PDA

View Full Version : 15 minute ride and observations

2old2race
10-02-2008, 07:00 AM
So, I finally got out for a 15 minute ride in our woods. Wife took the son out, and I bribed the daughter with a popsicle and Spongebob on t.v. lol!

I noticed one thing immediately, the thumb throttle is very sensitive. Once you let off on the throttle, the Outlaw nose dives a bit. Once you touch it, the front end immediately swings back up. When going through the woods, I found myself having to feather the throttle because it was hard to find a happy medium.

Also, it doesn't feel as fast as my EX. It also does not seem to want to lift the front end as easily either. Now I attribute that to the IRS and the fact that the rear end seems to squat and grab more. My EX would just immediately lift the front end, even when coming out of turns. The EX was more of a 'fun' quad, this one appears to be more of a woods quad.

I did notice that standing while riding through the woods was kinda a waste of energy. Hell, I can actually sit while riding over rocks and downed trees. This is GREAT considering I am 6'3" and that on my EX I was continuous standing which with my height also had me feeling as if I was ready at any time to catapault over the handlebars. Why are all quads/dirtbikes made for people around 5'6"??!!

It is definitely a different ride and will take a couple hours for me to get used to. It is weird to ride through turns now whereas my EX would slide the rear end through the same turns.

I am sure this will all grow comfortable with time. When I came off my Harley onto a Big Dog I thought I would never get used to riding such a strung out, rough ride. Now, it is the only ride I know and enjoy. lol

SSJEFF
10-02-2008, 07:15 AM
Filter, jet and pipe, the front end will be more than happy to come up. The pipe is pretty restrictive. I remeber my first one, I was unsure about it. Then I rode hard and I was not as sore the next day as I was on the predator. It also gave me confidence to hit doubles because you can come down all kinds of crooked and it soaks it up.

scuzz
10-02-2008, 08:09 AM
Yeah I'm 6'6" and agree with you about quads and cars not being made for taller people. I once saw a video of myself on my 400EX and how it looked like I was hanging all over it like a daddy long legs on a jack.

(and no, this isn't a troll response but...)

I fit on my 700XX VERY nicely.

2old2race
10-02-2008, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by scuzz
Yeah I'm 6'6" and agree with you about quads and cars not being made for taller people. I once saw a video of myself on my 400EX and how it looked like I was hanging all over it like a daddy long legs on a jack.

(and no, this isn't a troll response but...)

I fit on my 700XX VERY nicely.

hahahah
Yeah, someone told me once I looked like a big turd (wearing all black, I guess???) on my Harley Softail.
Now, on my 9' Chopper, I fit just right. :cool:

When I used to ride dirt bike, I hated how all the short guys could all but stand and have their knees on the shroud. I was always had to have a bend to do so, which KILLED my quads! :mad:

2old2race
10-02-2008, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by SSJEFF
Filter, jet and pipe, the front end will be more than happy to come up. The pipe is pretty restrictive. I remeber my first one, I was unsure about it. Then I rode hard and I was not as sore the next day as I was on the predator. It also gave me confidence to hit doubles because you can come down all kinds of crooked and it soaks it up.
That will be in my future.
I choose to get some heavy duty Moose nerfs and Powermadds instead of a pipe, filter, jet kit. It was one or the other. I settled on a billet tip too for the pipe which claims to open the pipe up a tad.

SSJEFF
10-02-2008, 01:25 PM
the tip will help, just really loud on the 525. I imagine it is the same on the 500. I forgot to mention, you can get somme Rox risers to raise you handle bars since you are taller. I ran them with flexx bars but my bars were a lower rise. They were almost perfect.

smokinwrench
10-02-2008, 09:50 PM
The owners manual has a good section on setting up the shocks, this helped my 525 tons. Then it took me a few days to dial them in perfect for soaking up whoops. After that first long weekend of riding you regret owning the 400ex as long as you did you won't be sore at all compared to before.

2old2race
10-03-2008, 05:31 AM
Yes, I have that section in my service manual.
Pretty neat the way it has you measure and set for 4" of sag.
I'll try that this weekend.

