PDA

View Full Version : Which Hmf??

bwarren
10-01-2008, 10:24 AM
Looking at getting an HMF exhaust for my 05 400ex. What's the difference between the sport, ballance, and ironman?? How much difference is their between the slip-on and full system?? If it makes a differerece I'm looking for something that won't blow your ears out!!

Thanx!

scuzz
10-01-2008, 11:08 AM
When I had my 400EX my HMF was LOUD...CAPS LOCK LOUD.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j254/gwwaddle/400EX/100_4994.jpg

jsukey
10-01-2008, 11:38 AM
I put the sport on mine. I put the quiet core in it and I love it. I hardly ever do any track racing, mostly wooded areas so I wanted something a little more user friendly. I could still tell a big difference though! The quiet core was only $20 and well worth it! I got my pipe brand new off Ebay for $130. Cheapest I've seen around! Good luck!

10-01-2008, 02:02 PM
the ironman has a bigger core so more topend/MX. The Ballance has a torque range modifier for more lowend/XC and the sport series is the same as the ballance i believe just without the TRM and its all around power.

Ryan'07400ex
12-11-2008, 07:37 PM
Which do you think sounds the best. OR are all basically same?

buck440
12-12-2008, 09:19 AM
balance sure is a screamer, id have it no other way:macho

Ryan'07400ex
12-16-2008, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by buck440
balance sure is a screamer, id have it no other way:macho

My friend just got a slip on. It sounds pretty bad and looks trick.

rcatvrider
12-16-2008, 02:51 PM
IMO the ironman sounds the best. Really deep.

Bridgewater
12-16-2008, 03:21 PM
i have the full ballance and that thing screams. but is deep and has a bass sound to it.
i love the pipe.
can def tell the gains. low-mid

Brauap
12-18-2008, 07:28 PM
Anyone have any vids of the Ballance.. from what you guys are saying.. it sounds pretty BA!

12-18-2008, 07:56 PM
The Ballance has a core insert thats supposed to give more torque and the Ironman has a larger core than the sport and the ballance

justin1022
12-19-2008, 09:14 AM
the diference is the sport was supost to be a mx pipe but it was to loud so they made a billballance that is quiter for mx there pretty much the same thing but the ironman i have no clue

12-19-2008, 09:39 AM
Have you people ever heard of youtube? lol.

Ironman
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/p-t_QUOg6P4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/p-t_QUOg6P4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Ballance
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9EJFkJaaFf0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9EJFkJaaFf0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

rcatvrider
12-22-2008, 05:36 PM
Seeing is was designed for gncc and sounds/looks BA i would go with the ironman.

Ryan'07400ex
12-22-2008, 05:50 PM
Thanks, so do you think it would be same except more top-end because a little more bottom-end would be great to.

rcatvrider
12-22-2008, 06:02 PM
In general, if you are running a stock pipe currently, an aftermarket pipe should provide some gains everywhere if paired with an air filter and correct jetting.

Brauap
12-22-2008, 06:27 PM
What be best for trail riding, goofing off, drag racing (for fun w/ your buddies), and tight technical trails? The Balance or the Ironman? It sounds like the Ironman would be best.. any other comments? Like kind of what was asked before, how do the 2 pipes compare? How much MORE top end does the Ironman have than the Balance? Bottom? ect.

12-23-2008, 11:39 AM
All this "which one is better" crap.

Honestly, if you want my honest opinion, the average rider won't notice a damn difference between the ironman, balance, and sport series except for maybe sound.

You're putting way too much thought into this. You honestly will not notice much difference in power. Maybe sound.

Just pick the one that looks pretty and buy it already lol.

exrider12
12-23-2008, 11:43 AM
there seems to be some confusion in which pipe does what

Ironman- top end mx pipe

Ballance- Bottom end xc pipe

Sport- All around

Brauap
12-23-2008, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by exrider12

Ironman- top end mx pipe

Sport- All around

I get that part, but what really confuses me is that the 'Ironman' is for 'top end mx' (which I have heard from countless places for countless people & magizines) but, the 'Ironman' in a track in the GNCC series, XC! Is there an 'Ironman' MX track too?

rcatvrider
12-23-2008, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by exrider12

Ironman- top end mx pipe

Sport- All around
Ironman is a type of gncc race so I wonder why would they name a mx pipe ironman?

Hmm looked it up and i guess it is designed for mx. It's not named after the race after all, but after John “Ironman” Natlie.

Brauap
12-23-2008, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by rcatvrider
Ironman is a type of gncc race so I wonder why would they name a mx pipe ironman?

Hmm looked it up and i guess it is designed for mx. It's not named after the race after all, but after John “Ironman” Natlie.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Thanks! Makes much more since now! But do you relize why I was confused?

