM
A quick test would be to try to jump start it from a jump box or another machine. if this works your battery may be bad or need a recharge. if it keeps acting up start tracing wires. :(

Chris525
10-04-2008, 04:48 PM
update ;
the battery's been toast from the beginning I've had it hooked up to my truck

the electrical problem was mud in some of the connecters, once I cleaned it out it would crank again

the fuel problem was that the main jet and some weird thing in the front that the fuel line came in to and 2 fuel lines came out of were clogged with mud

got her runnin again but now it cuts out in the higher rpm's
could it be bad fuel ?
it did sit for a while

Outlaw 50
10-06-2008, 05:42 AM
Change out all the gasoline and clean out the tank, petcock, fuel lines, & fuel pump. (the weird thing in front)...lol

P.S. Don't forget to change the oil and filter after the engine runs for about 15 minutes!

somewon
10-06-2008, 07:43 AM
if it cuts out at high RPM and your sure about everything Outlaw 50 suggested It may be a jetting issue (lean condition), do you have a jet kit or are you using the stock jets?

Chris525
10-06-2008, 04:17 PM
I cleaned all the fuel passages
I will go ahead and do the oil after a while
as the jetting goes it ran fine before the rebuild and
I know now that it does not do it all the high rpm's all the time
sometimes I can run it all the way through 1st and it will stutter in 2nd
but sometimes it stutter in 1st and let me go all the way through 2nd

katch26
10-07-2008, 10:43 AM
im surprised noone mentioned cam timing.....if your timing is off it would be hard to start and depending on how far off it is (retarded) the upper rpm would suffer too.

Chris525
10-07-2008, 04:03 PM
since this was the first time doing any of this
I was worried it was cam timing also but somtimes I can run it all the way through the rpm's
sometimes it falls on its face

this fuel pump up front has mesh type screens in it
can I order new screens or do I need the whole assembly
this may not be "the" problem but this one is pretty nasty

somewon
10-07-2008, 10:30 PM
I don't know about the fuel filter but I would definately get it changed.

it seems like you have a lot of dirt related issues with this machine. Have you checked to make sure there aren't any crawdads living in the air box? :D

In regards to timing, are you pretty confident you got everything set right? A few degrees off may not produce a real noticable effect, but it would add to some of your existing issues.

All of my suggestions so far have been assuming you got everything back together correct, and the problem is something simply overlooked. Chris525, if you think there is more going on than what I'm assuming let me know.

Chris525
10-08-2008, 04:00 AM
the owner of this quad posted on pred. owners under pred maintence called timing setting
we had pics and descriptions and when we got into it everything worked out great it looked perfect ( or so we are sitting around praying looked perfect )
but the reason I dont think it's timing is because I would think it would fall on it's face every time at an exact rpm
but sometimes I can blaze all the way to the top end no problems
sometimes I cant

this will clarify a little

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XQgrjJVAKM

there were only 3 crawdads and some bar-b-q sauce and they were fine