PDA

View Full Version : Changing a tire

carljohansson
10-02-2008, 05:46 PM
I have no idea how it happened - but my kid put a 6 inch long stick 1/2 inch in diameter - through her rear tire on her fourtrax. So can I use one of those cheapy harbor freight mechanical tire machines and break it off the rims - or am I in for a tough fight?

Carl Johansson

jeepthing07
10-03-2008, 05:36 PM
you can use a hi-lift jack and lay the tire on the ground and set the edge of the jack up agaionst the bead of the tire and jack the truck up and the weight of the truck will bust the tire off the bead. its better to do it in the grass so it dont scratch up the rim.

you can also use a 2x6 or piece of wood set it on the tire up against the bead and drive a truck up it and pop it off.

might have to go around and to this in 4 spots on the tire to brake it loose. some tires with really thin sidewalls this method don't work on but 99% of the time it works for me.

carljohansson
10-03-2008, 07:07 PM
Thanks for the help. Turns out my neighbor has one of the olkd school air pressure and manual tire busters from an old gas station. i was able to bust the bead on 1 side (to great of an offset on the other side) anyway IO think I can reach in and patch the tire from the inside - then air it back up. I'll let you know how it goes!

Carl Johansson