12-23-2008, 01:02 PM
someone asked for pics of the black chrome sport pipe..here ya go...
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-12/921056/ZXQJJ-DSC00795.JPG
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-12/921056/KXZIP-DSC00949.JPG

Ryan'07400ex
12-23-2008, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by speedyquad
someone asked for pics of the black chrome sport pipe..here ya go...
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-12/921056/ZXQJJ-DSC00795.JPG
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-12/921056/KXZIP-DSC00949.JPG

Thanks speedy :)

12-23-2008, 03:52 PM
no problem...if i am feeling froggy over the next few days, i'll take a close up shot of it and pm it to ya...

Honda10
12-23-2008, 04:54 PM
if your an all around rider why not get a sport series, cheaper, just as good, you probablly just pay for the name on the other two and could probably not tell much difference. So I say the sports series.

Brauap
12-23-2008, 06:18 PM
I was just doing some research via eBay and this is what I had come up with:

Iron Man----- S/O-$284.95
Bill Balance-- S/O-$284.95
Sport Series- S/O-$239.95

DIFFERENCE: $45

Iron Man---- Full-$465.95
Bill Balance--Full-$465.95
Sport Series-Full-$436.95

DIFFERENCE: $29

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

So, it is basically what range of power you want, looks, and sound, like what was mentioned before. I found this information, thinking it may help someone make their mind.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Personally, I'd get the Bill Balance, fore it fits my needs the best, and one of my 'heros' is Bill Balance, so I would be proud to own something he helped create, spread his name, use his products, and support him, but thats just me. :blah:

rcatvrider
12-23-2008, 07:01 PM
I'm cheap so i would probably go with the sport if i was actually buying an hmf. If I had no budget i don't know though. The ironman still sounds the best to me. It sounds different even when revving, unlike the other two which sound the same once revved. But the ballance would be better for my application if the low end is noticeably better. It all comes down to the riding and sound you like.

procircuit406ex
12-24-2008, 09:06 AM
i would also look into a Curtis Sparks ill never run anything else again

Brauap
12-24-2008, 09:08 AM
There is a deal locally on Cragislist for the Curtis Sparks Full System.. for 200 dollars. I think he said it was brand new..

if you ask nicly, I will give you guys his ## :blah:

or how about just the whole ad, are you guys interested?

Yippie-Ki-Yay
12-24-2008, 11:00 AM
I was having trouble on which pipe i should get, till i saw the candy red ballance on hmf's site. Im going to have to wait till april to get it though...When i get it, i want to get that air box lid with the outerwears on it, whats the name of it? And do i need to plug the snorkel?

Brauap
12-24-2008, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Ryan'07400ex
I would look at Curtis Sparks if my friend didn't have it and I would get the ballance if my other friend didn't have it. I know that is sort of a weird reason not to get them but I ride with these friends often and I want to be different (and better if possible). My other friend says he will probally get the full system sport, so I am leaning towards Ironman or maybe Motoworks Sr4.

Thanks for all the opinions and prices everyone:D

You WONT be a Curtis Sparks.. and for $200, you can't buy a new HMF Slip on for cheaper!!

12-24-2008, 11:03 AM
I would look at Curtis Sparks if my friend didn't have it and I would get the ballance if my other friend didn't have it. I know that is sort of a weird reason not to get them but I ride with these friends often and I want to be different (and better if possible). My other friend says he will probally get the full system sport, so I am leaning towards Ironman or maybe Motoworks Sr4.

Thanks for all the opinions and prices everyone:D

Sparks IS the best of the best.
What model does he have? If he has the X6 get the X4 which is better for stock bikes anyway.

Either that or the Motoworks.

If you want to be different then hmf is not the way to go. Everyone and there mother has one. I see very few motoworks because they came out not that long ago, but a very very nice exhaust system.

Brauap
12-24-2008, 11:12 AM
Ryan, look for another one of these (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/400EX-DMC-Alien-full-exhaust-system_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a1 3Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14Q QhashZitem220331295675QQitemZ220331295675QQptZMoto rsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories) on eBay.. you'll deffently be different! I don't know ANYONE else who has this! :blah:

12-24-2008, 11:39 AM
sacrificing performance to be different is a new one on me. Last I checked everyone wanted to be atleast equal or have more. If your not Sparks 2nd best is HMF. Pipes can make or break a race. I had a E-Series and it was better than stock sounded pretty cool but the HMF gave so much more power to it. Usually if a lot of people have it, its good and probally the best for it.

12-24-2008, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
sacrificing performance to be different is a new one on me. Last I checked everyone wanted to be atleast equal or have more. If your not Sparks 2nd best is HMF. Pipes can make or break a race. I had a E-Series and it was better than stock sounded pretty cool but the HMF gave so much more power to it. Usually if a lot of people have it, its good and probally the best for it.