I got out for another 30 minutes last night and definitely know what you mean by the ride. I also have a nice rocky section on the hill behind our house that is about 100 feet in length.
Whereas my ex would have to be powered up this hill in second- first if I lost traction. Last night I could just smoothly roll up the hill in third!
I also discovered that I could enter and exit turns in 4th gear. The torque is definitely better than on my ex. I found that once I would hit the grunt in the torque curve, the suspension would put the power to the wheels which would push me ahead immediately. I cannot wait to hear my friends comments when I start leaving him in the turns. lol
Lastly, my ex picked the front wheel up easier, yet my Outlaw is without a doubt faster. I believe it also has to do with the ex being abit rougher in feel. The Outlaw seemed slower at first because it was smoother.

Either way, I really love this quad! :macho

smokinwrench
10-03-2008, 06:49 AM
I went from a modded 400ex (cam, 11:1 piston, exhaust, gearing, cold air intake) got a stock 05 troy lee predator and it would waste the ex. Then I modded the predator, it and the outlaw 500 are totally different machines once they get an intake and exhaust, totally wakes up the motor. The stock 525 blows the modded troy lee away.

I actually enjoy people always talking crap about Polaris, whole different story when I win a harescramble, against modded hondas and yamahas. I have a harescramble Oct 19, I hope I can ride 1 hour nonstop I'm getting old and out of shape. I haven't race since 2006 series.

2old2race
10-03-2008, 07:05 AM
Best of luck!
Outlaw IRS>getting old. lol

Evasiveone
10-03-2008, 08:20 AM
The biggest change in riding style going to the IRS from SRA is that in a corner, instead of sliding way back and doing the big slide, with the IRS it helps to slide forward up on the tank right when hitting the corner. This helps unload the rear-end and eliminate some of the push into the corner that you can get with IRS. Once you laid the tail sliding through the corner you will notice that with the IRS you can accelerate harder sooner coming out of the corner.

2old2race
10-03-2008, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by Evasiveone
The biggest change in riding style going to the IRS from SRA is that in a corner, instead of sliding way back and doing the big slide, with the IRS it helps to slide forward up on the tank right when hitting the corner. This helps unload the rear-end and eliminate some of the push into the corner that you can get with IRS. Once you laid the tail sliding through the corner you will notice that with the IRS you can accelerate harder sooner coming out of the corner.
Thanks.
Something to work on this weekend! :D

cmpearce
10-04-2008, 07:05 AM
my pred( same engine) didn't run that great untill i ran a couple of tanks of gas through it . a slip on exhaust ,air filter (air box lid removed if riding conditions allow )and rejet,help low end and overall power tremendously.

2old2race
10-12-2008, 10:53 AM
So, I got away for a day and rode at Mountain Ridge in Somerset- favorite place to date that I have ridden!

After about 2 hours I really found myself comfortable with the Outlaw. As to one recommendation I did fine it runs best in a higher gear. The low end torque is excellent and powerful. I was riding most of the time throught the twisties in third gear. Only if I really had to slow in a curve would I downshift. I also found that the IRS really allows you to spring off the berms! Whereas my friend on his 400Ex would would have to let off a bit to keep from spinning through the berms I could actually gun it and bounce out of them.
I also found one nervous time that the suspension is more forgiving than that on my 400EX. I landed nosedown into a gully between to hills and the front end soaked it up smoothly.

I can't wait to see how better it runs with an HMF pipe, air cleaner, and jetting!

So, I am definitely sold on my Outlaw and the IRS! :)

SSJEFF
10-12-2008, 05:31 PM
I am glad to see you are feeling better about it. Both the 525 and the 500 are low end power motors and like to be short shifted to make them go faster.

2old2race
10-12-2008, 07:06 PM
Yes, I noticed that. Wheras my EX was better when I wrung out the gears, the Outlaw runs out of power kinda quickly needing to be shifted. But, I will take low end torque over horsepower anyday for trail riding!

Originally posted by SSJEFF
I am glad to see you are feeling better about it. Both the 525 and the 500 are low end power motors and like to be short shifted to make them go faster.