PDA

View Full Version : AMR stage 3 rev box

400ex07
10-01-2008, 08:23 AM
Does anyone know anything about the AMR stage 3 rev box and coil? Its Item #360093923117 on Ebay. Is it worth getting?

leasureryan
10-01-2008, 08:57 AM
Rev boxs (cdi's) and coils are a waste in my opinion. Unless you have a stroker that makes all it's power up top, you don't need this. All it does is remove your rev limiter. Why would you want that? Coils??? what....the quad isn't getting enough spark to ignite your fuel??? These coils are a silly investment as well. You can onlt push so many volts through a spark plug. Increasing the volts will do what? Make your spark bigger? NO! it does nothing for power gains

ONLY reason IMO, to purchase and aftermarket coil and CDI, is to replace expensive OEM parts with cheaper aftermarket items. Other than that....you can spend your money on that junk all day long. Me.....I'm going to go purchase the things that keeps me where I like to be....in the FRONT of the pack! I invest in things that give me REAL GAINS!!!

for less money than those 2 electrical items......you could buy a 450R carb, and see MUCH better gains!!!

Leadfootracing1
10-01-2008, 07:31 PM
First to correct the guy before me........ stroker motors make all their power down low in the rpm range, so a CDI on there would be totally pointless..... but on a normal 400 motor that is over square to begin with (piston bigger then stroke). So they can benifit from a CDI because not only will a CDI make the rev limit higher, it will also give you a harder advance curve (puts more advance in sooner) that will give you more power on the bottom end as well as alowing you to pull just a little longer on the top end.
But if you never hit your factory rev limit now, you wont even notice the higher limit, just the advance on the low end! (but on a stock machine you will get more from a timing key) hopes this helps!!

Wheelie
10-01-2008, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Leadfootracing1
First to correct the guy before me........ stroker motors make all their power down low in the rpm range, so a CDI on there would be totally pointless..... but on a normal 400 motor that is over square to begin with (piston bigger then stroke). So they can benifit from a CDI because not only will a CDI make the rev limit higher, it will also give you a harder advance curve (puts more advance in sooner) that will give you more power on the bottom end as well as alowing you to pull just a little longer on the top end.
But if you never hit your factory rev limit now, you wont even notice the higher limit, just the advance on the low end! (but on a stock machine you will get more from a timing key) hopes this helps!!

And I will correct you. A stock 400ex makes peak power at 7k RPM, the stock rev limit is 9100rpm so higher revs gains nothing on an internally stock EX engine.

Your comment about strokers is incorrect. My stroker pulls hard to the stock rev limiter at 9100. I ran a AMR Stg 2 box for awhile and my quad pulled hard to the higher rev limit of that box at about 10k.

IMO--Avoid AMR CDI's, their coils are great, their CDI's have issues. I sent back 2 and gave up.

400ex07
10-01-2008, 09:02 PM
I already ordered the timing advance key. Im hoping its worth it. I have read a lot of great things about it. I think I decided against a rev box because I mostly wanted it for slight power and to get rid of the annoying reverse rev limit and not being able to start in reverse. I plan on just cutting the wire that makes that happen.

10-01-2008, 09:14 PM
yeah about the strokers my friend had a 440 stroker and it pulled an extra 1,000 RPM and higher gear with no problem. It didnt even struggle in high RPM it just pulled all the way just as hard