You also said you never jetted it for the e-series... hmmm

Brauap
12-24-2008, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by DMC-4OOEX
You also said you never jetted it for the e-series... hmmm

ahaah!

OWNED!

12-24-2008, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Brauap
ahaah!

OWNED!

really? or are both of you the dumb ones. Dont think you realize how many different 400ex i've ridden. I rode with 6 other 400ex. Guess what one had a E-Series and was jetted. Looks like you 2 are the ones who got owned. My quad ran fine with the E-Series when I had it for a few months it wasnt studdering or anything. You think theres only 1 400ex in the garage? You FAIL!

Ryan'07400ex
12-24-2008, 01:24 PM
Well i mostly trail ride nad a 400ex stock is enough for me honestly but I want it to be a little louder nad occasionaly for fun we race and isn't the ironamn supposedly for highend so shouldn't it beat a 400ex with ballance if neither are jetted or any other mods to it?
I don't want to be same as my friends i don't care what everyone has. I think my friend has full x6, jetted, hinson clutch something and some other assecories.
I'm only 14 years old making 50 bucks month plus maybe a little extra for random jobs. Then take away 30 bucks each month for my cell phone. haha. So i want something good but not a bunch and sparks is usely a bunch $$$:devil:

12-24-2008, 01:49 PM
really? or are both of you the dumb ones. Dont think you realize how many different 400ex i've ridden. I rode with 6 other 400ex. Guess what one had a E-Series and was jetted. Looks like you 2 are the ones who got owned. My quad ran fine with the E-Series when I had it for a few months it wasnt studdering or anything. You think theres only 1 400ex in the garage? You FAIL!

Ill give you this one, but you said in the past that you only threw it on for a while and never jetted it until you got the hmf.

So you never gave it a chance to put a bunch of disks in and jet it. I bet it would be different.

12-24-2008, 02:49 PM
Ill give you this one, but you said in the past that you only threw it on for a while and never jetted it until you got the hmf.

So you never gave it a chance to put a bunch of disks in and jet it. I bet it would be different.

Dyno's dont lie lol The HMF slip on made more power than the E-Series full system.

12-24-2008, 04:09 PM
Dyno's dont lie lol The HMF slip on made more power than the E-Series full system.

If dyno's dont lie then there are a couple brands that make more power the hmf.
Sparks, DMC, LRD, etc.

HMF is a good exhaust for the price but it's not like the best ever made. They have an exhaust for every quad made lol. And ive seen a couple on a couple different models and they're all almost identical.

400ex28
12-24-2008, 04:12 PM
In the end the e-series is still gay. :)

rcatvrider
12-24-2008, 04:31 PM
It was funny looking at a mag with my friends the other day, they all thought white bros had the best piped and would just skim over the sparks, motoworks, and hmf's. I had to point them out and they were like, oh. Them somone said a full yosh is $1700 but that's another story...

As for what exhaust, performance and budget are the main factors. You can customize hmf's with colors and tips sot hey will look different, and if you don't buy the sparks, but have enough money that would be stupid. It has the best power. What's better, better power or getting smoked kuz you wanted something different.

12-24-2008, 05:22 PM
If dyno's dont lie then there are a couple brands that make more power the hmf.
Sparks, DMC, LRD, etc.

HMF is a good exhaust for the price but it's not like the best ever made. They have an exhaust for every quad made lol. And ive seen a couple on a couple different models and they're all almost identical.

lets see the graphs. I know the one site has all the exhaust tested but you have to read because the HMF was only a slip on.

exrider49
12-24-2008, 06:10 PM
a slip on is basically a noise maker, yeah it improves horsepower on the dyno but some of you make it sound like its gonna be fast as 450... your not gonna notice the 1.2hp difference between lets the hmf and the yoshimura... get what you think looks the best for the price..if you want to be different look into a motoworks, i recently got one for my ltr 450 and i couldnt be happier with it...it bolted up perfectly and sounds great...my buddy got a hmf iron man for his ltr and one of the brackets is about 3/4" from mounting up..i also had troubles bolting my hmf slip on on my 400ex, the tabs didnt want to line up right i had to slot the upper tab on the exhaust another 1/2" for it to bolt right up..any one else run into this problem?? i had 2 of them now with the same problem i duno if its my luck or poor quality but other than that i loved my hmf's.. also..rcatvrider.."What's better, better power or getting smoked kuz you wanted something different." you wouldnt notice that slight difference in power and it wont make you lose a race or anything there is more skill and weight involved in that..if i remember it was like 7lbs.=1hp?? correct me if im worng..

