PDA

View Full Version : Plastic (Honda vs. Maier)

bwarren
10-01-2008, 07:09 AM
I'm looking to replace the plastic on my 05 400EX. Does anyone have ANY opinions (quality, etc.) on Honda OEM vs. Maier?? Leaning towarrd black. Also, is 06 Honda Black the SAME COLOR AS 07 Black?? Turns out the rear 07 fender (in black) is quite a bit cheaper than the 06 - 06 front fenders are cheaper than 07 - go figure!! I LOVE the Maier black carbon fiber!! VERY EXPENSIVE!! :-)

Thanx in advance for everyone's feedback

400ex07
10-01-2008, 07:42 AM
In my Opinion The Maier don't mount up as good as the stock. And they didnt line up very well. The black should be exactly the same. I think the only thing that was changed between 2006 and 2007 was the design of the decals

Wheelie
10-01-2008, 08:17 AM
If the color you want is offered by Honda OE, then buy Honda. IMO, only buy Maier if the color you want isn't offered buy Honda. Maiers fit and finish isn't as good as the stock fenders.

leasureryan
10-01-2008, 08:44 AM
not to mention that Maier plastics are like 1/2 as thick, meaning that they stress, bend, break and crack twice as fast. Honda line is about the same price, but if you are after a fancy hood or plastics, you have to go aftermarket

scuzz
10-01-2008, 09:24 AM
Although the Maier plastics look better and as was mentioned before they bend easier and crack easier. I had a puddy have his 400EX on a trailer backwards and the wind actually made one of his rear fenders warp and stay higher than the other.

That's right, the wind alone.

I'd go with the stock hondas even scratched before the Maier's.

BlasterEaten250
10-01-2008, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Wheelie
If the color you want is offered by Honda OE, then buy Honda. IMO, only buy Maier if the color you want isn't offered buy Honda. Maiers fit and finish isn't as good as the stock fenders. I haven't had any problems with bending or cracking, they just don't seem to line up as good as OEM and they flop a lot in the back, even with the brace

10-01-2008, 02:02 PM
i am going to go opposite of everyone else here...my maiers have never bent, cracked or anything...they are just as thick as honda ones...that is why i put the on the ex i just got a few months ago...i even trailered the first one sideways for about 50 miles one way, no bending or warping there...it made a few trips that way actually

fit was just as good, every thing lined right up...

the only problem that i had was the first set of fronts were a factory blem...i bought it knowing it was a factory blem that was slightly twisted...you could hardly tell when mounted

mooseracerX
10-01-2008, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by leasureryan
not to mention that Maier plastics are like 1/2 as thick, meaning that they stress, bend, break and crack twice as fast. Honda line is about the same price, but if you are after a fancy hood or plastics, you have to go aftermarket
I'm not sure which Maier plastic you got but the stuff I got is like twice as thick. It is some of the strongest plastic I have seen. Fit and finish was great too. So far I've found nothing wrong with it.

Ruby Soho
10-01-2008, 05:50 PM
x2 about the maiers..

mine are much thicker, lined up fine, and are holding up awesome

id go maiers.

scuzz
10-01-2008, 08:05 PM
I can't answer the thickness question, but I can tell you he bought a second set and they crack. (might not be Maer (sp?) fault though, it was a rollover.

10-02-2008, 01:33 AM
My maiers are fine, slight lining up probs but deffinatly thick enough and no warping, cracking or distosion issues.