PDA

View Full Version : Air Plane Fuel?

Brauap
10-01-2008, 02:09 PM
My dads buddy was riding with us and he brought up that he uses the same fuel as air planes. He goes to the local air port and ask and they will just fill up your take for like 4 sum a gal. and it is like 12_ oct. Do you think it is worth it?

Bridgewater
10-01-2008, 02:44 PM
wow never heard of it lol.
would first have to find an airport around me :ermm: there isnt any lol

brian76708
10-01-2008, 03:04 PM
depends what your running it in if your running it in a stock 400ex there is no point inless you like to waist money

katch26
10-01-2008, 03:33 PM
ive always heard that its not a good idea but here is a writeup on why not to use it specifically

AV gas or Aviation Gas is not rated on the same Octane scale as the 110 race gas you are compairing to. Av gas is usually less than 86 octane and is made to burn at high altitude and alot colder temps than we see usually. so there for it should not be used in race motors!!!!!! 91-93 Octane Super Unleaded will usually be fine in an engine with less than 12.8 compression ratio as long as you are jetted right and it is not 120 degrees out side. But their are always exceptions to the normal. The most of our motors with say 13.5 need about 101 octane to get buy. Some people same money and cut or mix race fuel with super unleaded to get 97-105 all you needed is to keep our motor from pinging or preignighting any more octane than that is just wasted and will not help performance.

skott1576
10-01-2008, 03:45 PM
avation fuel is like a very fine kerosen you cant run it in your quad

GPracer2500
10-01-2008, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by skott1576
avation fuel is like a very fine kerosen you cant run it in your quad

"Aviation fuel" is a generic term that could mean many things. You're talking about jet fuel. The OP is talking about 100LL, I'm sure.

GPracer2500
10-01-2008, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by katch26
ive always heard that its not a good idea but here is a writeup on why not to use it specifically

AV gas or Aviation Gas is not rated on the same Octane scale as the 110 race gas you are compairing to. Av gas is usually less than 86 octane and is made to burn at high altitude and alot colder temps than we see usually. so there for it should not be used in race motors!!!!!! 91-93 Octane Super Unleaded will usually be fine in an engine with less than 12.8 compression ratio as long as you are jetted right and it is not 120 degrees out side. But their are always exceptions to the normal. The most of our motors with say 13.5 need about 101 octane to get buy. Some people same money and cut or mix race fuel with super unleaded to get 97-105 all you needed is to keep our motor from pinging or preignighting any more octane than that is just wasted and will not help performance.

I don't know where that came from but...

There is no mystery or "usually" about the octane rating of aviation gasoline. There are several types that have historically been available. But anymore, 100LL is the ONLY avgas that is commonly available. You can find 100LL at practically any airport. But you won't find any of the now mostly defunct versions (e.g. 100/130, 80/87, etc.) Each one has a very specific minimum standard for octane rating. The minimum spec for 100LL is 99.5 Motor Octane Number as per ASTM D910.

Bear in mind pump fuels are rated using the average of MON and RON. But you can estimate the MON of pump fuel by multiplying the R+M/2 rating (that's the number on the yellow pump sticker) by 0.95. So 91 octane pump fuel would have a MON rating of approximately 86 or 87.

Any time you are comparing octane ratings you have to get them into the same units first. The most common are MON, RON, and an average of the two (R+M/2). MON is the best one to use for our purposes.

Brauap
10-01-2008, 04:22 PM
he said it had lots of led (ll) and that coats your valves and makes them stronger..:confused: He uses it in his POSlaris Sportman 700.. He said thats what he had always been using........

GPracer2500
10-01-2008, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Brauap
My dads buddy was riding with us and he brought up that he uses the same fuel as air planes. He goes to the local air port and ask and they will just fill up your take for like 4 sum a gal. and it is like 12_ oct. Do you think it is worth it?

The short answer is: probably not. But it isn't going to hurt anything as long as the jetting is at least close to right.

There are some advantages to 100LL that have nothing to do with octane rating. They are usually minor but can matter depending on what you value. Mostly I'm talking about the lead in 100LL being good, 100LL's distillation curve is pretty good, 100LL stores well, and 100LL is going to be almost exactly the same every time. Pump gas can't boast any of those features.

If you think you might care about any of those things, then 100LL could make sense. Otherwise, there isn't much reason to bother since the higher octane rating of 100LL isn't needed by almost any internally stock engine.

GPracer2500
10-01-2008, 04:41 PM
he said it had lots of led (ll) and that coats your valves and makes them stronger..:confused: He uses it in his POSlaris Sportman 700.. He said thats what he had always been using........

100LL does have lead. The "LL" stands for "low lead". 100LL is a lower lead version (1/2 the amount) of the now pretty much gone 100/130 avgas.

But it still has enough lead in it to make a difference in some cases. Lead can help valves. While the engine is running, the valves actually spin around and around on their valve seats. The combustion products of the lead coat those surfaces, helping lubricate and cushion the valve seat and valve face.

Some old cars from the days of leaded pump gas benefit from leaded gas in the long run. The metals used back in the day weren't as good so the lubricating and cushioning properties of leaded gas were more important than they are with any modern engine. Today's valve trains last plenty long without the need for lead.

QUADSQUAD7
10-01-2008, 04:45 PM
Sent you a PM

Brauap
10-01-2008, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
100LL does have lead. The "LL" stands for "low lead". 100LL is a lower lead version (1/2 the amount) of the now pretty much gone 100/130 avgas.

But it still has enough lead in it to make a difference in some cases. Lead can help valves. While the engine is running, the valves actually spin around and around on their valve seats. The combustion products of the lead coat those surfaces, helping lubricate and cushion the valve seat and valve.

Some old cars from the days of leaded pump gas benefit from leaded gas in the long run. The metals used back in the day weren't as good so the lubricating and cushioning properties of leaded gas were more important than they are with any modern engine. Today's valve trains last plenty long without the need for lead.

MAN!!! YOU KNOW YOUR STUFF! :eek2: ;)

400exstunter
10-01-2008, 06:36 PM
it is also really bad for gaskets it eats them away.

Wheelie
10-01-2008, 07:55 PM
AV Gas does not hurt gaskets, AV Gas will not blow up your engine either.

I have personally run AV gas off an on in my quad since I bought it in 99', never once have I had any issues with the fuel. GP stated it correct, as long as your quad is jetted for AV gas (slightly richer) there won't be any problems.

GP2500 stated a lot of good facts about Aviation Fuel.

bigballz400
10-02-2008, 08:34 PM
when i was little i race a pw50 all bored out and ported and polished and they only way it would run was on air plane gas.....and yea it was hard on sh** after a few months racin w/ it the bike jus became a total power loss it was horrible so then we built a pw50 that ran on methonal and it was the best
other then vp