rcatvrider
12-24-2008, 06:11 PM
Here's an exhaust shootout. http://www.atvmagonline.com/output.cfm?ID=30961

rcatvrider
12-24-2008, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by exrider49
a slip on is basically a noise maker, yeah it improves horsepower on the dyno but some of you make it sound like its gonna be fast as 450... your not gonna notice the 1.2hp difference between lets the hmf and the yoshimura... get what you think looks the best for the price..if you want to be different look into a motoworks, i recently got one for my ltr 450 and i couldnt be happier with it...it bolted up perfectly and sounds great...my buddy got a hmf iron man for his ltr and one of the brackets is about 3/4" from mounting up..i also had troubles bolting my hmf slip on on my 400ex, the tabs didnt want to line up right i had to slot the upper tab on the exhaust another 1/2" for it to bolt right up..any one else run into this problem?? i had 2 of them now with the same problem i duno if its my luck or poor quality but other than that i loved my hmf's.. also..rcatvrider.."What's better, better power or getting smoked kuz you wanted something different." you wouldnt notice that slight difference in power and it wont make you lose a race or anything there is more skill and weight involved in that..if i remember it was like 7lbs.=1hp?? correct me if im worng.. Anything over a pony or two is usually noticeable depending on the rider. An exhaust definitely does make a difference. Ride the same quad with a crappy system then jump on one with a high quality system and the difference is noticable, especially with 400+cc quads. It may not be the difference between winning a race or not, but why not queeze out as much power as you can. Plus if you do motor work a high quality exhaust will really shine compared to a lesser quality unit.

exrider49
12-24-2008, 06:25 PM
very true also if you look at it that way, especially if your on a budget, but if your learning towards motor work in the future, save more and go with a full system....i never thought i was gonna do motor work to my 400 then the top end needed replaced so i ended up doin a little and wished i would have had a full system to get the advantages from it

12-24-2008, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by rcatvrider
Here's an exhaust shootout. http://www.atvmagonline.com/output.cfm?ID=30961

Thats the one I was talking about the HMF is a slip on that they tested not the full system. Also you dont need a fullsystem off the bat. Buy a used HMF for $150 or so then send it off to be converted for $250 and you have a full system thats beast for $400.

12-24-2008, 10:43 PM
Thats the one I was talking about the HMF is a slip on that they tested not the full system. Also you dont need a fullsystem off the bat. Buy a used HMF for $150 or so then send it off to be converted for $250 and you have a full system thats beast for $400.
Which pipe there had the second highest hp next to the curtis sparks? DMC fo sho:muscle:

And yeah it may just be a slip on, but you yourself and many others claim the stock header is already pretty good on the 400ex. So of course a header aint gonna do much on that shootout.

Whats even more pathetic.. the fmf powercore slipon which everyone rags on all the time still made more hp then the hmf slip on:ermm:

12-25-2008, 09:54 AM
my t4 made a big difference on mine.. and it sounds good..

iownatoyota
01-03-2009, 02:42 AM
the three best system have to be the Duncan Fatboy 4, the new motoworks system and HMF.

in the end the HMF is usually cheaper so run with it if your low on cash. i personally luv the fatboy 4 and the motoworks pipe is pretty sick for the price.

gcart2
01-03-2009, 06:39 AM
My friend just got a slip on. It sounds pretty bad and looks trick.

thats all a slip on does.

buy a sport series full system. i had one on my 400ex and good lord... serious power increase. IMO they are not that loud. they are very deep. they sound really good.

i have an ironman on my 450 and its amazing.

01-03-2009, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by gcart2

buy a sport series full system. i had one on my 400ex and good lord... serious power increase. IMO they are not that loud. they are very deep. they sound really good.

Thats all a slip on does? You have to be kidding me:rolleyes:

ATV's are not like cars. The majority of the power is made in the silencer, NOT the header. As a matter of fact the header almost does nothing on the 400ex because the stock isn't all too bad. Unless it's a specially designed head like the old Duncan, DMC, etc.

If you threw a header on the 400ex with the stock muffler, it would do absolute crap. You would never know its on there.

Two-strokes make all their power in the headers, four-stroke ATV's make it in the silencer because none of the stock headers are super restrictive.

Ryan'07400ex
01-04-2009, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by gcart2

Well my friend that has that slip on ballance can beat me now and we used to be even every time unless one started bad. He always had a better start than me with the pipe and then we would stay even after we both topped out in 5th gear.
I don't have 500, 300 is alot easier for me.

01-04-2009, 01:53 PM
Full system on the 400ex isnt a huge deal. Like Eric mentioned its a lot to do with the silencer. The difference between the slip on and full is around 1HP. Still an area to gain but it isnt much for the price. Now if you have a big bore its a good investment to go full. If you look at all the old articles on the 400ex they all mention usually how Honda oversized the stock headers and a slip on was all it really needed. $250 more for 1HP eh eventually i'll do it but thats after a new piston and cam