PDA

View Full Version : Anyone go thru water and mud??

drew3623
10-02-2008, 06:30 AM
I love to ride through mud and water... but im always scared that Im going to mess my quad up. I know its not a 4x4 but its still fun. I dont have any mods on it besides a slip on. Will this mess anything up?

I have heard that If the exhaust goes under and dies, not to try to start it. Pull the airbox lid off and see if theres water and pull the spark plug. I think im supposed to try to start it with the spark plug out to shoot out the water?

Please let me know if this is correct and if there is anything else.

Thanks

scuzz
10-02-2008, 09:18 AM
I've been through it all in my 400EX.

I've also had it WAY over my muffler. Just make sure you keep it running and the air intake above the water line. They key is not to get water in your air box and make sure that seals well. When you go in deep water long enough you'll want to do it on a wheelie to keep your air intake above the water. We used to go creek riding VERY often and I never had a problem.

If you do get water in your airbox SHUT OFF YOUR QUAD. If it was only a little you can get it to dry ground, remove the drain and see if it turns over. If it was a pool of water when you opened the lid, remove the plug and turn it over after it drains.

If you did get water in the engine (oil) do NOT run your engine. Get pulled back, change the filter and change the oil. If you run it the paper filter will absorb the water and disintegrate into your oil and you will have a MUCH bigger problem on your hands. If you've ever swamped your 400EX you'll want to change your oil about 7x before getting all the water out.

I've also been in some nasty mud too. You couldn't even tell what color it was. The only issue you'll find with that is that the rear brake pad will wear out faster in muddy/sandy conditions, so test your breakes before hauling butt down the trail.

drew3623
10-02-2008, 10:49 AM
Thanks alot for the help. Thats great info.

elmer91
10-02-2008, 02:45 PM
i second exactly what scuzz said. also if you ride through a lot of creeks, skid plates are recommended to protect the bottom of your quad. a bent rotor is not fun.

10-02-2008, 04:40 PM
I water cross with the skid plates and going fast its like a jetski as long as you dont turn. Going slower through the water I have done many times and i've played in the mud on the 400ex. Its fun to just let out the clutch and barely be on the gas you can whip the quad around at like 3,000 rpm throwing your body around and then if you nail it you dont move lol

94F450SD
10-02-2008, 05:53 PM
heres mine playing in some mud and huge puddles. http://media.putfile.com/who-needs-4WD

scuzz
10-03-2008, 08:17 AM
Cool!

Sometimes I'll spend an hour just playing in the same mud hole like that.